Assistant Director of Athletics Marketing - Athletics
The department of Athletics at West Virginia University is seeking applications for an Assistant Director of Athletics Marketing. This position is responsible for assisting the Assistant Athletics Director for Athletics Marketing with the daily operations of the Athletics Marketing unit. This position will supervise event promotions for women’s basketball, women’s soccer, men’s soccer & gymnastics and other varsity sports as assigned and special events. Duties include preparation of game-day schedule of activities, pregame and halftime entertainment including arena video boards, pregame and in-game promotions and developing positive game atmosphere.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Direct ticket marketing campaigns for women’s basketball, women’s soccer, men’s soccer & gymnastics and other varsity sports as assigned and special events, including season ticket sales, single game ticket sales, group ticket sales and game promotions. Duties include developing and tracking mailings and email campaigns, media and telemarketing schedules, and working with outside promotional sponsors.
- Direct postseason ticket marketing campaigns in women’s basketball, women’s soccer, men’s soccer & gymnastics and other varsity sports as assigned and special events, including developing the allocation plan, developing and tracking mailings, and sales schedule. Must possess interpersonal skills, ability to logically plan and ability to understand technical material.
- Direct group, season and single game ticket sales and solicit contributions for assigned sports by personal contact via travel and telephone. Sales goals will be established and performance will be evaluated upon those goals.
- Serve as a primary marketing and promotional representative for assigned varsity sports programs (rifle, swimming, track, cross country and rowing). Serve as a liaison to staff, ticket office, athletics communications, coaches, and student-athletes.
- Manage, with other staff members, fulfilling obligations to sponsors and advertisers, including media placement, merchandising and other sponsor services.
- Coordinate and solicit memberships for an athletics department kids club. Duties include developing a marketing plan, innovative promotions, email campaigns, media schedules and holding functions at sporting events.
- Coordinate promotional activities aimed at increasing student attendance with student booster group (Maniacs) for assigned sports.
- Coordinate the fulfillment of obligations to sponsors and advertisers including media placement, merchandising and other sponsor services.
- Assist with the coordination and scheduling of student interns.
- Assist with home game promotional operation for all sports, including football, men’s basketball and baseball. Duties include recruiting workers, scheduling and maintaining payroll information.
- Assist in the direction of creating, developing and executing e-mail campaigns using Fan One E-mail Facilitate internal communications between the athletics marketing office, ticket office and Mountaineer Athletic Club.
- Serve as a public relations representative with the staff, athletic teams, other schools, media, fans, alumni and general public. Assist with community relations programs involving the athletics department, both involving student-athletes in civic and campus projects and in introducing special groups to WVU athletics in general and by sport.
- Assist the Educational Outreach Counselor and Athletic Compliance Office with the documentation and fulfillment of appearances by coaches and student-athletes. Must meet pre-established guidelines and comply with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Perform interviews with the news media as needed by the athletics communications staff.
- Participate in development activities on behalf of the Mountaineer Athletic Club, if requested.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing and/or Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Operations.
- Report directly to the Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing; work closely with athletic administrative staff and with all others involved with carrying out the philosophy and objectives of the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Maintain knowledge of and comply with all rules, regulations, policies and guidelines of West Virginia University, the Big 12 Conference and the NCAA; must adhere to NCAA Bylaw 11.1 Conduct of Athletic Personnel. Failure to adhere to these policies will result in appropriate disciplinary action including possible suspension and termination.
- Represent the University on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and will exhibit ethical behavior; must respect the rights and dignity of individuals with sensitivity to problems that may arise from racial, ethnical and sexual orientation differences.
- Demonstrate a cooperative attitude towards all sports within the intercollegiate athletic program.
- Possess the ability to adapt to any situation, make decisions and work independently; position must have the ability to build and maintain relationships with student-athletes, coaches, staff members and constituencies; required to use creative abilities to develop new techniques and approaches in dealing with many issues controlled by this position; responsibilities of the position are ever-changing and require constant education; requires the ability to adapt to any situation and make decisions.
- Manage sensitive and confidential information related to student-athletes, coaches and staff utilizing discretion and correct decisions. Failure to use proper discretion at required level could result in major and significant embarrassment to the University and/or have a significant impact on image, revenues and eligibility of student-athletes.
- Manage professional and personal time to handle time sensitive-issues, tight deadlines, extended hours beyond the normal workday, weekend work and on-call availability.
- Faithfully and diligently execute related duties of the department, as requested or assigned by the Assistant Athletics Director for Marketing.
- Master’s Degree, preferably in sports administration, business administration, marketing or similar field or an equivalent combination of education and significant, directly related experience.
- One (1) year of experience in collegiate athletics marketing, preferably at the Division I level. Graduate Assistant experience is acceptable.
- Maintain high standard of ethics and integrity related to intercollegiate athletics
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA Division I intercollegiate athletics
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA and conference guidelines, policies, rules and regulations with the ability to
- interpret, apply, enforce and explain such policies and rules
- Maintain knowledge of state and University policies and procedures
- Exhibit strong creative, organizational and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated knowledge of correct English, grammar, spelling, punctuation and sentence structure
- Demonstrated ability in public speaking skills
- Demonstrated ability to function professionally under high stress and confrontational circumstances
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks for extended period of time
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan and organize work
- Proactive attitude towards work and assignments
- Demonstrated ability to maintain and develop personal contacts with outside groups, i.e. student-athletes, sponsors, fans, donors, University community
- Demonstrated interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community
- Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and adherence to schedule
- Ability to stay abreast of information impacting the affected area
- Demonstrated ability to organize and motivate groups and individuals
- Ability to maintain proper unit attendance and punctuality standards, work extended hours including nights and weekends (often with extensive walking and standing)
- Demonstrated ability to manage personnel
- Ability to make administrative / procedural decisions and judgments
- Demonstrated knowledge of the principles of sports marketing, corporate sponsorships, ticket sales, media, internet and new media.
- Demonstrated skills in marketing concepts and their relationship to sales coordination and promotional development.
- Demonstrated knowledge of advertising and sponsorship sales and the ability to successfully sell to businesses.
- Demonstrated knowledge of ticket sales and the ability to successfully sell to groups, individuals and businesses.
- Demonstrated knowledge of working relationships with advertising agencies and media production, including print and broadcast.
- Demonstrated ability to operate a computer utilizing Paciolan Computer System ticketing and support group programs, various word processing and accounting software and other standard office equipment.
- Ability to stay abreast of marketing, promotional and sales trends impacting the affected area.
At West Virginia University, we leverage our talents and resources to create a better future for our state and the world. As West Virginia's land-grant university, WVU has three campuses that touch each corner of the state. The WVU System includes 518 buildings on 15,880 acres, Extension Service offices in all 55 counties, ten experimental farms and four forests.
From the groundbreaking R1 research of our flagship campus in Morgantown to the career-oriented programs of WVU Potomac State in Keyser to the technology-intensive programs at WVU Tech in Beckley — the contributions of WVU employees directly impact the 1.8 million people of West Virginia every day, no matter their role or position.
Service, curiosity, respect, accountability, and appreciation are the core values that unite Mountaineers, inspiring one another to work tirelessly and support others as they seek to reach new heights. After all, when you're a Mountaineer, impossible is just another mountain to climb.
To learn more about West Virginia University, visit go.wvu.edu. View current career opportunities at careers.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University is proud to be an Equal Opportunity employer and is the recipient of an NSF ADVANCE award for gender equity. The University values diversity among its faculty, staff, and students, and invites applications from all qualified applicants regardless of race, ethnicity, color, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, nationality, genetics, disability, or Veteran status.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Business & Management Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Marketing & Sales Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Morgantown