Instructor - Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant
The Department of Medicine is seeking a qualified candidate for an Advanced Practice Clinician position in a critical clinical role. This Advanced Practice Clinician will provide medical care to patients with complex acute, critical, and/or chronic health conditions in a hospital setting in one or more specialized areas under the direction of a physician. Candidate will be required to provide clinical excellence, scholarly enthusiasm, and a track record of excellent clinical performance . The provider will have direct patient care responsibilities. The position will report to a BCM department head and the SVP and Dean of Clinical Affairs.
- Be able to conduct comprehensive assessment of patients throughout the continuum in the inpatient setting based on age and diagnosis, including psychological status.
- Perform and document history and physicals, order diagnostic studies, therapeutic procedures, prescribe medications, and participate in collaboration and direct reporting of patient information to the medical staff.
- Proficient use of Epic in the delivery of care.
- This position requires working in Critical Care Units.
Provides advanced nursing care to patients in a clinical setting in an area of specialization under the direction of a physician.
- Obtain detailed history and perform physical examinations.
- Perform, order, and interpret diagnostic procedures in accordance with relevant health concerns of the patient.
- Prescribes appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments.
- Maintain records and write orders and progress notes in patient charts as to status, treatments, and procedures.
- Monitors and ensures accuracy of recording on patient medical records.
- Provide follow-up health maintenance care to patients in accordance with protocols established with the supervising physician.
- Communicate with physicians, patients, and the family members of patients concerning patient care.
- Collaborates with providers, and practice staff in identifying appropriate patients for care management.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
- Education Required:
- For Nurse Practitioner: Master’s degree in in Nursing.
- For Physician Assistant: Master’s degree in Physician Assistant Studies. NOTE: Bachelor's degree in Physician Assistant Studies accepted based on terminal degree requirements at time of graduation.
- Experience Required: None required.
- For Nurse Practitioner: Current license as a Registered Nurse (RN) by the State of Texas Board of Nursing. Current Texas Licensure as an Advanced Practice Nurse (APRN-NP), and specialty certification as required by department.
- For Physician Assistant: Current license as a Physician Assistant by the State of Texas Physician Assistant Board. Specialty certification as required by department.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.