Associate Vice President of Budget and Financial Planning
The Associate Vice President (AVP) for Budget and Financial Planning is responsible for supporting the financial planning & analysis activities, providing insight and strategic counsel to university management and partnering closely with academic and administrative units across the university. We strive to attract a trusted business partner which requires intellect, collaboration, analytical curiosity, dedication and ingenuity to achieve. Embracing and valuing individual experiences, capabilities, talents and perspectives by fostering and promoting a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion is imperative in this role.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, the AVP will be responsible for providing effective leadership to the development and management of the $1.3B operating budget. You will lead the daily activities of our budget office, as well as lead a team of 6 professionals (1 manager and 5 analysts). Partnering closely with the Associate Vice Provost for Academic Budget and Planning to coordinate the efforts of divisional budget managers across the university as well as liaise with senior management in the creation of ad-hoc financial analysis and business models for critical initiatives. You will drive timely and accurate financial plans, forecasts, and reporting as well as provide financial expertise, identify risks and opportunities, translate insights into action plans and see plans through to execution. We are seeking candidates who have strategic vision for the position of AVP of Budget and Financial Planning to fundamentally transform the way we work and engage with our campus partners.
Your core responsibilities include:
- Maintain capital and operational forecasting schedules, assist in the preparation of pro-forma financials for various capital projects and university directives, and be responsible for the preparation of annual budgets.
- Enhance the quality of insight generation through the use of scenario planning, analytics and metrics including a robust forward looking modeling capacity to support university initiatives.
- Providing strategic leadership in advancing a premier financial planning and analysis operation by applying best practices to continuously improve our existing processes and oversight and management of planning and management reporting efforts.
- Working closely with key internal partners, particularly academic and administrative unit partners, to develop integrated and robust university budgets and forecasts.
- Providing insights to develop and implement technology and other solutions to meet critical timelines that support our strategic plan, multiyear financial plan, annual budgets, bi-annual forecast, quarterly/monthly reporting packets and related on-going analysis.
- Providing support to the CFO in developing presentation materials and financial analysis for various meetings, including meetings with: the Executive Management Team, Deans, Board of Trustees, Finance Committee, rating agencies and other internal and external partners.
- Collaborating with campus partners to explore continuous operational improvement opportunities related to the university’s budget.
- Serving the units as a partner and resource to cross-functional project or coordinating teams.
- Planning, documenting, and managing the performance of subordinate managers and/or staff. Provides staff with professional or technical growth through assignment, mentoring, or training.
- Other duties as assigned.
You must demonstrate:
- Strong financial and analytical skills and the ability to explain financial concepts in lay terms across varied audiences.
- Progressive thought leader in the finance function, as appropriate, including analyzing and providing relevant metrics and performance indicators to help identify trends.
- Proven ability to build internal customer relationships and partnerships.
- Ability to present complex concepts and/or financial models to a broad range of audiences.
- Ability to prioritize work and to handle multiple projects/internal customers.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration or a related discipline from an accredited college or university; Master's degree preferred.
- Ten (10) years of financial planning and analysis and experience with business intelligence systems is required.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills.
The University will welcome senior leaders from industries outside academia, whether public or private, such as professional & financial services, life sciences, multi-lateral organizations and others. A combination of public sector and private sector experience and an understanding of the research university environment and medical centers or hospitals are desirable. In addition, the ideal candidate will possess significant experience in leading and managing change in an organization with multiple senior stakeholders; proven experience in leading functionally diverse teams of substantial size; and a track record of promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and of commitment to equal employment opportunity.
Inclusion, collaboration and cultural sensitivity are valued competencies at CMU. Therefore, we are in search of a team member who is able to effectively interact with a dynamic population of partners at a high level of integrity. We are looking for someone who shares our values and who will support the mission of the university through their work.
Are you interested in this dynamic opportunity? Please apply today.
Please visit “Why Carnegie Mellon” to learn more about becoming part of an institution inspiring innovations that change the world.
A listing of employee benefits is available at: www.cmu.edu/jobs/benefits-at-a-glance/.
Statement of Assurance: https://www.cmu.edu/policies/administrative-and-governance/statement-of-assurance.html
Carnegie Mellon University is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Disability/Veteran.
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Business & Administrative Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Financial Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Oakland
- Chief Business Officers & Vice Presidents Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Oakland