Part-Time Scribe & Reader
Commitment to Mission
This job carries with it the obligation to uphold the Mission of Lone Star College (LSC) in carrying out the duties of the position. A commitment to positive interpersonal behaviors, professional communication, diversity, integrity, leadership, stewardship, respect and accountability to LSC students and employees is essential.
- One LSC
- Student Focused
- Own It
- Advance Equity
- Cultivate Community
- Choose Learning
The Chronicle of Higher Education’s “Great Colleges to Work For” is designed to recognize colleges that have been successful in creating great workplaces and to further research and understanding of the factors, dynamics and influences that have the most impact on organizational culture at higher education institutions.
Lone Star College was recognized in five areas: Confidence in Senior Leadership; Diversity; Facilities, Workspace & Security; Job Satisfaction; and Work/Life Balance .
Campus Marketing Statement
Lone Star College-North Harris
Lone Star College offers high-quality, affordable academic transfer and career training education to 99,000 students each semester. LSC is training tomorrow’s workforce today and redefining the community college experience to support student success. Stephen C. Head, Ph.D., serves as chancellor of LSC, the largest institution of higher education in the Houston area with an annual economic impact of nearly $3 billion.
LSC, which consists of seven colleges, ten centers, two university centers, Lone Star Corporate College and LSC-Online, is continuously named Great Colleges to Work For by the Chronicle of Higher Education. To learn more, visit LoneStar.edu.
Lone Star College-North Harris, nestled on 200 acres of piney woods, is the original and largest college in the Lone Star College System family. Serving the community for more than three decades, LSC-North Harris offers more than 60 programs of study, including university-transfer and numerous education courses and programs. LSC-North Harris is keenly focused on leading-edge technology in emerging technical job fields.
Campus address is 2700 W.W. Thorne Drive, Houston, TX 77073.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
The primary purpose of this position is to provide Reader/Scribe services at in-class lectures, discussions, and tests, and potentially a variety of other situations. Readers/Scribes support and promote all students’ right to communication equity in the classroom.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Takes lecture notes/dictation for students in a classroom setting (may include, but is not limited to, notes from class lecture, video/audio presentations, handouts, and written information presented on the board)
- Fills-in and writes-out test answers for students at their instruction
- Takes student work and verbally relay information in a classroom setting
- Maintains professional boundaries in class and during tests
- Supports and promotes all faculty and students' rights to equity in the classroom and work environment
- Learns to use and demonstrates adaptive technology to students
- Converts and edits academic media
- Responsible for other reasonable, related duties as assigned
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to work a flexible schedule
- Must be punctual and reliable
- Excellent command of the English language
- Active listener and strong ability to take clear and accurate notes at a reasonable speed
- Ability to take clear and accurate dictation
- Ability to verbally relay information for students in a classroom setting
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to maintain professional boundaries in class and during tests
- Comfortable working with special populations
- Ability and commitment to working collaboratively
- High-level of communication and computer skills
- Commitment to quality service to students
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when working with students
- Ability to use various software programs
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
The work is sedentary. Typically, the employee sits comfortably to do the work. However, there may be some walking; standing; bending; carrying of light items, such as papers, books, or small parts; or driving an automobile. No special physical demands are required to perform the work.
WORK SCHEDULE AND CONDITIONS:
- Equipment used includes, PC workstation running on a LAN in a Microsoft Windows environment, calculator, phone and other general office equipment
- Interface with internal and external contacts as needed to carry out the functions of the position
- Work is performed in a climate-controlled office with minimal exposure to safety hazards
- Hours will vary based on student/department needs. May require evening and weekend hours
- High school diploma or GED
Hourly Pay Rate is $10.25.
Benefits Marketing Statement
By joining our top-notch institution, you will enjoy being a part of an organization that offers a supportive, collegial work environment, excellent work/life balance, tuition waiver, participation in a tax deferred retirement plan and more.
Go to the Job Search page, click on ‘My Activities’ at the top of the page. Under My Cover Letters and Attachments you will click on ‘Add Attachment.’ Please be sure to put the Job ID# in the title once you name your file for cover letters only, unless you attached your cover letter with your resume.
If you are applying for an Instructional position (i.e. Faculty, Adjunct Faculty, Instructor), please ensure you include the following to be considered: Resume/CV, Cover Letter, Teaching Philosophy, and unofficial transcripts.
You must limit your file name for any attachment to 40 characters or less.
How to Apply
ALL APPLICANTS MUST APPLY ONLINE ONLY
We will not accept application material received via fax, email, mail, or hand delivered.
Postings for part-time and adjunct positions are active for the academic year. By selecting the option to receive notifications on your profile, you will begin receiving electronic communication regarding new opportunities with Lone Star College (LSC).
If selected for an interview, a recruiter will contact you by phone, or email to schedule an interview.
Lone Star College participates in the E-Verify program, under which Lone Star College provides the federal government with information from each new employee's Form I-9 to confirm that the employee is authorized to work in the United States.
More information on the E-Verify program is available at www.dhs.gov/E-Verify .
Lone Star College is an EEO Employer. All positions are subject to a criminal background check.