Safety Specialist - (STA007261)
Conducts safety audits of laboratories and trade shops, provides safety training and maintains regulatory records. May also implement hazardous waste management program.
- Audits campus for assigned safety areas, including laboratory safety, chemical safety, radiation safety, biological safety, use of controlled substances, laser and X-ray machine safety, Hazardous waste material, EPA Compliance and trades shop safety.
- Maintains records of safety programs, in compliance with state and federal regulations; Document findings on an EHLS audit report, maintain applicable computer databases.
- Evaluates work area and practices for proper safety controls and make requirement(s) to develop work practices that reduce the potential for accidents.
- Implements safety programs in assigned area of specialization such as blood borne pathogen, radiation dosimetry, hazardous waste or job safety analysis.
- Develops and trains faculty, staff and students in various safety programs, including chemical safety, materials handling, hazardous waste and environmental awareness or customized training for unique hazardous operations.
- Conducts comprehensive audits to ensure compliance with Department of Health and Human Services and other safety published information, regulatory agency regulations. Require improvement and/or corrective actions to prevent reoccurrence of safety violations.
- Manage waste stream, collection of hazardous waste, moving it through the Hazardous waste Facility and associated profiles, document for vendor and regulatory agencies. Have help with bulking hazardous waste activities, including new potential bulking procedures. Collect and maintain chemical inventory records for each lab.
- Maintains working knowledge of federal, state and local regulations requirement and ensures proper implementation.
- Responds to, investigates and documents incidents and emergencies, including spills and potential overexposure to hazardous material as part of the emergency response team.Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
Bachelors and 1 year experience.
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
Requires a minimum of one (1) year of directly job-related experience.
Requires technical certification or licensing directly related to the job, as specified on the job posting details.
Notes to Applicant: 11-9199.02 - Compliance Managers
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Vocational & Technical Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston
- Other Science & Technology Not specified Full Time jobs in Houston