Vice President for Innovation and Research
Vice President for Innovation and Research
at the University of West Georgia
The Vice President for Innovation and Research will build upon current strengths and elevate research and scholarship activity for the University of West Georgia. The Vice President will create a research structure across the University that empowers and expands external funding, scholarship, visibility, and support for faculty, undergraduate student, and graduate student research. The Vice President will coordinate funded projects and centers and will work closely with the graduate school to curate vertically integrated research teams of faculty and graduate and undergraduate student scholars. This senior officer reports to the Provost and Senior Vice President for Academic Affairs.
See complete information the Search Profile.at https://myersmcrae.com/skins/userfiles/files/UWG_VPIR.pdf.
About the University of West Georgia
Since 1906, the University of West Georgia has been home to those who seek a transformative college experience. UWG is a leading residential, doctoral comprehensive university that offers a broad undergraduate and graduate curriculum based on a liberal arts foundation.
Nestled on a picturesque 645 acres, the University of West Georgia is just 50 miles west of Atlanta. Serving more than 13,400 students across nine academic units, the University is known for its innovative academic programs and student-centered environment. It is a regional powerhouse with locations in Carrollton, Douglasville, and Newnan, Georgia. With students from 36 states and 69 countries, UWG is locally connected and globally relevant.
Perennially ranked by U.S. News & World Report, the Princeton Review, and Colleges of Distinction as a top national university, the University currently offers 92 programs of study: 45 bachelor’s; 24 master’s; six specialist; five doctoral; nine post-baccalaureate; two post-master certificates, and one undergraduate certificate.
The University of West Georgia generates a regional economic impact of more than $632 million and provides a safe, quality, and affordable educational experience that transforms lives.
UWG has been recognized by the Carnegie Foundation for its institutional commitment to community engagement through teaching, research, and public service with the Community Engagement Classification. UWG was one of only 119 U.S. colleges and universities to receive the elective classification in 2020 and joins the ranks of only 359 institutions nationally.
Duties and Responsibilities of the Vice President for Innovation and Research
Through visionary, inclusive, and entrepreneurial leadership, the Vice President will work collaboratively with faculty, staff, and administration to:
- Expand scholarship, creative activity, and research.
- Increase external funding and expenditures.
- Coordinate key research and sponsored activity with graduate and honors programming.
- Oversee university institutes and research centers with emphasis on regional and state economic development.
- Provide creative, collaborative leadership consistent with the mission of the University.
- Supervise and develop innovative research policy and procedures.
- Ensure excellence in pre- and post-award service across the University.
- Implement effective and efficient policy, personnel, continuous improvement, fiscal and strategic processes, and leadership.
- Represent the University to a variety of external constituents.
The Vice President will be a strategic leader who fosters a sense of place and cultivates world-class research and sponsored programming. Within the context of the opportunities and challenges of 21st century higher education, the Vice President will demonstrate:
- The ability to foster research excellence
- Strong written and interpersonal skills
- An ability to successfully cultivate an environment of teamwork through integrity and building trust through shared governance
- A commitment to promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Experience in working with external partners, including private, regional, state, and federal entities
- Experience with compliance and regulation
The Vice President must have an earned doctorate and possess a progressive record of increasing leadership and a distinguished record of scholarly achievement and professional accomplishments sufficient to qualify for appointment at the rank of professor in one of the colleges’ academic programs. Successful administrative experience in supervision of faculty, graduate students, and significant externally funded research projects is required.
Finalists for the position will perform successfully in an on-campus interview that includes a public presentation.
Highly Preferred Experiences
- Experience in coordinating faculty and graduate students within a research lab
- Successful stewardship and expansion of research projects
- Successful history of strategic planning and resource stewardship
- Demonstrated commitment of supporting cultural and gender equity
- Collaboration with and support for faculty and staff from a wide range of disciplines
- Intellectual property management and policy experience
Living in Carrollton, “The City of Dreams,” offers the advantages of city life with a small-town vibe. This progressive community with Southern flair offers plenty of shopping, restaurants, nightlife opportunities, and cultural events. Named a City of Excellence in Georgia and listed as one of the 50 Best Small Southern Towns, Carrollton is the cultural, educational, health care, and commercial center for the west Georgia region. Invested in education with highly rated city and county K-12 systems, both city and county public school graduation rates are 90% and above and rank among the top in the nation by U.S. News & World Report.
APPLICATION & NOMINATION PROCESS
Confidential inquiries are welcomed, and nominations are invited.
Application packet must include: a) A letter of application that addresses the responsibilities and qualifications of the position, b) Current curriculum vitae, including past and current research, and c) At least five references with full contact information including e-mails (References will not be contacted without consent from applicant.)
Submit application packet (preferably as PDFs) to UWG-VPIR@myersmcrae.com.
Additional information will be requested upon receipt of application.
Review of applications begins immediately. For best consideration, submit applications by May 12, 2021. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Submit nominations to UWG-VPIRfirstname.lastname@example.org with complete contact and e-mail information for the individual being nominated.
Kenny Daugherty, President, and Emily Parker Myers, CEO, of Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting, are assisting the University of West Georgia with this search.
The University of West Georgia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity Employer, and strongly encourages the applications and nominations of women and minorities. University System of Georgia Board of Regents policy requires the completion of a background check as a prior condition of employment. The University of West Georgia does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital or veteran status, political affiliation, or the presence of a non-job related condition or handicap under Federal or State law.
Myers McRae Executive Search and Consulting
478-330-5222 | https://myersmcrae.com/
Apply for Vice President for Innovation and Research
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly
More searches like this
- Administrative Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Carrollton
- Academic Affairs Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Carrollton
- Chief Academic Officers & Vice Presidents Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Carrollton
- Research Administration Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Carrollton