Posting Number C00104P Quick Link for Position https://jobs.uafs.edu/postings/1823 Working Title Registrar Assistant Position Number Department Records About the University
For more than 6,000 students each semester, the University of Arkansas – Fort Smith offers a dynamic and diverse learning community with a student-centered approach focused on the success of the individual. Small class sizes combine with innovative, hands-on learning and research experiences alongside expert faculty to ensure students receive a future-focused education at the most affordable tuition rate in the state. The university has undergone significant changes since its founding in 1928 and now offers 51 bachelor’s and associate degrees, two master’s degrees, and 36 certificate programs, all aimed at preparing students for success in the global workforce. UAFS is one of 21 academic institutions and affiliates governed by the University of Arkansas System.
The second-largest city in the state, Fort Smith is located on the Arkansas-Oklahoma border in the heart of the Arkansas River Valley. Established in 1817 as a frontier military post, Fort Smith is now a vibrant and growing city featuring a variety of cultural activities and entertainment options, including a thriving downtown arts and entertainment district. Outdoors enthusiasts will appreciate the Natural State’s plentiful trails, mountains, forests, parks, and waterways, both within city limits and throughout the surrounding area. The city is also within easy driving distance of Tulsa, Kansas City, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Little Rock, and Memphis.
The UAFS campus is comprised of 77 buildings and facilities located on 170 beautifully manicured acres and crowned with the Donald W. Reynolds Campus Plaza, Tower, and Campus Green. Students who choose to live on campus may do so in one of two residence hall complexes, complete with a full-service dining center, or the on-campus apartment complex for married students and upperclassmen. Campus involvement is encouraged by participation in more than 100 registered student organizations, which includes academic societies, a dynamic Greek life system, intramural sports, and cultural/special interest groups. The UAFS Lions compete in NCAA Division II Lonestar Conference in men’s baseball, women’s volleyball, and men’s and women’s basketball, golf, cross country, and tennis.
About the College / Department Position Summary
The Registrar Assistant serves as the primary contact at the front service counter to greet and serve student and community. This person is responsible for completion of work activities associated with student registrations, add/drops and student record requests, provides accurate records information and services to students, the public, faculty and campus community in a positive customer service delivery. He/she is cross trained in many Records functions and provides backup support as needed. This person serves as a student advocate who is committed to helping students find educational success. The Registrar Assistant reports to the Registrar and Associate Registrar.
Summary of Job Duties
• Greets and serves students and community at the Registrar’s Office service counter.
• Provides assistance in the Registrar’s Office to students, faculty, staff, and the general public by handling transcript requests, answering questions, making ID cards, and distributing appropriate forms at the service counter or by telephone as needed.
• Receives, processes, and audits registrations and change of schedule forms to ensure information is correct in computer database. Makes corrections as appropriate. Prints schedules as needed.
• Processes enrollment and degree verification requests for student loans, job applications and other requests with proper written release from the student.
• Serves as the initial contact person for customers at the service counter and via the primary telephone line to the Records Office.
• Processes transcript requests and prepares them for distribution.
• Interprets policies, procedures, rules, and regulations associated with registration and makes appropriate recommendations and decisions.
• Works with the UAFS document imaging system.
• Maintains supply of forms distributed at the service counter by checking them for accuracy and making corrections as needed.
• Maintains student records in accordance with FERPA and University regulations.
• Responsible for maintaining a positive work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner to foster teamwork and by providing leadership to subordinates. Requires consistent on-time attendance.
• Other duties as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include a high school diploma or equivalent, plus two semesters of college-level coursework, and one (1) year of experience in office/records keeping or related field is required. Computer skills are necessary. Other job related education and/or experience may be substituted for part of these requirements.
License(s)/Certifications Preferred Qualifications
Associate degree; prior experience in a college admissions or records/registrar office..
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Excellent customer service skills
• Excellent telephone and written communication skills
• Ability to successfully function within a fast paced, stressful environment, while maintaining a positive attitude toward students and coworkers
• Accuracy and attention to detail
• Knowledge of FERPA and the highly confidential nature and scope of this position
• Excellent data entry skills with the ability to access and load student information into Banner
• Knowledge of the university’s policies, processes and academic programs
• Ability to maintain a filing system
• Professional demeanor and commitment
• Ability to work with a diverse student population
• Caring attitude and commitment to seeing students achieve academic success
Special Job Dimensions
Work is performed in a professional office setting. Occasional extended walking required (on-campus) for deliveries and errands. Walks and sits for extended periods of time doing data entry, bends to find materials in files. Occasional overtime required during peak periods.
The Registrar’s Office hours are Monday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, Tuesday 8:00 am to 6 pm, Wednesday – Thursday 8:00 am to 5 pm, and Friday 9:00 am -5:00 pm. The registrar assistant will normally work 8:00 am – 5:00 pm; occasional evening coverage to 6:00 pm may be required.
Salary $22,013 Benefits
Competitive benefits package.
Background Check / Pre-Employment Screening
This position may be subject to a pre-employment criminal background check, sex offender registry check, financial history background check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background checks and drug screening information will be used in a confidential, non- discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Does this position require a background check? Criminal Background Check, Financial History Background Check, and Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) Check
Open Date 04/26/2021 Close Date Open Until Filled Yes Special Instructions to Applicants
Open until filled. For full consideration, applications must be received by May 21, 2021.
Anticipated start date 06/14/2021 EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas – Fort Smith is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution, dedicated to attracting and supporting diverse student, faculty, and staff populations. The University welcomes applications without regard to race, religion, color, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, family medical history or genetic information, political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit based factors. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial College Transcripts
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you understand that failure to complete the Employment
History section of the application will result in automatic
- * Did you complete the Employment History section of the
- * Do you have experience working in an office environment?
- * Do you have records-keeping experience?
- * Have you ever been fired or asked to resign from a job?
- * If yes, please describe.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you learn of this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Business & Administrative Support Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Fort Smith