Head of Access Services
Head Of Access Services
This is a full-time, 10-month staff position that begins after September 1, 2021 and will be on-campus.
Under the direction of the Library Director, manages the day-to-day operations of functional areas within the Access Services division. The Head of Access Services has overall responsibility and accountability for providing planning and direction to multiple functional areas within the department, with an emphasis on ensuring quality service for patrons. The scope of responsibility includes all points of service delivery at the University. Participates in the development, recommendation and administration of library policies, procedures and processes. Provides significant budget input and oversees management of expenditures for entire library. Provides statistics, data and reports of usage as needed for library strategic planning.
Works collaboratively with University departments, the community, and/or external agencies. Supervises a team of (15-18) Access Services Student Workers who work over 87.5 hours of open library hours a week, with 150 total hours of coverage, including double student coverage on nights and weekends.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The statements below are intended to describe the principal duties of the person or persons assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties and responsibilities. Lasell College has the right to add or change the job responsibilities at any time.
- Maintain accurate database of patron records, address any
- Acts as final arbitrator for individual patron complaints or
concerns regarding access services.
- Maintain relationship with Minuteman Library Network to uphold
and resolve all network circulation policies and issues. Attend
meetings and continuous training on Sierra library services
- Address any issues with regional delivery service provided by
the Massachusetts Library System.
- Continuously improve access services processes and procedures
to increase accuracy, efficiency, and cost savings.
- Compile statistical reports pertaining to the circulation and
usage of library collections and space usage in order to determine
student-driven strategic planning.
- Act as liaison with all patron communities: students, faculty,
staff, village residents, Barn & Rockwell, and
- Generate reports of students with outstanding fines or overdue
materials, and work with Registrar to put administrative holds on
their records. Communicate with Registrar to clear students'
administrative holds once they have resolved library fines and
- Use Innovative Interfaces Sierra program to create lists and
reports for statistics, NEASC, library annual reports, and other
needed clean-up reports.
- Manage maintenance of library shelves and accuracy of catalog
by coordinating shelf-reading projects and generating missing book
lists in order to search for missing items and withdraw items
determined to be lost. Supervise shelving of materials and shelf
- Attend annual Access Services Conference to stay updated on
trends and improvements to access services in academic library
- Oversee lending of technology equipment for faculty, staff, and
- Oversee lending of videography equipment for students in the
School of Communication and the Arts
Student Worker Supervision
- Hire, train, supervise and give performance reviews for all
library student workers (currently 17), utilizing institutional
best practices for inclusive excellence.
- Create an environment that encourages teamwork, connected
learning, accountability, and leadership opportunities.
- Manage student work schedule for all days/hours per week that
the library is open, including holidays and any college closures
due to inclement weather or special events.
- Manage student payroll approval each week, resolve any
- Provide on-call support for any scheduling or library issues or
concerns that student workers escalate when no staff is present in
the library, generally on weekends and evenings.
Library Accounting and General
- Library accounts payable: pay invoices, troubleshoot billing
issues and MasterCard reconciliation.
- Manage the spreadsheet that tracks all expenditures of the
library's $350k department budget and update weekly. Assist
Director with fiscal year budget management and budget planning for
new fiscal year.
- Manage relationships with library vendors, including an Amazon
- Create and maintain library signage, including circulation and
reference desks, outside displays, and large screen monitor. Use
social media to promote new materials, events, changes to hours,
- Procurement: create best practices for purchase of supplies and
equipment, with goal of cost savings whenever possible
- Liaison with Information Technology Dept. regarding
problems/issues with library equipment and technology
- Represent Lasell University at Minuteman Library Network
Circulation Supervisor group meetings.
- Plan, communicate, and execute student events at the library to
promote services and offer free activities to students at all
- Other duties as assigned by Library Director.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- MLS or comparable graduate degree or 5 years of relevant
- One to three years' experience using an automated library
system, preferably Innovative Interfaces platform
- Budget management experience
- One to three years supervisory experience
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent oral, written, communication and customer service
- Strong computer literacy skills including Microsoft Office
- Professional experience in an academic library
- Experience supervising student workers
- Experience in Reference or other public services
- Strong Excel skills
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills; ability to work with
fellow Library staff, student workers, Lasell faculty and students,
Lasell Village residents, and members of the public
Interested candidates should upload a letter of interest, resume and the information of three (3) references using the forms below.
Review of resumes will begin immediately, and applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Lasell University is committed to equal opportunity in every aspect of hiring and employment. Lasell proactively reviews its policies and practices to assure that decisions with respect to every dimension of employment are made without regard to age, color of skin, disability, gender expression and identity, genetic predisposition, marital status, national origin, race, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran's status, status as a victim of domestic violence, and all other protected groups and classes under Federal and State Laws and executive orders.
To apply for the position, please visit: https://www.lasell.edu/discover-lasell/human-resources/employment-opportunities/staff-positions/head-of-access-services.html