Operations Area Manager
Operations Area Manager
Job No: 496713
Position Type: full-time
Location: Lewisburg, PA
The Operations Area Manager has responsibility for prioritizing, scheduling and assigning work, supervising, training and developing staff members, equipment and workloads. Safety and day-to-day functions which comprise daily operational support such as custodial, housekeeping, special events, conference, and facilities maintenance requirements will play an integral part of this supervisory role as well. Our custodial staff requires great interpersonal skills as you'll frequently interact with customers such as students, visitors, contractors, vendors, and other University staff. Apply today if this active position sounds like something you'd enjoy!
This is a full-time, exempt, benefits eligible position reporting to the Associate Director of Operations.
Job duties include:
- Works with all University departments, students, staff, and
customers to determine work and resource requirements to support
daily operations such as custodial, housekeeping, special events,
conference, and facilities maintenance requirements. Establishes,
evaluates, and schedules programs for proper procedures for
operations, maintenance, training, and safety.
- Develops schedules, assigns tasks, and checks
- Directly supervises staff including, but not limited to setting
and demonstrating performance standards, interviewing and hiring,
performance management, coaching/counseling and progressive
discipline, monitoring/reviewing time cards and overtime, updating
- Coordinates and implements required daily operational support
to all university programs and functions to include, but not
limited to, building inspection, work order submission, athletic
events, conferences, special events, furniture storage and drayage,
equipment repairs, custodial supply storage and distribution,
charge back system, residential and Greek life coordination, tool
inventory, upholstery repairs, carpet program, furniture purchases,
special equipment, walk-off carpet program, rental properties,
paper towel and soap dispenser systems, solution centers, and
related daily operational activities.
- Acts as primary manager for all major campus
furniture/equipment moves and pest and insect control, and
designates alternate manager of special programs.
- Assesses training needs and conducts required training to
assure individual and team proficiency. Conducts recurring training
for daily operations and conducts new employee orientation and
- Responsible for distribution, repair, replacing and purchasing
custodial and maintenance supplies and equipment for the custodial
- Inspects work areas, storage areas, supplies, and equipment to
determine proper procedures are being followed and standards are
- Works with others as a team member or team leader in
coordinating services throughout the campus as needed. Cross-trains
others to ensure special programs will function in the absence of
the primary manager. Ensures special program budgets are spent
wisely and that all customers are treated fairly and
- Prepares documents, spreadsheets, and databases, communicates
with email, and uses facilities maintenance software.
- Adheres to OSHA standards, employs safe practices, and follows
safety policies/procedures. Uses PPE in a safe manner, sets
examples for others and notifies supervisors of potential hazards,
and demonstrates good housekeeping habits.
- Supports and promotes the University's sustainability
● High school diploma or equivalent
● Three years of supervisory experience. Experience in operating and training staff on the proper use of a variety of custodial manual and motor driven tools and equipment.
● Knowledge of and experience with cleaning techniques, products and equipment.
● Strong customer service focus and time management and organizational skills.
● Proficiency with Word, Excel, email, and other similar software programs.
● Ability to work with numerous interruptions, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
● Strong interpersonal skills, exhibited by the ability to exercise diplomacy, tact, discretion, and strict confidentiality with all persons both within and outside the department.
● Ability to work independently and as a team member; take initiative, use good judgment, and communicate effectively.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusiveness.
● A valid driver's license and a safe driving record for the past three years.
● This staff position is classified as part of essential services. This individual is required to report to work even if campus has a delayed opening, early closing, or is closed, unless instructed otherwise by a supervisor or when the individual has concerns related to their personal safety.
● Able to work occasional overtime as required.
● Post offer drug screening, motor vehicle and background checks will be conducted.
● Bends, kneels, stoops, pushes, pulls, reaches above and below shoulders, lifts and carries objects up to 25 pounds unassisted; assists others in moving objects greater than 25 pounds as needed; climbs and works on stools, ladders, stairs and elevated platforms with training and safety equipment.
● Must be able to work outdoors and indoors.
● Daily exposure to dust, dirt, cleaning detergents and chemicals, odors, body fluids and waste, weather and temperature changes.
To apply, visit https://careers.bucknell.edu/en-us/job/496713/operations-area-manager