Facilities Assistant, Facilities Services - Custodial
The Facilities Services - Custodial department invites applications for two (2) Facilities Assistant's to join their team. This is an entry level position under direct supervision, provides direct customer service to members of the campus and to the community at large. It is expected that this role builds and maintains a work atmosphere of trust and respect by establishing open communication among team members; recognizes the value of individual differences at all levels of the organization; takes steps to prevent destructive conflict and handling conflict in an appropriate manner; listens and responds appropriately to the needs, feelings and capabilities of all individuals; and provides support and assistance to team members.
This role will perform beginning to intermediate routine custodial duties, including, but not limited to, sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, scrubbing, trash removal, and sanitizing. Additionally, performs general maintenance, including, but not limited to, changing light bulbs and filters and supplying paper products and soap.
Department Specific Duties:
The Facilities Assistant position:
- Acts professionally at all times
- Uses Crew Cleaning to ensure custodial operations are efficient and effective
- Provides quality customer service to the building staff, faculty, students, and the general public
- Establishes positive communication with co-workers, staff, faculty, students, and the general public
- Participates in regular meetings and safety trainings
- Works in a safe manner
- Report building irregularities to Technician
- Understand key protocols and building security
- Clean and sanitize restroom surfaces and fixtures
- Collect trash
- Stock University paper and soap dispensers
- Vacuum carpeted areas
- Sweep and mop floors including stairs
- Sanitize high touch surfaces
- Damp dust horizontal surfaces
- Change University lights
- Clean chalkboards and whiteboards in teaching areas
- Replace dry erase markers, chalk, and erasers as needed
- Clean classroom tabletops
- Spot clean walls as needed
- Clean public garbage cans as needed
- Clean carpet stains as needed
- Clean entryways including glass (weather permitting)
- Sweep outside entryways (weather permitting)
- Remove snow/ice from building entryways when needed
- Clean drinking fountains, sinks, and elevators
- Clean classroom furniture
- Clean ceiling vents
- Remove gum as needed
- Accessible University carpets extracted as needed
- Accessible University interior public glass cleaned as needed
- Accessible hard floors cleaned, polished or refinished as needed
- Reachable University light fixtures cleaned as needed
- Any additional cleaning duties assigned by Technician
- Knowledge and skill equivalent to a high school education.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain a safe work environment
- Work effectively in a team environment
- Create and maintain a work atmosphere of trust and respect with all team members
- Work with a variety of diverse groups of individuals effectively
- Read and write instructions, safety information, policies and procedures
- Demonstrated skill in customer service orientation
- Demonstrated skill in interpersonal, listening and oral communication
- Demonstrated skill in organization and time-management
Minimum Required Experience
- High School diploma and one (1) year of custodial experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience
About Facilities Services and UM
The Mission of Facilities Services is to assist in the development of a physical environment supportive of teaching, research, and Administration on The University of Montana campus through the operation and maintenance of the state funded Physical Plant, and providing services to the auxiliaries as required. It is also Facilities Services Mission to provide planning and construction services for all of the campus in support of the development and enhancement of the University's Physical Plant. Additionally, Facilities Services is responsible for assuring compliance with all codes related to facilities, construction, renovations, maintenance and operations of all campus facilities. This Mission of support includes long-term preservation of facilities, assets and equipment.
The University of Montana is a unit of the Montana University System with over 10,000 students. It is located in Missoula, a culturally vibrant community of about 72,000, surrounded by mountain grandeur which was recently ranked in the “ top 20 best college towns with a population of less than 250,000 ” by the American Institute for Economic Research and ranked 9th in Outside Magazine’s “ The 16 Greatest Places to Live in America” in 2014 . Many national publications recognize Missoula for its high quality of life . Abundant recreational opportunities in surrounding state and national forests and nearby Glacier National Park and Yellowstone National Park complement a thriving intellectual atmosphere. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
The University of Montana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and has a student body of approximately 10,000 undergraduates and graduates, including more than 1,500 students of color and more than 900 international students and scholars from more than 70 countries. We encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disability preference in accordance with state law.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
Position Title: Facilities Assistant
Position Number: 085250; 085310
Department: Facilities Services - Custodial
Work Schedule: Full-time, 1.0 FTE (40 Hours a week), Monday through Friday 3:30 pm to 12:00 am, 12 months/year. Position requires an alternative work schedule.
Union Affiliation: FOCUS-MFPE
Probationary Period: Six months minimum
Benefits Include : Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
Criminal Background Investigation is required prior to the Offer of Employment In accordance with University regulations, finalists for this position will be subject to criminal background investigations. ADA/EOE/AA/Veteran's Preference Reasonable accommodations are provided in the hiring process for persons with disabilities. For example, this material is available in alternative format upon request. As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, we encourage applications from minorities, veterans, and women. Qualified candidates may request veterans’ or disabilities preference in accordance with state law. References: References not listed on the application materials may be contacted; notice may be provided to the applicant. Testing: Individual hiring departments at UM may elect to administer pre-employment tests, which are relevant to essential job functions. Employment Eligibility: All New Employees must be eligible and show employment eligibility verification by the first date of employment at UM, as legally required (e.g., Form I-9).
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Wednesday, May 12, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular