The South Dakota Board of Regents invites nominations and applications for the position of President of Northern State University, one of six universities in an integrated system of higher education in South Dakota governed by the Board. Northern State University is a student-centered institution committed to academic and extracurricular excellence, and global learning opportunities in a beautiful Midwestern setting. Northern is charged with promoting excellence in teaching and learning, supporting research, scholarly and creative activities, and providing service to the State of South Dakota, the region, and beyond. The successful candidate will thrive in a public university system led by a Board of Regents and Executive Director.
NSU is poised to attract its next president following its significant investment in modernizing the campus with state of the art facilities, including two new residence halls, the Harvey C. Jewett IV Regional Science Education Center, a completely expanded, remodeled and rehabilitated Theatre and Fine Arts building, and is currently completing construction on a new regional sports-complex, including a new football stadium scheduled for grand opening in Fall of 2022.
The successful candidate will possess the following qualities, experiences and characteristics:
- A strategic and forward-thinking visionary that brings people
together to forward initiatives and goals for the university.
- The ability to effectively shape productive and collaborative
relationships with multiple constituencies and be a champion for
- A student-centered leader who will enrich the student
experience, and foster a culture of innovation and
- Be an outstanding communicator and listener with a willingness
to embrace the university’s culture and traditions.
- The ability, insight and organizational skills needed to develop talent, build and empower effective teams and incorporate best practices.
- A transformational, energetic presence with entrepreneurial spirit to enhance both image and support of the college.
- The highest personal integrity, ethics, and an executive
presence demonstrating a strong moral compass, with kindness and
- The ability to positively and effectively engage with the local
community through development of interpersonal connections and
relationships with community leaders and local industry partners,
the successful candidate will be visible, approachable and
integrated in the Aberdeen community.
- The ability to effectively organize information and priorities and make prompt, sound decisions in the midst of complex and exacting circumstances.
- Business sense and success in finance, budget allocation, and resource generation with private gifts.
- Knowledgeable about key issues affecting public universities, including enrollment, retention strategies and innovations in education and will be willing to take risks as a change agent.
- An earned doctorate or a combination of graduate degree and senior level experience that would earn the respect of the academic community is required.
NOMINATIONS AND APPLICATIONS
Review of credentials will begin immediately. For fullest consideration, materials should be submitted by May 23, 2021. Please visit https://www.northern.edu/presidential-search for more information about the position and organization.
To be considered, the application should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include:
- A letter of interest;
- A current résumé or curriculum vitae; and,
- The names of five or more professional references with each person's position, office or home address, e-mail address, and telephone numbers.
Applications will remain confidential except of those invited for campus interviews.
The South Dakota Board of Regents is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Board of Regents will take Affirmative Action to ensure that all employment practices are free of discrimination. In addition, the Board of Regents fully supports incorporation of non-discrimination and Affirmative Action rules and regulations into all of its employment practices. Arrangements for accommodations required by disabilities can be made by contacting Kayla Bastian at 605-773-3455 or email@example.com.