Dean - School of Humanities and Social Science (Ref. 2021/135/01)
CUHK(SZ) is a research-intensive university with an international outlook, with roots in the educational philosophy and academic systems of The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). Located in Longgang District of Shenzhen, CUHK(SZ) was established in 2014 as a Mainland-Hong Kong joint venture collaboration with generous support from the Shenzhen Municipal Government. The mission of CUHK(SZ) is to advance the creation, preservation, application and dissemination of knowledge through the pursuit of excellence in teaching, research and public service in a diverse range of disciplines, thereby serving the needs and enhancing the well-being of the citizens of the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, China as a whole, and the wider world community.
CUHK(SZ) currently offers a broad spectrum of courses in its five Schools, including the School of Management and Economics; the School of Science and Engineering; the School of Humanities and Social Science; the School of Life and Health Sciences; and the School of Data Science. There are also 2 new schools being established, viz. School of Medicine and School of Music. To date, more than 7,500 undergraduate and postgraduate students are studying at CUHK(SZ); over time, student enrollments will grow to 7,500 undergraduate and 3,500 postgraduate students recruited from within China and overseas. English is the main medium of course instruction, and graduates are awarded CUHK degrees. The majority of the first three cohorts of graduates have proceeded to graduate studies abroad and those pursuing professional development are highly successful.
Further information about CUHK(SZ) may be found online at http://www.cuhk.edu.cn/.
The objective of the School of Humanities and Social Science is to provide foundations in humanities and social science for students, in order for them to gain insights into the past, while enabling them to critically examine contemporary issues, and explore answers for a sustainable future. The students, therefore, can be better positioned to respond to challenges facing China and the world. In the beginning years of study, the School offers core courses of the University, ranging from language courses to General Education foundation and elective courses, including IT and PE courses. The curricula focus on developing students’ analytical abilities, critical comprehension, effective communication skills, IT literacy, as well as physical fitness, which are essential to the students’ further studies and lifelong learning. Currently the School offers degree programs in Translation, English Studies, Applied Psychology, and Global Studies.
For the next phase of development, the Dean will lead the School to develop into a non-traditional School of Humanities and Social Science with a focus on interdisciplinary studies and research, integrating the East and the West, and the utilization of digital humanities tools. As the academic and executive head of the School, the Dean will provide academic leadership in terms of both academic program development and recruitment of high calibre academic/non-academic staff and students. The Dean will be a member of the University senior management team, reporting to the President via the Vice-President (Academic). The Dean will be concurrently appointed as a full professor. Salary and benefits package for the position will be internationally competitive, commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
Candidates should have:
- outstanding academic credentials appropriate for appointment at the level of a full Professor in the School;
- international standing and community recognition in the relevant fields in the range of intellectual interests represented in the School and in the University;
- demonstrated capability of academic leadership, including management and administration in higher education institutions;
- long-term vision and willingness to adopt interdisciplinary approach with an innovative mindset;
- deep understanding of the Chinese culture, with international experience and exposure to the East and West blend;
- passion, devotion and commitment to build the School under the operating environment in the Mainland;
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills to engage both internal and external stakeholders effectively;
- high visibility in the international academic community.
Applications and Nominations
Application and nominations or enquiries should be sent in strict confidence to the Search Committee for Dean of School of Humanities and Social Science, CUHK(SZ):
c/o Mr. Peter Liu, Asianet Consultants
firstname.lastname@example.org; Tel: (852) 2530 0137
Consideration of applications/nominations will continue until the position is filled.
Apply for Dean - School of Humanities and Social Science (Ref. 2021/135/01)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in China
- Education Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in China
- Education Administration & Leadership Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in China
- Humanities Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in China
- Foreign Languages & Literatures Tenured/Tenured Track Competitive Full Time jobs in China