EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT SPECIALIST
Executive Administrative Support Specialist
Arizona State University
Global Security Initiative
The Global Security Initiative (GSI) at ASU seeks an experienced Executive Administrative Support Specialist to provide high-quality administrative and project-based support to the unit’s executive director. The successful applicant will manage the executive director’s calendar; track, prioritize, and respond to incoming correspondence as appropriate; help the executive director prepare for meetings, presentations, and other events; supervise employees; and generally manage the day-to-day functions of the executive office. GSI is a quickly-growing organization, and this position requires responsiveness, exceptional judgment, the ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, and high level critical thinking. GSI is seeking candidates with high levels of discretion, demonstrated ability to handle confidential information, strong writing ability, proficiency in routine office software, and proven organizational skills.
$50,000 - $69,000 per year; DOE
- Proactively manages the executive director’s calendar. Responds to requests for meetings, schedules meetings, adjusts the calendar as necessary based on shifting priorities. Ensures responsiveness to requests while optimizing executive director’s time.
- Regularly reviews the calendar and pending meeting requests with the executive director to determine priorities and adjust as necessary.
- Tracks incoming correspondence (email) and responds on behalf of executive director when appropriate. Flags correspondence that requires direct executive director action and tracks progress until it is complete.
- Works closely with the executive director and the director of operations to review and adjust office processes and procedures as appropriate, to improve efficiency.
- Ensures the executive director is sufficiently prepared for meetings, events, conferences, etc. Understands and summarizes expectations of executive director in meetings/events. Provides briefing material, summaries of executive director’s event responsibilities, etc.
- Supports the executive director’s positions on external committees and study groups. Understands executive director’s priorities, role, and needs in serving on external groups.
- Directly supervises other administrative support staff in GSI.
- Builds and nurtures a strong network of administrative support staff from other ASU units.
- Implements ASU policies and procedures and ensures the office of the executive director is following those policies and procedures.
Bachelors degree in Business or field pertinent to work unit AND four (4) years of directly related administrative experience; OR, Eight (8) years of directly related administrative experience: OR, Any equivalent combination of experience and/or education from which comparable knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved.
- Ability to use effective judgement to determine which incoming requests require executive director input and which can be managed immediately.
- Ability to parse complex requests, determine where they fit in the list of priorities, and then decide on next steps.
- Experience in using effective communication skills: This person will often serve as the first point of contact for the organization, and will regularly communicate via email and phone with ASU leadership and leaders from non-ASU organizations. The ability to write professional, clear and concise communications is necessary.
- Experience in using organizational skills and ability to track incoming, pending, and completed tasks across a range of projects and requests.
- Ability to use discretion and confidentiality.
- Evidence of creativity: GSI is a growing organization, and this person will have space to develop and implement new procedures in support of the executive office.
- Ability to identify problems and challenges as they arise and independently develop and implement solutions.
- Experience in using relationship-building skills: GSI works with units across the university and with many external organizations.
- Proficiency in standard office software, including Microsoft Office, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, etc., and ability to learn new platforms.
- Experience supporting a senior-level executive.
- Experience supervising others.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Activities are primarily performed in a regular, climate-controlled office setting with daily computer use (initially remotely due to COVID-19 pandemic).
- Ability to clearly communicate with staff and partners is required.
GSI is a multi-disciplinary research and education organization that serves as ASU’s primary interface with the U.S. Dept. of Defense, U.S. Dept. of Homeland Security, and the U.S. Intelligence Community. The executive office sits at the center of all GSI lines of efforts, and the executive administrative support specialist will work closely with the executive director and director of operations to track, prioritize, and successfully conclude all efforts that require executive director attention.
Arizona State University is a new model for American higher education, an unprecedented combination of academic excellence, entrepreneurial energy and broad access. This New American University is a single, unified institution comprising four differentiated campuses positively impacting the economic, social, cultural and environmental health of the communities it serves. Its research is inspired by real world application blurring the boundaries that traditionally separate academic disciplines. ASU serves more than 80,000 students in metropolitan Phoenix, Arizona, the nation's fifth largest city. ASU champions intellectual and cultural diversity, and welcomes students from all fifty states and more than one hundred nations across the globe.
ASU is a tobacco-free university. For details visit https://wellness.asu.edu/explore-wellness/body/alcohol-and-drugs/tobacco
Arizona State University is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor and an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Notice of Availability of the ASU Annual Security and Fire Safety Report
In compliance with federal law, ASU prepares an annual report on campus security and fire safety programs and resources. ASU’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available online at https://www.asu.edu/police/PDFs/ASU-Clery-Report.pdf. You may request a hard copy of the report by contacting the ASU Police Department at 480-965-3456.
Relocation Assistance – For information about schools, housing child resources, neighborhoods, hospitals, community events, and taxes, visit https://cfo.asu.edu/relocation-services.
ASU conducts pre-employment screening which may include verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications.
Background Check Statement
ASU conducts pre-employment screening for all positions which includes a criminal background check, verification of work history, academic credentials, licenses, and certifications. Employment is contingent upon successful passing of the background check.
Instructions to Apply
Application deadline is 3:00PM Arizona time on the date indicated.
Please include all employment information in month/year format (e.g., 6/88 to 8/94), job title, job duties and name of employer for each position.
Resume and cover letter should clearly illustrate how prior knowledge and experience meets the Minimum and Desired qualifications of this position.
ASU does not pay for travel expenses associated with interviews, unless otherwise indicated.
Only electronic applications are accepted for this position.
IMPORTANT NOTE: What is the meaning of “equivalent combination” in the minimum qualifications? It means one year of higher education or 24 credit hours, is equal to one year of experience. For example, a four year Bachelor’s degree is equal to four years of experience.
To apply please go to www.asu.edu/asujobs/ see Req Id# 67437BR