SUNY Educational Opportunity Program Advisor
About SUNY Empire State College:
SUNY Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative, nontraditional teaching and learning.
SUNY Empire is part of the State University of New York system and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, SUNY Empire primarily serves working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at locations in every region of the state and abroad.
The college's 50-year commitment to flexible, individualized learning is represented by faculty mentors who guide students throughout their academic studies, the ability for students to build individualized degree plans, the award of credit for learning gained from life and work experience, world-class academic and social student-support communities, and flexible course delivery methods that meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college boasts more than 89,000 successful alumni and partners with nearly 16,000 students each year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
SUNY Empire State College is committed to creating a multicultural, inclusive academic and work environment. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We believe that a diverse faculty is critical to academic excellence and prepares students to live and work in an increasingly global world.
We are pleased to offer our employees a generous compensation and benefits package. We also offer professional-development activities for professionals and support staff, as well as faculty-development opportunities that encourage pursuit of disciplinary and community-focused research, scholarship of teaching and learning, and leadership development. Faculty-development opportunities include our annual Fall Academic Conference and the annual Institute on Mentoring, Teaching and Learning.
SUNY Empire State College seeks a full time Educational Opportunity Program Advisor (State title: Senior Staff Assistant).
The SUNY Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides access, academic support, and financial assistance to students who might be underprepared but show promise for college success. SUNY Empire and its opportunity programs serve students at all stages of life and learning, full time or part time.
The SUNY Educational Opportunity Program offers students dedicated supports that contribute to student success. The program provides students with enhanced supports for academic support and services, in an effort to ease access and help the student focus on being a student. EOP also serves to assist students financially, providing a stipend to all EOP students toward the cost of attendance. In addition to year-round academic and life skills programming, EOP provides an intensive summer orientation to help students with the transition into SUNY Empire, as well as for college-level learning.
The college is seeking an Educational Opportunity Program Advisor to provide a wide range of support services and functions including:
Advisement and Coaching
- Serve as SUNY EOP students' primary mentor (academic advisor) throughout the entire matriculated lifecycle. Provide coaching and student support services by meeting with students regularly and connecting with instructors routinely to ensure the program is informed of all student's academic progress.
- Review and evaluate EOP students' academic status and make appropriate recommendations to the Director.
- Deliver/instruct degree planning to EOP students. Liaise with Academic Review to amend degree plans, as needed.
- Develop career and graduate school opportunity resources that are attuned to the needs of the EOP student.
- Act as a point person throughout the student lifecycle for referral to/collaboration with campus resources, offices, and services.
- Identify and address academic concerns, assisting students who might need support in finding policies, processes, and services.
- Serve as disability representative in assigned regions to support students with disabilities and collaborate with the Office of Accessibility Resources and Services.
- Investigate and resolve informal student complaints, grievances, and appeals.
- Check student academic progress weekly and follow up with students individually. For students taking online courses, check course log activity to ensure appropriate level of course engagement is occurring. For students taking independent studies or study groups, check in with instructors to discuss student progress within their course.
Student Technical Assistance
- Assist EOP students in the completion of financial forms required by the institution, SUNY, or other required external agencies.
- Input and update information into Banner and other college systems.
- Program Governance, Support, and Professional Development
- Further his/her professional development through participation in related program activities.
- Represent EOP at necessary meetings and governance.
- Assist in other academic related program functions at the discretion of the Director.
- Play an active role in planning, delivering, and facilitating the EOP Extended Student Orientation during the summer.
- Assist in the delivery of EOP programming throughout the academic year.
- Contribute to EOP Student Advisory Board.
- A master's degree from an accredited college or university.
- Experience in working with EOP or other opportunity and/or access programs, diverse populations, or disadvantaged students is very desirable.
- Academic advisement and/or counseling experience is required.
- Degree or course work in higher education, counseling, or related field.
- This position can be located at any one of our NYS Regional locations.
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position.
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button:
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Academic Advising & Academic Support Services Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs
- Other Student Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Saratoga Springs