Assistant Director of Office of Multicultural Affairs
Assistant Director of Office of Multicultural Affairs
Job ID: 226435
Location: Statesboro, Georgia
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Join Our Team at Georgia Southern!
Georgia Southern is a dynamic university with three vibrant campuses in Hinesville, Savannah and Statesboro serving the communities in Southeast Georgia. As a Carnegie Doctoral/R2 institution, our world-class scholars instruct about 26,000 students in associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral level degree programs. Whether you are seeking the charm of a small town, the traditions of a historical/urban destination near the beach or supporting our military service members and their families, Georgia Southern offers its faculty and staff the best of all worlds!
Beyond an ideal location, there is a place for you to work in an exciting environment abounding with opportunities for personal and professional growth. We are steeped in tradition and devoted to academic distinction in teaching, scholarship and service. In 2018 Forbes Magazine listed Georgia Southern, along with 10 other Georgia companies or institutions, as one of America's Best Midsize Employers. Georgia Southern University is passionate about serving our region while preparing our students to be lifelong scholars, leaders, and responsible stewards of their communities and the world.
0410901 - Multicultural Services
Advocate and champion across the University for diversified populations and inclusiveness. Educate community regarding issues of diversity, inclusiveness, social justice, international student affairs and differences. Assist in increasing the access, retention and success of historically underrepresented students, focusing their engagement in academic initiatives and co-curricular activities that facilitate student success.
- Perform related duties as assigned to support the mission of the University
- Budget management
- Create and facilitate training and workshops related to inclusive excellence
- Administer initiatives to enhance academic monitoring
- Mentor and coach individual and small groups of students
- Develop and engage students in activities that develop cultural competence and essential skills for navigating the campus as well as the professional world
- Advise and train peer mentors and educators
- Assist in the enhancement of University culture that welcomes and celebrates all students through the infusion of diversity and inclusion throughout the college experience
- Supervise coordinator and graduate assistants
- Bachelors degree
- Three (3) or more years of related work experience
Additional Preferred Qualifications
- Understanding of student learning theories
Preferred Educational Qualifications
- Masters degree
- Experience in community development
- Experience working with diverse populations
$40,200 - $45,924
Required Documents to Attach
- Please provide three (3) professional references in the Required Documents to Attach section of your application.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Consistently exhibit engaging customer service
- Navigate web access and email with or without reasonable accommodation
- Proven proficiency with computers including Microsoft Office, Google, and/or applications as required for specific position
- Ability to work well in a diverse environment
- Exhibit personal code of ethics within professional practice
- Commitment to development of campus environment through student-centered, collaborative teamwork across the University
- Ability to identify and address problems, formulate rules, articulate policies and rules to internal and external constituents
- Ability to respond effectively to the sensitive inquiries or complaints
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and secure information sensitive in nature
- Ability to work collaboratively and independently
- Adhere to University policies and procedures to meet Institutional goals and support University's mission for student success
- Thorough knowledge of emerging trends and needs of students
- Demonstrate commitment to inclusiveness by working well with diverse populations
- Demonstrate appropriate organizational skills as required for specific position
- Skilled in assessment and improvement of Student Affairs programs in higher education
- Demonstrated leadership and project management skills
- Problem-solving and team building experience
- Effective communication (verbal and written)/presentation, organizational and human relations skills
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion
Apply Before Date
May 26, 2021
For more information or questions about a job posting, please contact the Department of Human Resources by phone at (912) 478-6947 or by email at email@example.com.
For technical support, please call the Shared Services Center at (877) 251-2644 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions of Employment
- Georgia Southern University is a Tobacco and Smoke-Free Community.
- Successful completion of background investigation and legal authorization to work in the US prior to employment
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of background investigation including a criminal background check demonstrating your eligibility for employment with Georgia Southern University, as determined by Georgia Southern University in its sole discretion, confirmation of the credentials and employment history reflected in your application materials and, if applicable, a satisfactory credit check. Applicants may be subject to a pre-employment drug test.
Offers are made expressly subject to the applicable federal and state laws, to the statutes, rules and regulations of this institution and to the Bylaws and Policies of the Board of Regents (BOR) of the University System of Georgia (USG), which are available for your inspection upon request.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Georgia Southern University provides equal opportunities to all employees and applicant for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, or disability. Individuals in need of reasonable accommodations under the America with Disabilities Act to participate in the search process should notify Human Resources: (912) 478-6947.
- Must be able to perform duties and responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Work generally performed in office environment
- Workweek may occasionally extend beyond 40 hours
- Work in direct contact with a diverse and dynamic student population
- Travel required
Standard and Education
Believing that diversity, equity, and inclusion contribute to excellence in the workplace and to the quality of the University's academic environment, Georgia Southern University is committed to recruiting and retaining diverse faculty and staff to support, promote, and serve a diverse student body and promote Inclusive Excellence. Candidates from historically underrepresented groups, whose work furthers the institution's Inclusive Excellence goals, and who bring to campus varied life experiences, perspectives and backgrounds are especially encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=39000&JobOpeningId=226435&PostingSeq=1