Recruitment Period: 04/22/2021 - Until Filled
Status: Full Time
Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences (PNWU) was founded as a 501(c) (3) non-profit medical institution in 2005 aimed at increasing access to health care in medically underserved areas of the Pacific Northwest.
The University currently offers the degree of Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine and Master of Arts in Medical Science enrolling over 550 students annually with plans to develop other programs and/or colleges. Interprofessional education partnerships with other universities adds another 100 students to the population. The campus includes 300 employees with academic programming spread over a five state region.
PNWU is located in Yakima, WA, a city of approximately 95,000 located in the south central part of the state near the eastern slopes of the Cascade Mountains in a major agricultural and outdoor recreation region. It is approximately 140 miles from Seattle, 170 miles from Portland, and 200 miles from Spokane. The Yakima Valley is a wonderful place to live, work and play.
PNWU seeks an experienced, innovative, and service-focused professional to fill the position of library director. This is a non-faculty position with supported opportunities to contribute to the profession through research and other scholarly activities, including service to professional organizations.
The Library Director supervises staff, and controls facilities as well as budgets related to the library. The Library Director is responsible for the development, implementation, and evaluation of library services and collections to meet the scholarly needs of the students, faculty, and staff.
Essential Job Functions:
- Develops, directs, and assesses library planning and ensures its alignment with the PNWU mission, vision, and goals
- Develops and implements library policies and procedures
- Provides reference and research assistance to staff, faculty, and students
- Develops and manages the library budget
- Directs collection development; collaborates with faculty, students, and staff in the selection of resources
- Manages library e-resources, including licensing, access, and web content
- Provides supervision, conducts performance appraisals, delegates work assignments, and provides professional development and training for library personnel
- Provides student and faculty orientation in use of library services
- Participates on appropriate University committees and professional library organizations
- Chairs PNWU Library Committee
- Participates in professional activities and maintains current knowledge of developments, technologies, and trends in library and information science
- Acts as University copyright agent and provides guidance to faculty, staff, and students on library and classroom use of copyrighted materials
- Understands accreditation standards and expectations specific to the department and adheres to policies and procedures to meet or exceed such standards
- Conducts self appropriately and consistently in accordance with the philosophy and mission of PNWU
- Other duties as assigned
- Required: Master’s Degree in Library/Information Science from American Library Association accredited institution
- Required: Member of Academy of Health Information Professionals or demonstrated knowledge of, or coursework in, the health sciences
- At least five years of increasingly responsible experience in an academic or health sciences library, including supervisory experience
- At least five years of experience with biomedical database searching
Desired Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
Strong organizational, interpersonal, and planning skills; strong verbal and written communication skills; ability to work in a team and flexibility to work with others in a variety of circumstances; ability to problem solve by analyzing issues and creating action plans; ability to lead projects and people and prioritize and self-direct work flow; ability to work with and manage different computer programs and databases; ability to schedule and present instructional activities and/or meetings; and serves as a representative and liaison to the PNWU community and external entities.
To ensure full consideration apply to https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/540997 and submit:
- A letter of introduction outlining background and qualifications for the position
- Detailed curriculum vitae
- Contact information for three professional references
The job announcement above is not the full job description, but represents the job responsibilities and requirements. A full job description can be provided upon request.
PNWU offers a comprehensive benefits package to eligible employees first of the month following date of hire and competitive salary.
For information about life in Yakima visit our PNWU page.
PNWU is a drug-free workplace, equal opportunity employer and educational institution. To request this publication in an alternative format, or to apply in an alternative format, please call Human Resources, 509.452.5100.