Executive Director of Human Resources
University Code 23914 University Title Senior Administrator, Human Resources University Job Family Human Resources ORP Eligible Yes For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search National Working Title Executive Director of Human Resources Position Number FAC890 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group Executive & Senior Level Leadership Department VP Health Sciences Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Office of the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences ( OSVPHS ) enthusiastically invites candidates for the role of Executive Director of Human Resources. Located on Virginia Commonwealth University’s MCV Campus in Richmond, and in partnership with the VCU Health System, the OSVPHS oversees the College of Health Professions, the four health sciences schools (Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing and Pharmacy) as well as the Massey Cancer Center. The Executive Director of Human Resources serves in an HR leadership role for the campus and is expected to:
– Provide guidance and resources to health sciences HR professionals, school/unit leadership, and university partners in the areas of recruitment and hiring, faculty appointments, contract administration, compensation and pay actions, performance management, policy interpretation and implementation, etc.
– Provide sound guidance on a variety of complex and sensitive faculty personnel matters, partnering closely with VCU’s Office of Faculty Affairs, VCU Human Resources, the Office of University Counsel, the Office of Integrity and Compliance, the Office of Equity and Access Services, and other relevant stakeholders as needed.
– Support strategic personnel initiatives by leading and/or serving on various university committees and work groups, assessing current approaches, and helping to develop new tools or protocols when needed.
– Partner with the Office of Faculty Affairs and VCU Human Resources on the development and/or revision or policies, procedures, forms, guidelines, contract templates, reports, etc. to maximize efficiencies and serve stakeholder needs.
– Oversee centralized HR functions for a staff of ~60 (including non-benefited) employees housed directly within the Office of the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences.
This position is supported by and directly supervises an Investigations and Compliance Manager, an HR Specialist, and an Administrative Coordinator.
Minimum Hiring Standards
– Bachelor’s degree
– At least 5-7 years of progressive human resources leadership experience, with some experience in a higher education setting.
– Proven ability to develop relationships and build partnerships with internal teams and stakeholders in a diverse organization.
– Knowledge of VCU Human Resources policies and procedures, as well as demonstrated experience understanding and applying state and federal employment laws.
– Demonstrated ability to interpret policies, analyze data, and make sound, independent recommendations and decisions.
– A strong commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion that includes demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment, or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU.
– Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively at both the operational and executive leadership levels of the University.
– Ability to manage multiple competing priorities and prioritize assignments while maintaining impeccable attention to detail.
– Demonstrated ability to handle highly sensitive information appropriately and with discretion.
– Exceptional analytical and planning skills with the ability to think innovatively and develop creative solutions.
– Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment and provide excellent customer service.
– Technological proficiency, to include working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Google Suite, etc.
Preferred Hiring Standards
– A degree in a related field such as HR, public administration, business, etc.
– Advanced degree, or equivalent work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree (preferably in a relevant field)
– Relevant HR certification, such as SHRM - SCP or CP, SPHR or PHR, etc.
– Direct experience with faculty human resources administration
– Supervisory experience
– Familiarity with VCU’s organizational structure and particularly the role of HR staff in an academic environment, including faculty HR policies such as tenure and hiring
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range Up to $135,000, commensurate with experience and qualifications Application Process/Additional Information
Please note – Candidates who apply by the priority deadline of May 21, 2021 will be considered first.
For more information about the Office of the Senior Vice President for Health Sciences, please visit https://healthsciences.vcu.edu/. Additional questions regarding this posting can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As a preeminent national, urban, public research university and academic health center, Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to organizational diversity, equity and inclusion – an environment where all can thrive in their pursuit of excellence.
Applicants are requested to submit a Statement of Contributions to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (typically between 150-300 words) providing your career aspirations and contributions toward promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion. Through this statement, you can share how your lived experiences; and past, present, and future academic and professional activities have or will contribute to VCU’s mission of promoting equity and inclusion.
Note: Examples include working with others to further the goals of equity and inclusion; leading in any capacity that tangibly promotes an environment where diversity is welcomed, fostered, and celebrated; creative activity, research and scholarship that promotes equity and parity; teaching and mentoring students, and/or engaging with faculty and/or staff from traditionally underrepresented groups to create a positive and successful organizational experience.
Campus MCV Campus Hours/Week 40 Normal Work Days/Hours Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 a.m. Job Open Date 04/22/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/105481 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Please indicate your education level
- No college degree
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Advanced degree
- How many years of experience do you have in an HR leadership
- 0 - 4
- 5 - 7
- 8 - 10
- More than 10
- How many years of experience do you have dealing with faculty
- 0 - 4
- 5 - 7
- 8 - 10
- More than 10
- Please describe your experience advising on complex and/or
sensitive personnel matters, such as disciplinary actions.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Diversity Statement (Required for all Faculty)
- Other Document
More searches like this
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Academic Administration Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Richmond