SMU-2105901-Administrative Assistant IV-Occupational Therapy (Oakland Campus)
To provide managerial and general office support to the department Chair. Provide support to Occupational Therapy (OT) faculty as directed by department Chair. Coordinate the activities, anticipate the needs of the program and recommend and initiate policies and procedures to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of the program and to implement the Chair’s decisions. Carries out requirements of position with an exceptional level of independence, requiring little to no direct supervision. Demonstrates a very high level of discretion and good judgment both in sensitive or confidential matters, as well as in decisions on when to consult Chair before taking action.
Job Duties and Accountabilities:
An Asterisk (*) denotes an “essential job function” for ADA purposes.
75% - Provide managerial and office support to the department chair, faculty, and students
Department, Chair, and Faculty Support:
- *Handle routine telephone and e-mail communication.
- *Open, identify, route and delegate or answer mail addressed to the program or to the Chair as needed.
- Maintain calendar for the Chair, as requested
- *Maintain master departmental schedule/calendar.
- *Initiate independent action relative to written communications including but not limited to memos, correspondence, requests for supplies, and forms.
- *Initiates Independent letters to accreditation agency to be forwarded to the Chair for review.
- *Attend and act as recorder at program meetings. Independently confirm with all OT faculty that action items have been completed, including Chair.
- *Manage program budget including generation of requests for disbursement, requisitions, purchase orders, and other such material as needed. Track and report to Chair any over-budget items.
- Assist faculty and students with reimbursement submissions as needed.
- *Develop, maintain and keep current program database and files for the director and OT faculty, including internal student files.
- *Initiate MOT course schedule and revise with all faculty input.
- *Liaison with college facilities personnel for scheduling of classrooms, meetings and related services, and college purchasing personnel in procuring and maintaining supplies and equipment for the program and distribution of supplies to appropriate faculty.
- *Will complete the on-line room scheduling for all classrooms and will work with faculty to resolve room scheduling preferences and problems.
- *Initiate, design, implement and coordinate all department administrative and extracurricular activities.
- Assist faculty with preparation of course materials.
- *Provide training to faculty on use of programs new to the faculty.
- *Fully manage all departmental duties during the summer months while the Department Chair is away. Will inform Department Chair of pressing matters and will collaborate in their completion.
- *Will work with the faculty of record for both on-campus clinics to secure materials needed (including parking tickets), communication with all clients as needed, and assure the smooth coordination of client care.
- *Assist in maintaining clean department spaces including office, entrance, conference room, and copy room.
- *Keeps copy room supplied of paper, toner, and other tools for faculty use.
- * Make all calls for repair or maintenance of copy room equipment.
- *Refer students as necessary to proper resources for identified problems
- *Respond to all applicant calls and e-mails to the department and direct calls as needed.
- *Interview, hire and manage all OT work-study students.
- Assist in management of any on-line or distance learning classes (as required by accreditation standards for the OTD program).
- *As directed by Chair, assist in compiling/researching information and statistics for program maintenance or growth (i.e. accreditation-related reporting)
- Manages work-study student(s)
5% - Fieldwork
- Assist Fieldwork Level I and II coordinators as directed by chair
10% - Interviews
- *Following the Interview Committee Chair’s recommendations for forms and scheduling, will prepare all needed materials for the interview dates, will invite all qualified applicants and communicate as needed with applicants and will organize and implement the entire applicant interview process for the OT Department, under the direction of the Interview Committee Chair, Admissions representative and the Chair of OT. Liaison with Office of Admissions department to support admissions as needed.
- *Assist faculty search committees with interview process for potential faculty by arranging interviews, preparation of packets for committees, coordination of presentation by applicant, via preparation and distribution of materials, make room arrangements and/or setup digital meetings.
10% - Other duties as assigned
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to carry out instructions
- Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations, including fractions, decimals and percentages
- Ability to read and produce memos and correspondence in a clear concise manner
- Ability to organize and prioritize work load
- Ability to complete work/project in a busy work environment
- Excellent communication skills and ability to effectively and quickly organize thoughts and communicate clearly with faculty, students and public
- Skilled in typing and word processing
- Extensive computer experience on Windows platform with Word, Excel, Access and other related software
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma required, Bachelor's degree preferred
- Minimum of three years of experience as administrative support in a fast-paced, multi-task environment requiring a high degree of accuracy and independent activity, preferred
- Ability to lift twenty pounds, carry, push, pull, kneel, stoop, bend, climb stairs and stand
- Ability to accomplish office tasks - make copies, travel on campus for departmental events and support, file, mail documents, assist with events set up and oversight, and other office work
- Ability to exchange information with faculty, staff, students, and public
The University has an institution-wide commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. We strive to build a welcoming and supportive campus environment, and acknowledge that diversity is an educational imperative to achieve excellence.