Falconer Scholar-in-Residence -- 2021-22 Academic Year
The Spelman College Center of Excellence for Minority Women in STEM (COE-MWS) seeks applications from exceptional individuals who, through their record of scholarship, teaching, mentoring, and service, as well as their skills, experiences, and areas of scholarship, can substantially advance STEM innovation at Spelman College. Application Deadline: May 15, 2021
This is a grant-funded one year temporary assignment designed to advance the professional development of both students and faculty.
The Falconer Scholar-in-Residence will spend a minimum of one semester (maximum one academic year) at Spelman College and serve in a full-time, temporary, salaried position; hence, the Scholar is required to be in residence and on campus regularly during the academic year in order to fully engage with students, faculty, and the community.
Dr. Etta Z. Falconer was a visionary whose entire career was dedicated to the advancement of Black women in STEM. Dr. Falconer was largely responsible for developing most of the departments in the Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (NSM) at Spelman and is recognized nationally for her contributions to the retention of underrepresented groups in the STEM disciplines, particularly in the mathematical sciences. Named in her honor, the Falconer Scholar-in-Residence is a female scholar of color who has shown a commitment to increasing gender and racial equity in STEM.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Collaborates with a Spelman Natural Sciences and Mathematics
(NSM) faculty member(s) on research in an area aligned with a
Department of Defense (DoD) Modernization Priority;
• Delivers some combination of lectures, interdisciplinary workshops, and/or masterclasses to share her expertise with students, faculty, and the general public;
• Serves as an undergraduate research mentor for up to four students in her host department. The COE-MWS, in collaboration with the host department, will assist in identifying and selecting students.
• Shares ideas about curricular development with her host department, as well as seek opportunities to guest lecture in existing courses;
• Focuses solely on her role as the Falconer Scholar-in-Residence, and will not engage in paid activities (e.g., teaching or consulting) concurrent with their term as a Scholar unless approved by the COE-MWS leadership;
• Attends department and Spelman-wide seminars/colloquia and events and be an active and visible member of the Spelman faculty community.
PhD or other comparable terminal graduate or professional degree required. Must have an established record of research aligned to a Department of Defense Modernization Priority (e.g. artificial intelligence, machine learning, cybersecurity, biotechnology, quantum science, etc.). Must possess an established record of a commitment to gender and racial equity in STEM.
This position is highly visible and requires strong customer service focus, excellent written, verbal and time management skills. Professional demeanor and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interface with internal and external constituents with diplomacy and tact is essential. Independent judgment is necessary to plan, prioritize and organize and develop programming. A successful candidate would require minimal on-boarding and supervision.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the ability to perform intermediate skills using Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint). In addition to producing correspondence, memos, and emails, duties may involve assignments that require creating proposals, spreadsheets with formulas, PowerPoint presentations, and the use of Outlook (or similar system), Banner Financial Module, and Internet navigation.
Background or experience in a STEM field (e.g., computer science, mathematics, data science/analytics) highly desired.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to: walk, talk, hear, sit, and operate computer and other office equipment. The employee is frequently required to: reach with hands and arms, and occasionally required to: climb, and lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
All applications must be submitted using the online application system. The deadline for submission is May 15, 2021. Please be prepared to provide the following:
• Cover letter, to include:
o How your work has been significant in your field and how it aligns to the Department of Defense Modernization Priorities;
o How you have promoted gender and racial equity through your scholarship, teaching, and/or mentoring;
o Discussion of how your engagement with students at Spelman College could be effective in developing them personally and professionally;
o What research project(s) you will work on during your residency at Spelman College, if selected; and
o How you would like to engage with your host department, students, and the community during your residency.
• Full curriculum vitae (CV), to include:
o Educational and professional experience and a comprehensive list of publications or other significant contributions to your field (technical reports, product development documentation, etc.); and
o Any significant professional service such as boards or key committees, as well as thesis and dissertation committee service.
• Professional references list, to include:
o Up to 3 individuals familiar with your research and/or commitment to gender and racial equity.
o List should include:
Current contact information
• Letter of support from a Spelman College Division of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (NSM) department or program faculty member.
Spelman College is an EEO/Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify. We are a smoke-free campus.
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits package. Qualified applicants should apply via this direct quick link: https://spelman.peopleadmin.com/postings/3485
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Chemistry & Biochemistry Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Computer Sciences & Technology Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Atlanta
- Engineering Administrative Competitive Full Time jobs in Atlanta