Learning Systems Developer II - Remote Opportunity
Learning Systems Developer II - Remote Opportunity
Founded in 1898, Northeastern is a global research university and the recognized leader in experience-driven lifelong learning. Our world-renowned experiential approach empowers our students, faculty, alumni, and partners to create impact far beyond the confines of discipline, degree, and campus.
Our locations—in Boston; Charlotte, North Carolina; London; Portland, Maine; San Francisco; Seattle; Silicon Valley; Toronto; Vancouver; and the Massachusetts communities of Burlington and Nahant—are nodes in our growing global university system. Through this network, we expand opportunities for flexible, student-centered learning and collaborative, solutions-focused research.
Northeastern's comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs— in a variety of on-campus and online formats—lead to degrees through the doctorate in nine colleges and schools. Among these, we offer more than 195 multi-discipline majors and degrees designed to prepare students for purposeful lives and careers.
About the Opportunity:
The Academic Technologies (AT) team at Northeastern University (NU) seeks a motivated, self-starting individual to be a member of our dynamic team as a Learning Systems Developer. The successful candidate will be a key link between the AT team and technical partners in Information Technology Services and throughout the university. This team member creates and maintains innovative and data-ready technological solutions that leverage both new technologies and technologies that are standard across the university.
As a Learning Systems Developer at NU, your primary objective will be to support and enhance the teaching and learning enterprise through maintaining operations of the learning management environment (Canvas and integrated tools), assisting in the development of new solutions, partnering with departmental staff and other university contacts, documenting systems to allow for support and integration, and working as part of a team with colleagues across the university.
- Participate fully in building, configuring and running the learning management environment (Canvas and integrated systems) at scale.
- Monitor and maintain the health and integrity of Canvas and integrated systems.
- Perform maintenance work, upgrade work, troubleshooting, and bug fixing as necessary.
- Generate reports as needed.
- Operate outside standard business hours when mission-critical systems are experiencing outages or degradation in service.
- Assist in managing and enforcing LMS standards, policies, and procedures.
- Serve as escalated contact for support issues, including interactions with LMS(s) and related supported services.
- Assist in implementing robust and secure learning management environment solutions that support our initiatives of integration with third-party learning experience tools and learning analytics tools
- Assist in defining and tracking performance metrics to ensure efficient current and future use of IT resources
- Research new technologies to help optimize business processes
- In collaboration with end-users and customer-facing AT and ITS staff, gather requirements for, implement, and maintain learning management environment solutions that are responsive to end-user needs
- Work closely with the feeds integration team, business intelligence team, customer experience team, and research computing to build and maintain robust systems that meet the needs of the university community.
- Build and maintain relationships with external vendor technicians and engineers
- Attend educational technology centric conferences relevant to the mission of AT at NU. Contribute knowledge to the Academic Technologies team of technology, practices and trends from the field that influence teaching and learning with technology.
- Create and maintain Service-Now knowledgebase documentation according to ITS standards and oversee junior staff knowledgebase efforts.
- Document requirements and functionality for learning management environment systems
- Interface with senior management to organize and contribute to internal documentation, external documentation strategy, and communication strategy
Team Operations and Professional Development
- Mentor student staff and interns; template work that can be performed by junior staff and work with them to increase their capacity to contribute to the department as individual contributors.
- Actively communicate progress through departmental project management processes and participate in reviews with technical staff and senior management
- Demonstrate a commitment to Academic Technologies' values of Purpose, Growth, Presence, and Contribution
- Other relevant duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in related field and six (6) years of related experience in systems analysis, software development, programming, or technical support.
- Knowledge and understanding of university organization, goals and objectives, and policies and procedures
- Experience in higher ed, or other academic or research community environment
- Possess deep functional knowledge of learning management systems, educational technology, computer programming, systems analysis, design or systems administration.
- Strong working knowledge of data systems and integration techniques, including SIS data integration
- Excellent skills with testing and debugging techniques
- Knowledge of service management and ITIL processes
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to the changing technical environment
- Demonstrated experience integrating current and emerging technologies in support of teaching and learning
- Proficiency with common educational technology tools and the management of LTI, APIs, and other integration techniques (Canvas, Microsoft Office 365, Panopto, LTI standards, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to troubleshoot issues, perform root cause analysis, work with vendor contacts and support systems, and collaborate directly with the ITS Customer Experience organization to resolve faculty and student support requests
- Ability and willingness to learn new technologies and remain current in developing trends in the teaching and learning community
- Ability to communicate and document clearly
- Desire for continuous self-improvement and maintenance of skills through training and demonstrated commitment to professional growth
- Curious by nature and unafraid of asking questions
- Position requires excellent dependability, integrity, and confidentiality
- Self-starter, with a proven track record for creativity and initiative
- Able to prioritize multiple projects and work streams in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work after standard business hours on occasion when mission-critical systems are experiencing outages or degradation in service.
- Master's degree in related field and two (4) years of progressive experience in systems analysis and programming
- Experience with accessibility standards for web applications
A criminal background check is required for this role.
This is a remote opportunity.
Northeastern University is an equal opportunity employer, seeking to recruit and support a broadly diverse community of faculty and staff. Northeastern values and celebrates diversity in all its forms and strives to foster an inclusive culture built on respect that affirms inter-group relations and builds cohesion.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
To learn more about Northeastern University's commitment and support of diversity and inclusion, please see www.northeastern.edu/diversity.
To apply, visit https://careers.pageuppeople.com/879/cw/en-us/job/506174