at the University of West Georgia
The Vice Provost will build upon current strengths and elevate academics for the University of West Georgia. Reporting to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs, this senior officer leads UWG’s Newnan and Douglasville campuses and the eCore and eCampus endeavors and is responsible for academic testing services, institutional effectiveness, and assessment. As a member of the senior academic leadership team, the Vice Provost supports shared governance, policy, and student success initiatives across the University.
See complete information the Search Profile at https://myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/UWG_ViceProvost.pdf.
About the University of West Georgia
Since 1906, the University of West Georgia has been home to those who seek a transformative college experience. UWG is a leading residential, doctoral comprehensive university that offers a broad undergraduate and graduate curriculum based on a liberal arts foundation.
Nestled on a picturesque 645 acres, the University of West Georgia is just 50 miles west of Atlanta. Serving more than 13,400 students across nine academic units, the University is known for its innovative academic programs and student-centered environment. It is a regional powerhouse with locations in Carrollton, Douglasville, and Newnan, Georgia. With students from 36 states and 69 countries, UWG is locally connected and globally relevant.
Perennially ranked by U.S. News & World Report, the Princeton Review, and Colleges of Distinction as a top national university, the University currently offers 92 programs of study: 45 bachelor’s; 24 master’s; six specialist; five doctoral; nine post-baccalaureate; two post-master certificates, and one undergraduate certificate.
The University of West Georgia generates a regional economic impact of more than $632 million and provides a safe, quality, and affordable educational experience that transforms lives.
UWG has been recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for its institutional commitment to community engagement through teaching, research, and public service with the Community Engagement Classification. UWG was one of only 119 U.S. colleges and universities to receive the elective classification in 2020 and joins the ranks of only 359 institutions nationally.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Vice Provost
Through visionary, inclusive, and entrepreneurial leadership, the Vice Provost will work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and administration to:
- Lead analytics, review, and forward-thinking planning to ensure relevance and success for academic programs.
- Coordinate academic affairs across multiple campuses.
- Oversee institutional effectiveness with emphasis on University and disciplinary accreditation.
- Provide creative, collaborative leadership consistent with the mission of the University.
- Implement effective and efficient policy, personnel, continuous improvement, fiscal and strategic processes, and leadership through shared governance.
- Represent the University to a variety of external constituents
The Vice Provost will be a strategic leader who fosters a sense of place and cultivates world-class academic success. Within the context of the opportunities and challenges of 21st century higher education, the Vice Provost will demonstrate:
- The ability to foster academic excellence
- Experience in working with faculty and academic leaders in multiple disciplines
- Experience with accreditation and compliance
- A commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion
- An ability to successfully cultivate an environment of teamwork through integrity and building trust through shared governance
- Strong written and interpersonal skills
The Vice Provost must have an earned doctorate, a progressive record of increasing leadership, and a distinguished record of scholarly achievement and professional accomplishments sufficient to qualify for appointment at the rank of professor in one of the colleges’ academic programs. Successful administrative experience in supervision of faculty and financial stewardship is required.
Finalists for the position will perform successfully in an on-campus interview that includes a public presentation.
Highly Preferred Experiences
- Successful stewardship and expansion of academic programs
- Successful history of strategic planning and resource stewardship
- Demonstrated commitment of supporting cultural and gender equity
- Collaboration with and support for faculty and staff from a wide range of disciplines
- Strategic program review and resource prioritization
- Demonstrated success in working with partners across the University such as Student Affairs, Enrollment Management, Auxiliary Services, Advancement, and Research
Living in Carrollton, “The City of Dreams,” offers the advantages of city life with a small-town vibe. This progressive community with Southern flair offers plenty of shopping, restaurants, nightlife opportunities, and cultural events. Named a City of Excellence in Georgia and listed as one of the 50 Best Small Southern Towns, Carrollton is the cultural, educational, health care, and commercial center for the west Georgia region. Invested in education with highly rated city and county K-12 systems, both city and county public school graduation rates are 90% and above and rank among the top in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
APPLICATION & NOMINATION PROCESS
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
- Application packet must include: a) A letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, b) Current curriculum vitae, including past and current research, and c) At least five references with full contact information including e-mails (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant.)
- Submit application packet (preferably as PDFs) to UWG-VProvost@myersmcrae.com.
Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application.
For best consideration, submit applications by May 12, 2021. Review of applications begins immediately. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Submit nominations to UWG-VProvostfirstname.lastname@example.org with complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being nominated.
Kenny Daugherty, President, and Emily Parker Myers, CEO, of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, are assisting the University of West Georgia with this search.
The University of West Georgia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer, and strongly encourages the applications and nominations of women and minorities. University System of Georgia Board of Regents policy requires the completion of a background check as a prior condition of employment. The University of West Georgia does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, political affiliation, or the presence of a non-job related condition or handicap under Federal or State law.