DIRECTOR OF KNOWLEDGE CREATION AND EDUCATION NETWORK
DIRECTOR OF KNOWLEDGE CREATION AND EDUCATION NETWORK
Director of CMU-Africa
June 1st 2021
Carnegie Mellon University is seeking a Director of Knowledge Creation and Education Network for its Carnegie Mellon University Africa (CMU-Africa) location in Rwanda. The Director of Knowledge Creation and Education Network will develop and implement the strategy for building a Network of higher learning institutions in Africa, whose members will work collaboratively on education and knowledge creation activities aimed at accelerating the inclusive digital transformation of Africa. In this newly created role, the Director leverages their practical experience and considerable expertise to work with the Network member institutions to strengthen the African digital knowledge creation ecosystem to address digital transformation challenges. Additionally, the Director will establish and foster a pan-African alliance of engineering and technology education institutions creating a workforce prepared for and driving inclusive digital transformation.
About Carnegie Mellon University
Established out of a partnership between Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) and the Government of Rwanda, CMU-Africa is addressing the critical shortage of high-quality engineering talent required to accelerate the economic development and digital transformation of Africa—home to the fastest growing workforce in the world. CMU-Africa was established in 2011 and is the only U.S. research university offering its master’s degrees with full-time faculty, staff and operations in Africa. CMU’s presence in Rwanda provides a platform to engage in Africa’s most significant opportunities and challenges across the continent through world-class education and contextually relevant research.
Our vision is to educate and empower the next generation of African leaders and innovators by delivering a world-class educational experience. CMU-Africa’s mission is to produce creative and technically strong engineers, who have been trained in the African context, and prepared to make transformative impact in their communities and the world.
We are a fast-growing campus with about 150 enrolled students, aiming to grow to 400 in the next couple of years. Our size and exponential growth create a sense of camaraderie and excitement, with strong community ties and a compound sense of accomplishment in our team members, contributing towards mutually beneficial relationships between staff and students.
As CMU-Africa’s Director of Knowledge Creation and Education Network, you will be a key leader and technical advisor, collaborating with the Directors of Research and Academics, and other relevant internal and external stakeholders. The scope of responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Convene an African Digital Education Network with strategic African higher learning institutions focused on technology and innovation
- Develop opportunities and processes for sharing demonstrated effective instructional strategies for teaching young engineers and technologists from varied backgrounds to strengthen the digital technologies talent on the continent
- Establish a teaching innovation center at CMU-Africa, modelled on the Eberly Center at CMU Pittsburgh, to support Network faculty in delivering effective instruction and appropriate integration of learning technology
- Develop, with input from the Director and the CMU-Africa Director of Research, knowledge creation policies and standards, enterprise content management, templates and processes, and lead, contribute to, and animate knowledge creation and sharing within the Network
- Oversee the development of new online certificate programs in topics of importance to inclusive digital transformation
- Partner with Network universities, industry leaders, and government partners to identify critical knowledge and skills gaps
- Create short courses, modules, and workshops (in-person and/or online) on technology topics that align with industry needs and increase access to technical knowledge and skill development to prepare participants for successful transition into digital economy jobs
- Working with the Director of Research, share with Network partners best practices for institutional research management frameworks
- Develop opportunities to enhance Network faculty research capacity in fast changing deep technology disciplines, such as AI, cyber security, technology policy, etc. e.g., through collaboration and faculty immersion programs
- Expand opportunities for technology researchers in African diaspora to return to work on topics of importance to African digital transformation
- Align programs and processes in a way that advance a range of initiatives that amplify digital transformation research at African universities to drive digital transformation and overcome systematic barriers
- Convene researchers frequently (through domain-specific annual research symposia, focused workshops, and virtual meetings) to enhance communications and connections among Network researchers with the goal of increasing opportunities for knowledge sharing in critical digital transformation areas
- Create connections to NGOs, foundations, international research funders, and industry to enhance awareness of growing research capacity in Africa and to build future funding opportunities
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s Degree in relevant field required, Master’s Degree preferred
- Certification in human centered design, design thinking, user experience, business analysis, instructional design, graphic design and or project management a plus
- Prior experience in a an education and research environment a plus
- Minimum 10+ years of work experience in the public, private or non-profit sectors
- Fluency in both spoken and written English and French a bonus.
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- Experience establishing partnerships and implementing solutions in Africa, and ideally at an organization with social impact
- Integrating context-specific and enterprise knowledge management solutions
- Managing complex projects while leading matrixed teams and external constituents
- Engaging stakeholders, facilitating group decision-making, and negotiating consensus
- Collaborating virtually across cultures and time-zones to prioritize, learn, and align
- Leveraging techniques including taxonomy, lessons learned, and change management
- Understanding information and records management best practices and technology
- Resilient, entrepreneurial, and flexible
- Balancing self-direction with the ability to engage stakeholders and elevate CMU Africa’s visibility
- Service-oriented and responsive, and able to prioritize while being a trusted partner
- Detail-oriented with the ability to synthesize and communicate complex ideas
- Fluent in English and may also speak French and/or local language
- Communicating with excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with professional maturity and integrity to a variety of constituents across cultures
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities
- Professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the CMU-Africa’s values and vision.
Send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com Please use the subject header “Director of Knowledge and Education Network” and be sure to highlight relevant experience and your goal in applying for this position.
****Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis*****
Apply for DIRECTOR OF KNOWLEDGE CREATION AND EDUCATION NETWORK
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly