Security Assistant (Part-Time)
SECURITY ASSISTANT (PART-TIME)
Truman College is looking for a Security Assistant. Under general supervision, and reporting to the Director or Assistant Director of Security, patrols and monitors buildings, grounds and other areas at campuses to ensure the safety and security of students, faculty, staff and the general public.
This is unarmed position that support Security Officers and the activities of the OSS.
- Provides a uniformed presence at an assigned college or the District Office, monitoring access and entry to buildings for the safety and security of students, employees and the general public.
- Patrols on foot and in a vehicle to provide security and watch for unusual or suspicious activities, and monitors activities in campus buildings and surrounding grounds to guard against crime, theft and vandalism.
- Notifies supervisor and Security Officers on duty of disturbances and/or irregularities. Contacts emergency responders such as police, fire, and/or ambulance personnel, as required.
- Issues student identification cards, verifying student information and uses an ID Badging system with printer to create student identification cards.
- Provides security escort services as needed to and from buildings and parking areas on campus. Responds to service calls and alarms and takes appropriate actions.
- Informs and warns violators of any City Colleges of Chicago policy violations as appropriate.
- Provides public assistance to students, faculty and the general public, providing information such as directions, office locations, and general campus information.
- Operates two-way radio equipment to maintain communications with supervisors and other security personnel.
- Updates operations and incident logs to record activities during assigned shift.
- Assists Security Officers in carrying out security and safety duties as directed.
Qualifications - External
Education, Training and Experience
- Associate’s Degree in criminal justice studies from an accredited college is preferred.
- Permanent Employee Registration Card (PERC), as issued by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) preferred.
- Proficient in PC desktop and related software programs and the ability to operate a personal computer.
- Valid State of Illinois driver’s license is required.
- Must pass a criminal background check and fingerprint screen.
- The following generally describes the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required to enter the job and/or be learned within a short period of time to successfully perform the assigned duties
Knowledge, Skills and Ability
- Knowledge of safety procedures and practices
- Knowledge of local and state law enforcement agencies
- Knowledge of basic computer operations relation to ID badging system operation
- Good interpersonal and verbal communication skills
- Good observation skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and persuasiveness in handling situations
- Ability to articulate verbally in a clear and distinct manner during emergency and non-emergency situations
- Standard security and safety equipment
- Physical Requirements
- Ability to climb and descend stairs to access multi-level buildings
- Ability to walk and patrol designated areas on foot
- Ability to stand at an assigned post for an extended period of time
- Worker Characteristics
- Initiative – Demonstrate willingness to take on responsibilities and job challenges
- Attention to Detail – Pay careful attention to detail and thoroughness in completing work tasks.
- Dependability – Demonstrate reliability, responsibility, and dependability and fulfill obligations.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in CCC!