Faculty Position in Journalism
The Doha Institute’s Journalism Program invites applications for a faculty position in Journalism. The ideal candidate for the position will have proven professional experience as a multiplatform journalist, a degree in Journalism (preferably graduate) and knowledge of Arabic. Prior teaching experience is a plus. Rank will depend on qualifications and experience.
Job responsibilities for the faculty position in Journalism include teaching 2-3 courses per semester, academic and thesis/capstone advising, and serving on program and school committees. Program courses include news reporting and writing, data journalism, media ethics, investigative journalism, and multimedia storytelling. The new faculty member may also assist with the establishment and production of a new online student newspaper.
The candidate is expected to be active in professional production, contribute creative output, and enhance teaching quality and the overall visibility of the program and Institute regionally and internationally.
Founded in Doha, Qatar, the DI is a non-profit and independent institute that responds to the needs of the Arab region by integrating graduate teaching and learning with scientific research in the fields of Social Work, Psychology, Social Sciences, Humanities, Public Administration and Development Economics. It offers highly competitive compensation and benefits packages.
The Doha Institute is located in the heart of the Qatari capital, Doha, which is a strategically located cultural, media, and educational hub in the Arab region. Doha hosts a variety of international sporting events, including the 2022 World Cup, and boasts a plethora of cultural icons, traditional souqs, modern malls, world-class museums and exhibits, luxury man-made islands, and one of the world’s best airports.
Experienced journalist will teach skills courses in the Journalism program, advise theses/capstone projects, serve on academic committees, carry out academic advising duties, and assist with the establishment of a new digitial student newspaper. Doha Institute journalism faculty are also expected to engage in professional production and other activities that help enhance the Institute’s global profile.
The DI recognizes the importance of English for research and teaching. However, the ability to teach in Arabic is essential.
The appointment is to commence August 2021. The search will continue until the position is filled. Inquiries and application materials [including a cover letter, detailed curriculum vitae, evidence of teaching experience (if any), publication sample, and the names of three references] should be sent by 1 June 2021 to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information on the DI’s mission, schools and programs, please visit: www.dohainstitute.edu.qa.
The successful candidate should be able to:
- Teach a variety of journalism production courses addressing story ideation and construction, sourcing, interview techniques, field camera operation, microphone, lighting, sound, and editing. Courses may include News Reporting and Writing, Data Journalism, Media Ethics and Law, and Investigative Journalism. Doha Institute instructors are expected to develop and enhance curricula, and deliver high quality, research-driven teaching.
City - Doha
Experience and Knowledge
Successful candidate will have proven professional journalism experience working across multiple platforms. Prior teaching experience at the university level is preferred. Proficiency in Arabic is essential.
Education and Certification
Candidates should hold a graduate degree in journalism. Exceptions may be made for candidates possessing exceptional professional experience.
- Excellent professional reporting, writing, editing, and video production skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- The ability to design and deliver course content
- Ability to balance between teaching, advising, and service
- Commitments to interdisciplinarity, diversity, and knowledge-transfer
- Cover Letter.
- A current CV, including documentation of educational and work experience.
- Names of three references who can speak to the candidate’s professional expertise and professional demeanor.
- One writing sample.
- Statement of teaching experience and/or philosophy.
- The Doha Institute offers a competitive salary, along with other benefits based on rank and years of experience. It also offers opportunities for promotion.
- Successful candidate will join the Institute in August 2021.
- Applications should be sent to email@example.com by no later than 1 June 2021.
Apply for Faculty Position in Journalism
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly