Online Academic Advisor
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
• Manage cohort of students and coach through degree program;
Provide consistent and accurate advising information to
• Encourage and support students as they gain the skills and knowledge necessary for success.
• Provide a trusting environment where students can share their thoughts, aspirations, concerns, and interests.
• Provide students with the available resources to aid with their success here at the university.
• Act as the student liaison between other departments; possess a thorough understanding of university policies, procedure, requirements, and effectively communicate them to students.
• Advise students regarding academic interests, college offerings and requirements.
• Review student files to make sure that students are on track for success.
• Ensure satisfactory academic progress through graduation.
• Oversee the advising processes and support student course registration and academic planning.
• Ensure positive student experience and academic success.
• Serve as the primary contact for the day-to-day relationships around retention and advising.
• Assist students in selecting courses and combinations of courses that reflect individual interests and academic preparedness. Interpret assessment scores and facilitate decisions with students regarding placement choices within their selected program of study.
• Track student progress using the student success system and communicate plans of success to students on a regular basis.
• Assess student engagement data, participation, and virtual attendance.
• Use Dropout Detective to track student retention data and make notes about student progress.
• Meet with students in person, phone, text, and web conference providing guidance and information on the University, its programs, and available student resources.
• Assist the Director of Online and Distance Education Enrollment Management with early alert initiatives and preparing appropriate reports.
• Maintain confidentiality of records and information (FERPA Compliance).
• Maintain accurate student records.
• Maintain knowledge of all University policies and procedures, grounds and facilities, registration process, and all services provided at Husson University.
• Ability to work evenings and weekends.
• Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
• Master's Degree required.
• Appreciation for professional and online education experiences.
• 3-5 years' experience in higher education student success, teaching, and/or advising.
• Demonstrates the highest professional demeanor and ethical behavior while representing the institution
• Ability to articulate the value and benefits of a Husson education to a variety of audiences.
• Ability to work independently as well as establish and maintain collegial relations with other University staff, faculty and students.
• Ability to work collaboratively as a member of a close and integrated team of online academic professionals.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• A collaborative and transparent approach to problem-solving.
• Ability to plan, organize and implement programs and projects related to Husson University's retention and student success goals.
• Ability to interpret and carry out University policies and procedures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee will regularly speak with prospective students and enrolling students via phone and web conference.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions.
The noise level in the work environment can become loud at times depending upon the volume of calls.
Each employee shall use care in the performance of his/her duties and act in a manner that will assure maximum safety to themselves, fellow employees, and the public. All unsafe conditions, accidents and injuries shall be reported immediately to the supervisor.
*This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Tasks may be added, deleted or altered as organizational needs evolve, and employee may be required to follow any other instruction, and to perform any other related duties, that may be required by their supervisor.