Director of Safety and Security
About SUNY Empire State College:
SUNY Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative, nontraditional teaching and learning.
SUNY Empire is part of the State University of New York system and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, SUNY Empire primarily serves working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at locations in every region of the state and abroad.
The college's 50-year commitment to flexible, individualized learning is represented by faculty mentors who guide students throughout their academic studies, the ability for students to build individualized degree plans, the award of credit for learning gained from life and work experience, world-class academic and social student-support communities, and flexible course delivery methods that meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college boasts more than 89,000 successful alumni and partners with nearly 16,000 students each year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
SUNY Empire State College is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that a diverse faculty is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development. Faculty-development opportunities include our annual Fall Academic Conference and the annual Institute on Mentoring, Teaching and Learning.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Operations, the Director of Safety and Security oversees the implementation of proper safety and security practices of all college owned and leased locations throughout the state. The Director of Safety and Security is the lead for all safety, security and emergency management issues that arise at the college. Position requires travel to all locations as needed, occasionally work after hours and weekends, and has access to sensitive confidential data. The Director works with the Senior Director of Operations and Safety and Security Coordinator to update and improve proper safety and security policies and procedures.
Responsibilities to Include:
- Conducts on-going safety and security inspections, including building security, fire suppression systems, emergency lighting systems and egress/exit doors. These inspections are to be documented and available for review upon request.
- Reviews and updates as needed college wide emergency operations and response plan (Emergency Preparedness Plan).
- Reviews and updates as needed college wide security threat assessment.
- Acts as subject matter expert in areas of safety and security for SUNY Empire.
- Oversees the department of safety and security.
- Develops and reviews campus safety and security policies and procedures annually unless more frequent review required by regulation or protocol.
- Ensures College policies and procedures are in accordance with SUNY, State and Federal regulations. Recommends and maintains policy enforcement protocols.
- Handles all security issues expeditiously with professionalism and respect.
- Remains current and familiar with laws, rules and regulations regarding Federal and State reporting requirements and regulations relating to safety and security.
- Implements and delivers security related training programs annually. All mandated training programs must be offered in accordance with SUNY, State and Federal frequency requirements. The training sessions will be offered either on-line or live depending on the mandated requirements. The director will coordinate offerings with the Talent Management Associate in the Office of Human Resources.
- Makes recommendations and provides materials for training for life safety, and physical safety elements. Assists in delivery and implementation of such training.
- Works with local police and fire department and serves as the college liaison with Federal, State and other criminal justice officials regarding campus safety and security.
- Maintains all necessary certifications as required by NYS and SUNY.
- Participates with various internal college teams and groups as needed to update and improve policies and services.
- Implements SUNY policy to comply with NYS law on domestic violence when guidelines are available.
- Ensures that as campus locations change (open/close/relocate), updated safety and security plans are in place including appropriate police and fire contacts.
- Serves as Campus Security Authority as outlined by the Clery Act.
- Gathers information and submits Annual Security Report as well as the public notification of report as required by Clery Act regulations.
- Develops and maintains concise asset security plan.
- Manages the key control process including issuing, collection and key distribution logs.
- Manages, in conjunction with IT services, site surveillance (cameras) and building access systems Envoy/Genetec).
- Analyzes building access data and reports activity on a regular basis.
- Must be able to travel to sites statewide.
- Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice or related field.
- At least five years of experience in security and safety profession.
- Possess a valid driver's license.
- Possess strong communication skills, both verbally and written.
- Demonstrate ability to exercise good judgments and make decisions under pressure that are appropriate and in accordance with rules, regulations, and policies.
- Demonstrate ability to work cooperatively and courteously with all segments of the College.
- Campus related security experience.
- Experience with annual reporting of campus crime statistics as required under the Clery Act.
- Position is located in Saratoga Springs, NY
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references