Manager of Systems Administration, Information Technology
The Information Technology department invites applications for a Manager of Systems Administration . Reporting to the Executive Director of Cyber-Infrastructure in Central IT, this position is responsible for managing the daily operation of the university's Systems Administration group that provides server and storage operation and support services for enterprise information resources including but not limited to the multi-campus Banner Information System, e-mail systems and services, robust VMware environment, and many different services provided by the team. This role requires three key traits in order to continue pushing UM IT forward: management skills, project management, and familiarity with information security. The incumbent will be expected to lead, manage, and prioritize projects for the Systems Administration group; in addition, this position will supervise a group of employees that consists of eight technical staff members and will have complete independence over decision making authority regarding performance and employment relationship matters.
Essential Functions include but are not limited to:
- Mentoring and supervising a staff of professional Linux and Windows systems administrators and provides regular feedback and conducts performance reviews to staff.
- Conducts professional evaluations, determines staff duties and responsibilities, determines staff priorities, and schedules unit activities to meet customer commitments and obligations.
- Recruits and hires new employees, initiates and implements discipline and terminates employees as necessary.
- Manages and prioritizes schedule for project tasks and the work schedule and assignments of designated staff.
- Work directly with IT leadership to establish appropriate security policies to satisfy developing Information Technology "compliance" requirements by recommending standards, best practices, and guidelines.
- Protects UM enterprise systems by implementing disaster recovery and back-up procedures and information security and control structures.
- Provide technical assistance to UM IT Security Officer in investigations of possible data security violations and compromises as needed.
- Research industry trends and developments in server and storage architecture.
- Planning, design, implementation and maintenance of central “production” and “development/test” server and data storage environments.
- Responsible for leading, planning, organizing, directing and overall management of multiple complex technology-based projects.
- Assist stakeholders to clarify the business challenge/objectives and set the scope of the projects.
- Will define and implement a project approach and deliverables to most efficiently and effectively meet project objectives and stakeholders needs.
- Set, deliver, and meet project deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from a variety of diverse backgrounds
- Ability to effectively and credibly communicate with campus members, team members, collaborators, and student staff with sensitivity to the level of technical communication appropriate to the task and audience
- Experience supporting servers running one or more Linux operating systems such as: Red Hat/CentOS, Ubuntu, and Scientific Linux
- Strong foundation in systems administration principles, including systems automation, change management, capacity planning, documentation, etc.
- Experience leading technology implementation projects
- Experience in developing and deploying project best practices, policies, procedures, and processes.
- Demonstrated experience in project team management
- Excellent troubleshooting skills and customer service.
- Experience with system monitoring and monitoring tools
- Demonstrates a proficiency to work with other Linux and Windows Servers administrators
- Demonstrates a proficiency to learn and adapt in rapidly changing environment
- Demonstrates a proficiency to maintain legacy hardware and software
- High degree of initiative and ability to work with little supervision
- Experience with enterprise backup solutions
- Experience with virtualization and working with virtualized servers
- Familiarity with project management methodologies, change management processes, and ITIL methodologies
- Ability to conduct research into hardware and software issues and products as required
- Ability to lead and motivate cross-functional and interdisciplinary teams to achieve strategic goals
- Advanced knowledge of local area network administration, fibre, and working knowledge of TCP/IP, DHCP, and DNS.
- Advanced knowledge of managing backups with CommVault or other enterprise level backup software across a variety of storage media
- In-depth knowledge and experience planning and executing large, phased technology rollouts
- Experience with multiple PM methodologies (Waterfall, Agile, etc.)
- Advanced working technical knowledge of Linux operating systems: RHEL required; CentOS, Ubuntu, FreeBSD preferred
- Position is full-time, 1.0 FTE (with potential for work outside of these hours), MUS Contract and includes a comprehensive and competitive benefits package including Insurance package, mandatory retirement plan, partial tuition waiver, and wellness program.
- Salary range for this position at a 1.0 FTE is $70,000 per year commensurate with qualifications.
Minimum Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field and seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience, including two (2) years managing a staff of 2 or more employees within an enterprise Information Technology environment utilizing current server and storage technology; or an equivalent combination of education and experience necessary to successfully carry out the responsibilities of the position
About the IT Department and UM
Information Technology (IT at UM) provides computing, network, and telecommunications infrastructure, supports enterprise level software, and offers a range of technology support services for the Missoula campus. The organization also coordinates with the other Montana University System campuses, the local community, and the State of Montana to ensure consistency of offerings and policy. IT at the University of Montana is led by a Chief Information Officer (CIO), who reports to UM's President and sits on the President's cabinet and council of vice presidents.
Nestled in at the base of Mount Sentinel and on the banks of the Clark Fork River, UM campus is described as one of the most beautiful in the US. The region boasts unparalleled year around recreational opportunities and a vibrant arts and culture community. UM offers a unique opportunity for professional growth in a magnificent environment. The University of Montana offers eligible employees a generous benefits package that positively separates UM from other local employers and offers many programs and policies to support work-life balance for its employees.
UM provides a culture that values hard work, intellectual curiosity, diversity, collegiality, innovative thinking, and teamwork, making it a great place to grow and develop professionally. Located in the heart of western Montana’s stunning natural landscape, UM attracts first rate teachers, researchers, and students from around the world. A city within a city – with its own eateries, stores, medical facilities, banking and postal services, and zip code – UM has an increasingly diverse population and rich culture.
The University of Montana is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity as a core value. We support equal access and welcome applications from individuals of all backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. This position is eligible for veterans' and disabilities preference in accordance with Montana State Law.
To learn more about the University of Montana, Missoula, and the State of Montana, please visit the links below.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: Tuesday , May 11, 2021 by 11:59 PM (Mountain Time)
Candidates are required to submit the following materials online via "New Resume/CV" button below.
A complete application Includes:
- Letter of Interest – addressing your qualifications and experience related to the stated required skills for the position. A general letter salutation such as “Dear Search Committee” or “Dear Hiring Manager” is acceptable.
- Detailed Resume – listing education and describing work experience
- Professional References – names and contact information for three (3) professional references
Job Location Missoula, Montana, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Computer Services & Information Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Technology Administration/Other Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner
- Chief Technology & Information Officers Not specified Full Time jobs in Bonner