Assistant VP, Access, Diversity & Inclusion
The Assistant Vice President of Access, Diversity and Inclusion is a senior administrative
leader to the Vice President of Access, Diversity, and Inclusion. He/she will provide leadership,
expertise and vision to the Division of Access, Diversity, and Inclusion by cultivating diversity,
inclusion, and equity as institutional and educational priorities. This individual will play a pivotal
role in helping develop organizational capacity and effectiveness across the institution
focusing on aligning the University’s values regarding access, diversity, equity and inclusion
into policies, practices, structures and culture.
Salary Grade : 20
Please see Staff Compensation Structure or Skilled Crafts and Service Maintenance Compensation Schedule for salary ranges. For salary grade UC, these positions are "Unclassified" and salary ranges are determined by the hiring department.
The Division of Access, Diversity and Inclusion at Mississippi State University is comprised of 5 departments focused on ensuring that equity and inclusion is central in all of the decision-making processes. The Division provides institutional leadership on matters related to diversity, equity and access partnering across academic and non-academic units to foster an inclusive environment within the University.
Anticipated Appointment Date:
July 1, 2021
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Leads the integration and implementation of diversity, equity and inclusion objectives
and works closely with deans, directors, department heads, student leaders, and
alumni to achieve the university's strategic plan and diversity plan goals.
2. Contributes to the accomplishment of the university’s written affirmative action plan
goals and objectives assessing potential barriers and develop strategies focused on
recruiting and retaining underrepresented faculty and staff.
3. Responsible for leading and directing a staff engaged in leading DEI efforts on the
University, including the Office of Institutional Diversity and Inclusion and the Holmes
Cultural Diversity Center.
4. In collaboration with the VPs, Office of the Provost, and the Deans, the AVP will
work to integrate inclusive excellence into the university curriculum and pedagogy,
preparing faculty to teach diverse learning and preparing students to navigate diverse
5. Tracks progress and provides reports to VP of Access, Diversity and Inclusion on the
accomplishment of goals, including compilation of existing sources and information and
support for new data collection and analysis as needed.
6. Develop and oversee the implementation of best practices that recognize and
support access, diversity, and inclusion on campus and communicate the merits of
these values to the campus and its stakeholders.
7. Responsible for working with institutional leadership, department and unit heads, and
academic colleges to implement diversity and inclusion strategies and promising
practices throughout the university.
8. Seeks out opportunities to obtain external funding for DEI efforts through grants and
9. Collaborate with the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness to develop
ongoing assessment for DEI work.
10. Participate on faculty search committees. Inclusive Excellence Leadership Council,
and serve on other institution committees as needed.
11. Other related duties as required or assigned.
Full supervisory responsibility for other employees is a major responsibility and includes
training, evaluating, and making or recommending pay, promotion, or other employment
Education: Master's degree in related field
Experience (yrs): 7 years Directly related to duties and responsibilities specified
Indicated education is required; no substitutions allowed.
Indicated experience is required; no substitutions allowed.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
1. Demonstrated ability to lead transformational change, particularly in the areas of
diversity, inclusion and access.
2. Is fluent in the scholarship and national discussions about inclusion, equity, and access
and can effectively communicate that knowledge with Mississippi State University’s senior
leaders and the broader community.
3. Is well informed about current best practices and research on equity and inclusion in
higher education and actively participates in professional associations and scholarly
4. Understanding of student development and student success as it relates to diverse
5. A strong understanding of and commitment to the mission of a land-grant university,
which approaches and experiences that support, teaching, research and service.
6. Prioritizes tasks and delegates effectively
7. Advanced technical skills with internal and external databases including processing and
analyses of qualitative and quantitative information
8. Ability to lead high initiatives from conception to implementation
9. Knowledge of the educational and support needs of vulnerable students
10. Demonstrated ability to manage/coordinate multiple tasks
11. Independent, self-starter with strong work ethic
12. Excellent verbal and written skills
13. Excellent presentation skills
14. Experience supervising professional and administrative staff
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
1.No unusual physical requirements. Requires limited lifting of files and records and nearly all
work is performed in a comfortable indoor facility.
2.Frequent- External imposed deadlines; set and revised beyond one’s control; interruptions
influence priorities; difficulty to anticipate nature or volume of work with certainty beyond a
few days; meeting of deadlines and coordination of unrelated activities are key to position;
involves conflict-resolution or similar interactions involving emotion issues or stress on a
3.Job frequently requires walking, sitting, reaching, talking, hearing, handling objects with
4.Ability to occasionally work weekends and long hours.
Instructions for Applying:
Link to apply: http://explore.msujobs.msstate.edu/
Apply online at www.msujobs.msstate.edu and attach a cover letter and resume.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement:
MSU is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, sex, religion, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, gender identity, status as a U.S. veteran, and/or any other status protected by applicable law. We always welcome nominations and applications from women, members of any minority group, and others who share our passion for building a diverse community that reflects the diversity in our student population.
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Institutional Research & Planning Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Other Academic Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University
- Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Mississippi State University