University of Idaho
Division/College: Col of Agricultural & Life Sciences
Employee Category: Classified
Pay Range: $14.05 per hour or higher depending on experience and education. Includes a 5% Night Shift Differential
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Responsible for milking approximately 120 Holstein cows in a double 6 herringbone parlor once per day. The duties of the position include, but are not limited to: performing daily, weekly, and monthly periodic maintenance; cleaning and repair of milking and milk storage equipment; daily cleaning of parlor, holding pen, maternity and hospital areas; organizing and maintaining inventory of parts and materials related to the milking process; training and directing students in the proper operation of the milking facility and animal handling in the parlor; identifying and treating udder health problems; assisting cows in parturition; working with researchers in the gathering of milk samples and experimental data; and other duties as assigned. This position is for the night shift position, but it may alternate shifts every 3 months. The night shift works from 7:00 pm to 4:00 am, while the day shift works 7:00 am to 4:00 pm.
• High School Diploma or GED
• Experience with animal husbandry; equipment operation (milking machines, computers and milking parlor equipment).
• Experience with general animal care practices as they relate to cattle; proper safety practices.
• Experience maintaining complete and accurate records; attention to detail; communicating effectively in writing.
• Previous dairy experience and willingness to participate in team environment.
• Familiarity with: operating procedures at the University of Idaho Dairy Center; animal science research and education.
• Knowledge of: Good Laboratory Practice Standards and their application.
• Previous milking experience.
• Ability to follow specific instructions, directions, and work independently.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
• Bend, scoop, lift and/or otherwise move items weighing up to 80 lbs; work with and handle cattle in a safe manner, according to protocol.
Posting Number: SP002787P
Posting Date: 04/22/2021
Open Until Filled: Yes
This position is open until filled with a first consideration date of May 6, 2021. Applicants who apply by this date, will receive first consideration.
When writing the letter of qualification, please address how you meet each required qualification as well as all preferred and any other qualifications listed.
Background Check: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check.
To apply, please visit: jobs.uidaho.edu
University of Idaho is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Veterans/Disability Employer.