Dean, Turner College of Business
Dean, Turner College of Business
Job ID: 226397
Location: Columbus State University
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Founded in 1958, Columbus State University, with an enrollment of nearly 8,000, is part of the University System of Georgia. CSU offers more than 70 programs at the undergraduate and graduate levels and is ranked among the top public regional universities in the South by U.S. News & World Report. Columbus, located 100 miles southwest of Atlanta and the second-largest city in Georgia, is recognized as a vibrant and contemporary cultural community - https://visitcolumbusga.com.
Columbus State University has a nationally recognized track record of partnership and outreach through efforts such as the Cunningham Center for Leadership Development, Coca-Cola Space Science Center, Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center, and its own residence - the Spencer House - in Oxford, England. The University has two primary campus locations in Columbus, Georgia: the original campus on 150 acres in midtown Columbus and a beautiful campus in historic downtown Columbus overlooking the Chattahoochee River. The Columbus region, with more than 350,000 residents, is home to world-class enterprises such as Aflac, Synovus, W.C. Bradley Company, TSYS and Ft. Benning, the U.S. Army's Maneuver Center of Excellence headquarters. For additional information about the University visit our website at www.ColumbusState.edu.
Inclusion is one of Columbus State University's values. The 2018-2023 Strategic Plan specifically states that we will work “to attain a level of diversity among faculty and staff that more closely reflects the student population.” The range of diverse students at CSU is reflected by the diverse student organizations, including Collegiate 100 Men of CSU, Collegiate Women of Columbus State University, Minority Association of Premedical/Prehealth Students, Pride +, CHispA, and others.
Columbus State University seeks an innovative, visionary, and engaged leader to lead and build upon the existing strong foundation of undergraduate and graduate academic programs in the AACSB accredited D. Abbott Turner College of Business (TCOB). The College's business undergraduate and graduate programs include Marketing, Management, Management Information Systems, General Business, Accounting, and Finance. The TSYS School of Computer Science has undergraduate and graduate programs in Computer Science, Information Technology, Cybersecurity and Cybersecurity Management with concentrations that include Software Systems, Enterprise Computing, Game Programming, AI & Machine Learning. Being a college that includes both types of programs offers the successful candidate the opportunity to leverage synergies between technology and business to create innovative commercial initiatives.
A strong candidate for this position will have vision, creativity, and the ability to lead a dynamic organization with a track record for developing innovative programs, promoting active and engaged learning, and investing in faculty. The dean will be a champion for and committed to diversity, inclusion, and equity in the college that is evidenced across faculty, students, stakeholders and programs. The successful dean candidate will have a transparent and inclusive leadership style that invites engagement, information sharing, and who is welcoming of new ideas and constructive feedback.
The dean will be involved in critical decision making for the college, as well as serving as a cultivator of donor relationships, and partnerships within industry and our community. Working with the Turner College of Business Advisory Board, the Butler Center for Business and Economic Research, departmental advisory councils, and the Columbus State University Foundation Board, the dean will seek a strong connection to industry and guide the school to ensure strong programmatic alignment with the skills and knowledge for future oriented careers. The dean also serves as a member of the Deans' Council and Academic Council and reports directly to the Provost and Executive Vice President of Columbus State University.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides strategic leadership, guidance and supervision to the Turner College of Business through articulating and advocating the mission and goals of the Turner College of Business;
- Leads the Turner College of Business in meeting AACSB accreditation requirements with a focus on continuous improvement as well as the role of Assurance of Learning (AoL) processes in the development and implementation of curricula and programs;
- Engages effectively and collaboratively with senior university leadership, deans of the five colleges and the library, and pertinent community members locally, regionally, nationally, and internationally;
- Exhibits strong budgetary and financial decision making in the annual budget process and secures, oversees, and manages internal and external resources necessary to pursue the Turner College of Business' mission;
- Maintain the integrity and strategic development of the Turner College of Business' academic programs and research endeavors;
- Cultivates and manages strategic relationships with both internal and external constituents;
- Maintains currency with higher education and the fields represented in the Turner College of Business;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
REQUIRED ACADEMIC and PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- An earned terminal degree from an AACSB accredited college/school and experience sufficient to merit appointment, with tenure, at the rank of full professor in the Turner College of Business.
- A strong background, knowledge of, or experience in AACSB accreditation and requirements of AACSB Accredited institutions.
- Strong administrative and interpersonal skills and a collaborative management style with at least five (5) years of administrative experience at the chair/director level or above.
- Experience in cultivating relationships with stakeholders and sponsors for the college including fundraising and partnerships with industry and the broader community.
- Possess experience managing growth and change, the ability to resolve conflict and build consensus, and a willingness to advance opportunities that will have a positive impact on the Turner College of Business and Columbus State University (CSU).
- A demonstrated commitment to the welfare and success of all undergraduate and graduate students.
- A strong record of teaching, research, mentoring faculty and students, and university/professional service.
- A strong record in the efficient use of resources and evidence of creative approaches to garnering new resources, including external, governmental, and/or private funding agencies.
- A strong record of success in promoting and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A strong record of success in promoting and supporting active learning and engagement.
- A strong record of success in promoting student and faculty research and grant writing
Required Documents to Attach
Applications and Applications must include the following information:
- A letter of interest stating how the candidate‘s experience is applicable to the position, leadership priorities, qualifications, and characteristics expressed in the search profile;
- A statement of leadership philosophy;
- A curriculum vitae, and
- The names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of five professional references, including the candidate's professional relationship with each individual (References will not be contacted without the candidate's prior consent).
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to determine, develop, and achieve mission, vision, and goals and demonstrate results.
- An appreciation of the essential synergy between business and technology, given the unique situation of the TSYS School of Computer Science within the Turner College of Business.
- Excellent people leadership and project management skills.
- Excellent written and interpersonal communications skills.
- Strong analytical and highly developed organizational skills.
- Experience in managing and coaching employees at all levels.
- Knowledge of higher education organizational culture, policies and processes.
- Strategic planning skills.
- Ability to prioritize needs and demands.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and sound judgments.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and draw conclusions.
- Ability to perform complex tasks and to prioritize multiple projects.
- Ability to analyze and solve complex problems
For questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 706.507.8920 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Nominations should be submitted electronically to email@example.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Columbus State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, Committed to Diversity in Hiring.
Special Applicant Instructions
This position will be open until filled. Candidates who apply by May 17, 2021 will be given fullest consideration. The electronic version of the search profile is available on the Columbus State University Careers portal at columbusstate.edu/tcobdeansearch.
All applications and required documents must be submitted using Columbus State University's online employment site and a complete packet must be submitted for full consideration. Nominations should be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, visit https://careers.hprod.onehcm.usg.edu/psp/careers/CAREERS/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=30000&JobOpeningId=226397&PostingSeq=1