Assistant Director of Residence Life & Housing
Concordia University Chicago (CUC) invites applications for the full-time, exempt position of Assistant Director of Residence Life & Housing. This is a live-on campus position located in River Forest, IL and reports to the Director of Residence Life and Housing.
The Assistant Director of Residence Life and Housing serves as a senior staff member within the Department of Residence Life and focuses on the day-to-day logistics and operations within the department, as well as the Residential Education for our student leaders. This position plays a key role in the strategic planning of the department with a focus on operations and residential education. A successful candidate in this position, will be committed to living out the Christian faith in his/her daily interactions, embracing Christian values in a collegiate setting, a strong supporter of the University's mission, and a skilled student development educator.
It is critical this position focuses on creating efficient operational practices that intentionally apply a focus on student learning, growth, and development. He/she is directly responsible for the strategic planning, organization, and execution of housing operations including marketing/promotions of University residence halls, room assignments, billing, and front desk management in the residence halls. This position is directly responsible for overseeing the occupancy management on campus, managing the Residence Life database software (StarRez), creating efficient management systems and directly supervising the room selection process for both new and returning students. This position is a key decision maker in the strategic short term and long term strategic planning of the department and provides support in creating an intentional residential curriculum focused on the learning, growth, and development of students, and assists in the oversight of a staff development model that creates enriched learning opportunities as well as skill development. This position serves in a mentoring capacity and will provide direction to professional and undergraduate staff. Additionally, this position is the direct supervisor to the Coordinator of Housing and Residential Education (RD Collaboration Position within Residence Life).
TEMPORARY COVID-19 COORDINATOR:
As a temporary measure, this position will be asked to coordinate all students who test positive or need to be moved into quarantine as a precaution for COVID-19. They will be responsible for all communication to the student(s) and campus partners, as well as providing and coordination for the needs of any students in quarantine and isolation on campus.
Examples of job tasks (not all inclusive) include:
- University Housing Management
- Residential Education
- Student Success - Academic Success and Wellness
- Marketing & Promotion: Planning & Assessment
- Serve as a member of the Operations Management Council (OMC)
- Participate in an on-call emergency duty rotation throughout the year (evenings and weekends), including academic breaks providing crisis support and response to students
- Other duties as assigned that are relevant to the goals of the department
TEMPORARY COVID-19 COORDINATOR DUTIES:
- Daily tracking of population of students placed in quarantine and coordinate communication with campus partners
- Coordinate On-Site COVID-19 testing and scheduling; follow up with any missed appointments
- Manage temporary housing rosters and access
- Ensure food is delivered to students each day
- Provide lockout assistance
- Coordinate mail and package delivery
- Check rooms for readiness prior to student arrival
- Serve as a single point of contact to students in isolation/quarantine housing and connect students to campus resources (counseling, academics, maintenance issues, etc.)
- Coordinate trash collection
- Regularly communicate with students and elevate concerns to supervisory staff
- Serve as staff presence at entries of isolation/quarantine building
- Remain up to date with all CDC compliance for Higher Education and the State of Illinois
- Strong work ethic and an ability to multi-task and work comfortably in a fast pace and highly dynamic student centered environment
- Strong organizational skills demonstrating an ability to be detail oriented and to create systems that cater to the needs of students, multiple offices, and the public
- Enthusiastic supporter of Lutheran higher education and the mission, vision, and core values of Concordia University Chicago
- Comfortable to work with housing and university database systems and a fast ability and willingness to learn how to navigate those systems; Candidates with previous StarRez database experience are strongly preferred
- Practiced in using student development theory to create intentional systems to assist in the learning, growth, and development of our students
- Demonstrates strong initiative in starting up projects, making decisions based on what is best for the University, and then carrying out projects to completion
- Self-starter that has had progressive leadership in Residence Life and is comfortable playing a prominent leadership role on a professional team and partner with the Director of Residence Life in creating a dynamic program
- Ability to maintain superior levels of integrity and best practices in higher education
- Ability to act autonomously and utilize independent judgment that supports the philosophy and direction of the department required
- Apply creativity in marketing/promotions (web-based, print format, etc.)
- Proficiency in data tracking and analysis required
- Knowledge of standard software packages and programs (e.g., Microsoft Office)
- Ability to work with students in an empathetic and compassionate manner
- Ability and willingness to follow CDC guidelines pertaining to COVID-19, including utilizing PPE
- Must possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle
- Must be physically able to carry up to 20lbs up three flights of stairs
- Will be required to maintain strict confidentiality
Minimum Experience Required:
- 2-3 years of professional Residence Life experience
- Previous student affairs or health care experience preferred
Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree in student development or related area required
Compensation and Benefits:
Starting range is dependent upon individual qualifications and experience. Concordia health, disability and retirement plan enrollment is available to full-time employees and their eligible dependents. Tuition benefits are also available for employees and their qualified dependents.
Interested individuals should include a cover letter, resume and references with their online application.
Concordia does not discriminate in the employment of individuals on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, disability, sex or age. As an institution of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod, however, and to the extent allowed by law, Concordia University reserves the right to give preference in employment based upon religious affiliation.
Concordia University Chicago does not generally sponsor for employment visas except for positions that oversee, teach or support our international programs.
About Concordia University Chicago:
Concordia University Chicago is a liberal arts-based Christian university founded in the Lutheran tradition. Through its College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Education, College of Graduate Studies, and College of Innovative and Professional Programs, Concordia-Chicago offers more than 160 areas of study in small classes taught by professors who are passionate about teaching and student success. All undergraduate and graduate degrees are fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
Concordia University Chicago has been recognized as a College of Distinction since 2010, and in 2013 was named to the U.S. President's Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll for the fifth time. For the sixth consecutive year, combined undergraduate and graduate enrollment has exceeded more than 5,000 students. Concordia University Chicago is located in River Forest, 10 miles west of downtown Chicago. Learn more at CUChicago.edu.
Steadfast in Jesus Christ as revealed in the Holy Scriptures, Concordia University Chicago promotes academic rigor in its liberal arts and professional programs; grounds students in objective truth, integrity, and excellence; and practices faithfulness to the Confessional teachings of the Lutheran Church Missouri Synod, as it forms students for vocations in church, family, and the world.