Instructor - Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant (Oncology Outpatient)
PEDIATRIC - ONCOLOGY OUTPATIENT APP Needed
Scope of practice:
- Multiple clinical teams exists for which an Advanced Practice Practitioner may be hired, including but not limited to Hematology (and subspecialty), Oncology (and subspecialty), Vascular Anomalies, and Cell and Gene Therapy.
- Depending on the team identified duties may include
- Manage outpatient and/or inpatient care for designated patients in a tertiary hospital setting.
- Inpatient clinical time may include weekend rounds or night coverage.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team including Attending Physicians, Hematology-Oncology fellows, Pediatric Residents, Nurses and Pharmacists to provide optimal care to identified patient population.
- Perform procedures (bone marrow, lumbar puncture) on patients as indicated.
- Clinical or basic science research opportunities may be available on a case by case basis and may be discussed with Section leadership during the application process.
Provides advanced nursing care to patients in a clinical setting in an area of specialization under the direction of a physician.
- Obtain detailed history and perform physical examinations.
- Perform, order, and interpret diagnostic procedures in accordance with relevant health concerns of the patient.
- Prescribes appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments.
- Maintain records and write orders and progress notes in patient charts as to status, treatments, and procedures.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical records.
- Provide follow-up health maintenance care to patients in accordance with protocols established with the supervising physician.
- Communicate with physicians, patients, and the family members of patients concerning patient care.
- Collaborates with providers, and practice staff in identifying appropriate patients for care management.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Education Required:
- For Nurse Practitioner: Master’s degree in in Nursing.
- For Physician Assistant: Master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies. NOTE: Bachelor's degree in Physician Assistant Studies accepted based on terminal degree requirements at time of graduation.
- Experience Required: None required.
- For Nurse Practitioner: Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing. Current Texas Licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN-NP), and specialty certification as required by department.
- For Physician Assistant: Current license as a Physician Assistant by the State of Texas Physician Assistant Board. Specialty certification as required by department.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.