Cloud Infrastructure Engineer
The Cloud Infrastructure Engineer designs deploys and administers cloud computing platforms as part of the overall Research Computing portfolio. Duties are performed as part of the Research Computing Technology team and in support of the Research Computing user community in cooperation with the Research Computing User Support team.
The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Who We Are
Research Computing, formed in 2010, is an exciting and fast-paced innovator and campus leader as well as a provider of comprehensive and impressive CI supporting the CU Boulder campus’ research computing and data needs.
Based on our departmental goals and our commitment to diversity and inclusive excellence, we particularly welcome applications from candidates whose knowledge, skills, and abilities, and desire to contribute to an inclusive campus environment will help us achieve our vision of a diverse and inclusive community.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will Be
Cloud and on-premises infrastructure:
- Design, implement, and maintain on-premises cloud platforms using existing industry frameworks, including an IaaS cluster.
- Monitor systems to ensure reliability and resiliency.
- Inform and adhere to best-practices in testing, security, configuration management, and automation.
- Investigate and respond to technical issues that arise with infrastructure and end-user services.
End User Services:
- Understand end-user requirements and propose solutions to users for optimal use of cloud infrastructure
- Draft and maintain internal documentation to ensure serviceability of the cloud environments by the overall technical team.
- Draft end-user documentation for the IaaS cloud platform.
Professional Development and Collaboration:
- Attend workshops and conferences to track best practices from the community.
- Present and/or publish experiences at conferences or user community meetings.
- Collaborate with the XSEDE community.
What You Should Know
- This position carries a general expectation to respond to critical issues and incidents that arise outside of normal business hours within a reasonable time frame, as defined by the position's supervisor. This expectation is consistent with commitments RC has made with customers that many of its services will have “best effort” coverage outside of regular business hours.
What We Can Offer
- Annual salary range for this position is $100,000 - $110,000.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits , including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder .
Be Collaborative. Be Groundbreaking. Be Boulder.
What We Require
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution in computer science or related fields. A combination of education and experience may be substituted for the degree on a year-for-year basis.
- 2 years of experience with an on-premises clustered virtualization environment. For example:
- OpenStack (preferred)
- 1+ years of experience with a commercial cloud environment. For example:
- Amazon Web Services.
- Google Compute Engine.
- Microsoft Azure.
What You Will Need
- Ability to design procedures for system troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Fluent in scripting and automation (Python and/or Bash preferred).
- Conversant in security best practices.
- Ability to provide internal, inter-departmental, and end-user support using a ticket queue.
- Familiarity with:
- Linux systems administration.
- Container technologies (Docker and its ecosystem preferred).
- Configuration Management Tools (Puppet and/or Ansible preferred).
- Revision control systems (Git preferred).
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
What We Would Like You To Have
- Experience building hybrid cloud environments utilizing heterogeneous on-premises and commercial cloud systems.
- Experience with release management processes and tools, including CI/CD workflows.
- Experience with "serverless" computing platforms and paradigms.
To apply, please submit the following materials:
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically tells us how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications, and responsibilities of the position.
We may request references at a later time.
Please apply by May 16, 2021 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, please apply through CU Boulder Jobs.
Posting Contact Information
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: Recruiting@colorado.edu