Situated in the College of Education Dean’s office, this position serves as the primary administrative department support for two academic departments in the college of education: Curriculum and Instruction and Special and Early Education. The position will also support two college departments: Office of External and Global Programs and the Morgridge office. This position has primary responsibility for coordination of all personnel actions, budget and finance duties and primary scheduling for academic programs. This position is responsible for the management of confidential data and reporting functions and serving as a resource for local distributed department support positions.
Duties and Responsibilities (generally)
This position manages and completes hiring paperwork for all new and returning employees including instructional faculty, graduate assistants, and student workers; oversees payroll/time sheet processing; manages and maintains financial and budget-related documentation; and maintains personnel files. This position also completes primary academic scheduling, data management and reporting.
Minimum Required Qualifications for this position
High School Diploma
Minimum of 2 Years of Office Experience in Academic Setting
Specialty Factors (Additional Required Qualifications)
Education and Experience Preferred
Supervisory Experience in Office Setting
Experience with NIU data management systems
List the knowledge, skills, and abilities critical to the performance of this position.
The position requires detailed knowledge of department, college, and university policies, programs and procedures, as well as a thorough understanding of the department chair’s responsibilities. Specific knowledge required of the person who holds this position include facility with principles of office administration, supervisory skills, and decision-making ability, as well as excellent computer skills and a good command of English. This employee must be able to supervise other employees and to relate well to others in the role of being a major source of information regarding department policies and procedures. It is imperative that this employee have excellent skill in composition of written materials, make a good first impression, and generally be neat and tidy in personal habits. Just as important is that this employee have a thorough knowledge of department functions, facilities, schedules, and faculty assignments. This employee should also possess proficiency with Microsoft Office software package, specifically Excel, Word and Access. Knowledge of MYNIU and On-Base is preferred upon hire and after training it is required for the successful execution of this position.
8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Minimum Pay Rate (Hourly or Monthly)
Hiring Rate Information
Actual hiring rate is commensurate with experience, education, and internal equity; position includes a robust benefits package to eligible applicants.
Priority Review Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
- Fully complete the Education and Work History sections of the application. Be specific on your entire work history, including employment dates and duties for all positions held. Applicable part-time work experience will be considered toward qualifying for this position, however, it will be converted to a full-time equivalency to determine combined length of experience.
- If you have education and/or training in excess of what is required, we encourage you to upload your unofficial transcripts.
- After the posting has closed, your submission will be reviewed to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the classification, including any specialty factors associated with this particular position.
- Please monitor your e-mail for further information regarding your application. Emails will be generated from email@example.com and CivilServiceTesting@niu.edu . Please add these emails to your address book to ensure timely delivery of any future communication.
- We STRONGLY recommend that contact information used in your online profile be personal use, not professional/work information: personal email address, home address, and phone numbers. The information you provide is used to make contact on search updates, department referrals and interviews, etc. We must be able to relay sensitive and important information in a way that protects your privacy concerning job search activity, now and in the future.
- ALL QUALIFIED CANDIDATES WILL BE SCHEDULED TO COME TO THE NIU DEKALB CAMPUS TO TAKE A STATE UNIVERSITIES CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION . At the time of testing, you will be required to present a photo ID. NOTE : If you have previously tested for this classification and wish to rewrite the exam to improve your score and register position, please contact the Civil Service Testing Office by the posting deadline.
- Required documentation noted in the posting such as driver’s license, licensures, or certifications MUST be presented at the time of examination.
- If eligible for Veteran’s Preference Points, DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256 paperwork reflecting an Honorable Discharge MUST be uploaded to this application in order to receive the maximum eligible points on the Civil Service examination.
- After testing of all qualified applicants has been completed for this position, the names with the top three scores will be referred to the hiring department for interview.
- Click on Office Administrator 783 for more information including salary ranges, typical duties, minimum acceptable qualifications, and testing requirements.
- Please click Human Resource Services – Benefits for detailed information about Northern Illinois University’s benefits package.
- Employment is contingent upon your passing a criminal background investigation. You may not begin work until the criminal background investigation results have been received and cleared by Human Resources.
Link to Department Homepage
College of Education
In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230
Is Background Check Required
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
NIU remains committed to ensuring that its recruitment and application procedures include full opportunities for applicants with disabilities. Employment opportunities will not be denied to anyone because of the need to make accommodations for a person’s disability during either the application or interview process. An applicant who believes they require an accommodation to participate in the employment process due to a disability may request that accommodation through the Accommodation Request Form . For further assistance, please contact the office of Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Education ( AAEOE ) at firstname.lastname@example.org .
Clery Act Information
NIU provides information regarding campus security, personal and fire safety, including topics such as: crime prevention, emergency response procedures and crime reporting policies, in addition to crime and fire statistics for the most recent three calendar years. The Annual Security Report containing security and safety information is available at www.safety.niu.edu/clery or by contacting the University Police Department and Public Safety Department at 815-753-9628 to receive a hard copy. The Annual Fire Safety Report is available at www.niu.edu/clery/fire_report.pdf or by contacting the Environmental Health and Safety Department at 815-753-0404 to receive a hard copy.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is your highest level of completed education?
- High School/GED
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Please list any a related certifications, such as
Business/Administrative Technology, Bookkeeping Office Assistant,
Office Specialist, Customer Service, etc. Please remember to upload
any certifications to be considered.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of progressively more responsible general or
specialized office experience, which included aspects of
supervising staff or job function, organizing, and performing
duties that lead to knowledge of generally accepted office
principles do you possess?
- 0-1 years
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3-4 years
- 4-5 years
- 5+ years
- Please provide the name of the employer and the dates of
employment where you gained this experience. Please note that this
information must be verified on an NIU application and/or
(Open Ended Question)
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Cover Letter
- Military Discharge Documents ONLY (DD214/DD215/NGB22/DD256)
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
- Certifications/Licensure #1
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Academic Administration Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in DeKalb