The research group of Dr. Eric Jacques in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering (CEE) at Virginia Tech is hiring a post-doctoral research associate to perform a critical assessment of research and development needs for unmanned aerial system (UAS) threats on transportation infrastructure safety and security. The exponential worldwide growth of recreational and commercial UAS has proliferated a new generation of small, smart, and inexpensive weapons that provide non-state actors sophisticated capabilities that were previously exclusive to technologically advanced militaries. Transportation security stakeholders have realized that the balance of physical infrastructure protection is upset by the extreme asymmetry of weaponized drones, giving terrorists and non-state actors a new offensive edge that challenges security professionals.
The successful applicant will collaborate on research funded to understand current and emerging UAS threat vectors, identify historical trends on the use of drones for nefarious activity, perform simplified analyses to bound the vulnerability of transportation infrastructure to drone attack, and evaluate and assess the viability potential mitigation techniques. The postdoctoral associate will be based in CEE and collaborate with multiple, diverse stakeholders across disciplines, including engineering, transportation, aerospace, security, behavioral, and economic sciences. The post-doc job responsibilities will include:
- Organizing a national workshop to be held virtually (planning, organizing, executing, curating proceedings, etc.), working in collaboration with a transdisciplinary team of stakeholders
- Performing research related to perform a critical analysis knowledge gaps related to UAS transportation security
- Engaging key regional, government, and private stakeholders
- Assisting with grant preparation
- Mentoring students
- PhD in structural engineering, or related field. PhD must be awarded no more than four years prior to the effective date of appointment with a minimum of one year eligibility remaining.
- Research experience in bridge engineering, highway infrastructure, or related discipline.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Must be capable of working in a team environmental while conducting self-directed research to achieve broader goals set by the group.
- Demonstrated research background in one or more fields including, security engineering, unmanned aerial systems, blast and explosives, and protective design of infrastructure.
Commensurate with experience
Initial review date is June 1, 2021, continuing until the position is filled.
The preferred start date is August 2021. With the application, please include a CV, a brief cover letter that includes a statement of interest and what you could contribute to the project, and a list of three references with contact information. Candidates must apply at jobs.vt.edu (job number 515916). Questions about the application should be directed to email@example.com . Applicants must have completed their PhD by the starting date.
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges , a school of medicine , a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School , and Honors College . The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers . A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kira Ritter at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Advertised: April 26, 2021
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Urban & Regional Planning Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg
- Biotechnology & Bioengineering Not specified Full Time jobs in Blacksburg