The Academic Advising department atSt. Catherine
Universityinvites applications for anAcademic Advisorto
assist students in the College for Women (CFW) in planning degree programs, choosing majors,
and resolving difficulties experienced in coursework.
TheAcademic Advisoralso supports advising at the university by managing events, producing advising material, and providing information to faculty and staff. This is a generalist advising position that will work with College for Women (CfW) and College for Adults (CfA) students, but will have some focus for specific advising populations by providing accurate and timely information. Academic Advising is often the first stop for students and the Advisor will develop relationships with students to assist in making appropriate referrals and recommendations.
- Meet with entering students during the summer and in January in
individual registration appointments. Provide information about
programs and assist in course scheduling.
- Provide academic advising to individual students in
appointments, walk-ins, phone contacts and groups. Assist students
with degree requirements, major requirements, and scheduling of
- Counsel students experiencing academic difficulty including
difficulty in coursework and difficulty choosing a major. Make
appropriate referrals to other offices including Counseling, Career
Development, O’Neill Center for Academic Development, and others.
Counsel student who are considering leaving the college.
- Provide support and work with a team for new student
registration events. Present and work with primarily pre-nursing
students, and other populations as needed.
- Provide consultation to faculty and staff about advising
matters. Occasionally make presentations about advising to groups
of faculty or staff.
- Maintain and update database on students. Use data in admissions and other offices to predict numbers and to track progress of students, as well as create programs as needed for various student populations.
St. Catherine University in St. Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota, is a comprehensive Catholic university and home to one of the nation’s largest colleges for women, with associate and graduate programs for all genders. Founded by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet in 1905, the University integrates liberal arts and professional education within the Catholic traditions of intellectual inquiry and social teaching. Committed to excellence and opportunity, St. Catherine enrolls nearly 5,000 students in certificate, associate, baccalaureate, master’s and doctoral programs in traditional day and evening/weekend/online formats. Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree
- Two years of full-time experience working in higher ed or
- Proficient in MS Office and Google Suite
- Master’s degree or courses taken toward a graduate degree
related to advising.
- Two years of full-time experience working with undergraduate students in an academic advising capacity.
We seek creative, adaptable faculty and staff who enjoy working in a university climate that promotes cultural diversity, multicultural understanding, and cultural fluency. Consistent with the university’s commitment to women, diversity and social justice, preference will be given to candidates who manifest these themes in their experience and service.
St. Catherine University is an equal opportunity employer. Our commitment to inclusion reflects the central value of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet to “love of neighbor without distinction” and provides a learning and working environment that is enriched by the diversity of all our members. Individuals of religious, racial, ethnic, gender identity, nation of origin, or disability groups that have traditionally had less representation in higher education are encouraged to apply. Should you need an interview accommodation please contact us email@example.com 651-690-6565.Application instructions for STAFF
VisitSt. Kate Careersto apply. Three references and successful completion of a background check will be required for employment. For information, contact Lizette Bartholdi firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is May 7, 2021.
St. Catherine University
2004 Randolph Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55105
Equal Opportunity Employer / Drug Free Workplace / Tobacco Free Workplace
Our university is a proud member of the Upper MidwestHERCand is committed to recruiting and retaining outstanding and diverse faculty and staff and assisting dual career couples. For more information and to find other higher education jobs in the Upper Midwest region, visit: www.uppermidwestherc.org.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- *What is your highest level of
- Some high school
- High school diploma or GED
- Some college
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Some graduate school
- Master's degree
- Professional degree (e.g., JD, MD)
- Doctoral degree
- *For any education beyond high
school, what was your area of focus?
(Open Ended Question)
- *How many years of experience do you
have working in higher education or advising students?
- None to some
- 1 year
- 2 years
- 3 years
- 4 years
- 5 years or more
- *St. Kate’s is committed to making
Inclusive Excellence a reality and has identified “Drive a Culture
of Inclusive Excellence” as one of six priorities in the strategic
plan. Give a specific example of how you have promoted a culture
that values diversity, equity and inclusion in your current or
(Open Ended Question)
- *Are you presently legally authorized
to work in the United States for any U.S. employer? Please be aware
that St. Catherine University is only able to consider candidates
who are authorized to work in the United States.
- *St. Catherine University welcomes
applications from candidates who are traditionally
under-represented. We are happy to consider candidates who are
currently in possession of a temporary work visa, however, please
be aware that we do not offer employment visa sponsorship. Will you
now or in the future require an employer to sponsor you for an
employment-based visa/status in the U.S. (e.g. H-1B status)?
- *Can you perform the essential
functions of this position with or without accommodation?
- *How did you hear about this
- St. Catherine University website
- St. Catherine University employee
- Academic Jobs
- American College Personnel Association (ACPA)
- Association of Catholic Colleges/Universities
- Association of Student Affairs at Catholic Colleges and Universities
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- College or University website
- Council of Independent Colleges
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
- Google Jobs
- Higher Education Case Managers Association (HECMA)
- Higher Education Recruitment Consortium (HERC)
- Hispanic Outlook on Education Magazine
- Inside Higher Ed
- Insight Into Diversity
- Latinos in Higher Ed
- LGBTQ in Higher Education
- Minnesota College Professionals Association
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- MinnesotaWorks.net/Minnesota Workforce Center
- Minority Jobs
- NAFSA: Association of International Educators
- National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
- National Association of Student Personnel Administrators (NASPA)
- National Conference on Race and Ethnicity (NCORE)
- People of Color in Higher Education
- Pioneer Press
- Pollen Midwest
- Saint Paul Chamber of Commerce (SPACC)
- Star Tribune
- Twin Cities Senior Student Affairs Officers listserv
- Women in Higher Education
- Cover Letter