Job Summary/Basic Function
This is skilled work at the journey level in the installation, operation, maintenance, and repair of refrigeration and/or heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning ( HVAC ) systems, units, equipment, and peripheral devices in state-owned and operated buildings. An employee in this job installs, services, and repairs refrigeration and/or HVAC systems, units, equipment, and peripheral devices. Work includes responding to service calls; locating and diagnosing malfunctions; performing maintenance and repair; responding to emergencies by going onsite and troubleshooting a variety of problems; and disassembling, repairing, adjusting, or replacing condensers, thermostats, diffusers, humidistats, pumps, compressors, belts, pulleys and related equipment. Work also includes accessing automated systems via a computer; monitoring temperatures, humidity levels and other data; adjusting on-line or in person; monitoring adjustments to ensure desired results; and conducting building inspections to ensure adequate heating, cooling, humidifying, dehumidifying, and circulation in buildings. Work is carried out under the guidelines of federal, state, and local laws and regulations pertaining to refrigeration and/or HVAC operations and maintenance, and established trade practices on a 24-hour, 7 day a week basis. Work is performed under the supervision of a maintenance, environmental control, or trades supervisor, and is reviewed through inspections, meetings, reports, and customer satisfaction.
Performs a variety of standard to moderately complex technical tasks related to installing, maintaining, and repairing heating, cooling, ventilation, and related systems in both commercial and residential environments. Diagnose and repair of electronic, mechanical, and electrical components on systems.
Systems include but not limited to:
Air Conditioning: window units, through wall units, split systems, heat pumps, chillers, cooling towers, DX units.
Refrigeration: refrigerators, coolers, ice cream cabinets, water coolers, reach in and walk in refrigerator/freezers, ice machines, dehumidifiers.
Auxiliary Equipment: exhaust fans, air handling units, heat exchanger units, air cleaners, ice dispensing units, cooling towers, lab equipment, steam generators.
- This position is designated an essential employee position. Employee is expected to report to work during their designated shift during emergency situations, university closures or delays. Work performed during these events will require duties typically outside normal job duties and functions. For a full description go to the University Governance & Policies Manual
- Salary range $35,364.00 to $38,298.00, commensurate with experience, plus comprehensive benefits including tuition waiver for self and dependents.
The State System Employee Benefits Summary can be found at https://www.passhe.edu/inside/HR/syshr/Benefit_Summaries/PEBTF_Summary.pdf
- Two years of experience in the maintenance, repair, or installation of refrigeration and HVAC systems, units, and equipment OR an associate degree or successful completion of a two-year post-secondary technical refrigeration/ HVAC training program OR an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- Must have or obtain an active Universal Refrigerant Transition and Recovery Certificate under Section 608 of the Clean Air act of 1990, from an approved provider within six months of employment.
- Knowledge of federal standards and practices when dealing with refrigerants. Newly mandated equipment must be properly used to mitigate refrigerant release under the EPA regulations.
- Must have a strong working knowledge of the hazards and safety precautions associated with the trade to include knowledge of chemical handling procedures (cleaners, degreasers, acids, refrigerants). Proper reclaim, recycle, and store chemicals. Adhere to lock out / tag out procedures.
- Knowledge of refrigeration and HVAC systems, equipment, methods, practices, and materials involved in the installation, operation, maintenance, testing, and repair of refrigeration and HVAC systems.
- Knowledge of computer and stand-alone pneumatic and electronic controls, functions, and technical adjustments pertaining to refrigeration and HVAC systems.
- Knowledge of the methods used to identify and correct refrigeration and HVAC systems malfunctions.
- Knowledge in the care and use of tools and equipment essential to the installation, operation, and repair of refrigeration and HVAC systems.
- Understands the process of treating air so as to simultaneously control its temperature, humidity, fresh air make up, exhaust air and distribution.
- Must be able to read and understand mechanical drawings.
- Excellent oral, written, interpersonal communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook.
- Evidence of a commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to work with students, staff, and visitors of diverse cultures, racial and ethnic groups.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Effective oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong analytical and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and in coordination with others.
- Successful interview
- Successful completion of three background checks and pre-employment physical.
- Prior experience working in a union environment.
- Prior professional work experience in a campus/institutional setting with multiple buildings.
Special Instructions to Applicants
- This position is represented by a labor union and is subject to the terms and conditions of the AFSCME Collective Bargaining Agreement.
- This position is essential as defined by the collective bargaining agreement and will be expected to report to work during weather and other emergencies.
- All employees must possess or obtain an active Universal Refrigerant Transition and Recovery Certificate from an approved provider within six months of employment.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Millersville
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Millersville
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Millersville
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Millersville
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Millersville