University Code 34212 University Title Research Administrator University Job Family Research - Support ORP Eligible No For more information on ORP, visit: Retirement Plans
Recruitment Pool All Applicants Recruitment Type Multi Title Scope of Search Local Working Title Grants Administrator Position Number 586600 Is this employee on a H1B Visa? No Position Type Staff Job Status Full-Time FLSA Indicator Exempt Employee Group University Employee Department Psychology Organizational Overview
At VCU, we Make it Real through learning, research, creativity, service and discovery — the hallmarks of the VCU experience. A premier, urban, public research university nationally recognized as one of the best employers for diversity, VCU is a great place to work. It’s a place of opportunity, where your success is supported and your career can thrive. VCU offers employees a generous leave package, career paths for advancement, competitive pay, and an opportunity to do mission-driven work.
Position Primary Purpose and General Responsibilities
The Department of Psychology in the College of Humanities and Sciences invites applicants to apply for the position of grants administrator. The Grants Administrator is responsible for accounting, administrative, operational, and fiscal functions for departmental grants, contracts, cost-share accounts, fellowships, and awards. This position serves as the team lead for the Grants Managers in the department and acts as their direct supervisor. The Grants Administrator is responsible for team task management including portfolio distribution to all department Grants Managers. The position is also responsible for individual grants portfolio management at the senior level with minimal supervision and makes decisions independently while managing and negotiating creative solutions in grants management. This includes daily management and account reconciliation; budgeting; reporting; travel; procurement of materials, supplies, and services. The position will also have high-level communication with staff in multiple University offices ensuring compliance with organizational, University, State, and Federal policies, procedures, and guidelines. Will communicate with Principal Investigators in all matters related to grants from pre-award proposal preparation, through post-award grant management and grant close-out. Independently anticipates, identifies, assesses, and resolves grant-related problems that may arise within the University as well as with external collaborators and vendors. Will assist the Service Center Director with grant-funded faculty salary administration related to grant release/course buyouts planning, summer salary, fund distribution adjustments, and cost-share accounts. Will monitor all labor distributions on grant projects and will process funding changes before budget end dates and process pre-doctoral graduate student stipend payments.
The Grants Administrator serves as a petty cash custodian for all IRB -approved research study participant payments in the department. The position also serves as the primary approver in the department for all university P-card transactions on 5-ledger grant purchases.
This position will serve as the primary department contact for the grants management team for compliance assurance efforts with support from the department Service Center Director, Chair, and Dean’s Office Financial Management staff as necessary to identify compliance options and help resolve faculty questions and concerns. Also, this position will serve as a departmental procurement and travel administrator, requiring extensive knowledge of procurement and travel policies and procedures. Will communicate changes and updates to current policies to all faculty and staff, and will oversee the completion of procurement and travel documents.
Minimum Hiring Standards
- Ability to independently analyze and interpret financial and operational issues.
- Ability to interpret and apply complex federal, state, local, and institutional regulations and contractual terms.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a staff member at VCU .
- Three or more years experience in financial management and operations, particularly in a federal, state, or university setting.
-Experience with Microsoft Office, with particular demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of federal regulations on sponsored research.
- Experienced with budget development.
- Experienced with all types of award mechanisms, including grants, contracts, subcontracts, and cooperative agreements.
- Willingness to continuously maintain and expand knowledge of sponsor, institutional, and departmental policies.
- Ability to manage high-volume and complex transactions.
- Highly developed oral and written communication skills.
- Strong organization skills.
- Must be precise, thorough, detail-oriented, and have the ability to multitask.
Preferred Hiring Standards
- Possesses a strong foundation in Generally Accepted Accounting Principles ( GAAP ) and/or Government Accounting Standards Board ( GASB )
- Obtained Certified Research Administrator ( CRA ) credentialing.
- Advanced knowledge of Virginia Commonwealth University’s policies and procedures, including administration of Sponsored Programs, Effort Reporting, Procurement, and Payment and Cash Operations.
- Expertise in Banner, RAMSPOT, RealSource, and other software applications relevant to grants management and fiscal operations.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field with progressive work experience in research administration strongly preferred.
Required Licenses/ Certifications Anticipated Hiring Range $55,000 to $65,000 Application Process/Additional Information
Please submit a resume/CV, and contact information for three professional references, one of whom must be a current or most recent supervisor. A cover letter is optional but encouraged.
Campus Monroe Park Campus Hours/Week 40 hours/week Normal Work Days/Hours Monday-Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM Job Open Date 04/26/2021 Posting will close on or before Open Until Filled Yes Job Category Is this a restricted position? No Is this position eligible to participate in alternative work arrangements? Yes Sensitive Position No Resource Critical Yes Quick Link https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/105540 Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please describe your experience with Banner Finance, Bank of
America Works, RealSource, ChromeRiver and/or RamSPOT.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have creating and
maintaining reports in Microsoft Excel?
- less than 1 year
- 1-3 years
- 3-5 years
- More than 5 years
- * Do you have prior experience processing graduate stipend and
- * Please describe your experience with post-award grants
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Other Document