Manager, Transportation/Vehicle Operations & Repair (Fleet) #605345
The Manager, Transportation/Vehicle Operations & Repair manages a large department that is composed of multiple components performing strategic planning, program development, budget management and supervision of staff. Performs work of considerable difficulty in the management, planning and development of activities for all units or departments. Develops, plans, and implements departmental goals and objectives.
This position will supervise numerous tiers of employees that include Fleet Services Specialist and student employees. The Manager may also cover for any absences of the Assistant Director to include fiscal, employee, payroll, and business responsibilities that affect the University customer experience. Monitoring & development of programs that have fiscal ramifications, and customer services responsibilities are a requirement of this position. Considerable time will be spent in the management of three separate business units to include to motor pool, long term lease, and fuel operations. Additional responsibilities include accident repair, and vehicle maintenance programs that insure the safety of all campus vehicles at varying levels with direct responsibility of our managed vehicle pool. This position will also interact, execute, and plan under the direction of the Assistant Director of Fleet Services, and consistently interact with the Manager of Fleet Maintenance. Requirements extend to the development of departmental KPI’s, and performance evaluations to all direct reports.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Ability to manage multiple business units that include Motor Pool, Long Term Leasing, and Fuel Operations.
- Understanding of vehicle maintenance principles, ability to coordinate maintenance, damage & repairs for a large fleet.
- Management of a daily/weekly rental fleet that services all University business statewide.
- Understanding of Long Term Lease rentals to include maintenance, contracts, and vehicle rotation best practices.
Supervises / training students in the following:
- Organize daily dispatches/resolve issues/clean as needed.
- Supervise students for correct TMA input on ET’s, both outside rentals.
- Supervises students to review LOF inventory of fleet, coordination of schedules with maintenance student workers.
- All aspects of outside rental processes from reservation, recording, and submission for payment.
- Knowledge or ability to learn advanced skills within TMA database.
- Charge users for all managed accounts to include, VR’s, ET’s, and Fuel Tickets (shared).
- Ability to develop check & balance systems that insure accurate billing to all customer accounts.
- Understanding of TMA database work orders, search functions, reports as needed.
- Coordinates university rental vehicle requests.
- Coordinates outside repair on non-damaged Fleet vehicles.
- Manages the design and preparation of forms used by TSC.
- Recommends & participates in the design of computer needs.
- Assists with fuel dispensing systems.
- Serves as a customer liaison for TSC motor pool.
- Monitor the activities & production of subordinates.
Supervises trained senior students in all aspects of fuel operations:
- Downloading and uploading with fuel management (TRAK) / Web to TMA in a multi week format of all dispensed fuel.
- Update fuel prices based on fuel deliveries.
Maintains University fuel island operation including:
- Verifying fuel tank levels –as required.
- Ordering fuel (knowledge of seasonal requirements) reconciliation of tank level, order size, and best practices.
- Reconciliation of all transactions, invoicing, familiar with ADEQ regulatory requirements.
- Familiar with fuel monitoring systems & practices, fuel management software, including fuel transactions (1000+ per month), and fuel tank monitors.
President travel Coordination:
- University Transit contact for scheduling vehicles and Presidents vehicle pickup/return.
Damage Repair Coordination (300+ vehicles):
- Vendor Liaison with University vendors.
- Informs customers of DR’s needed and instructs on DR submission (shared).
- Schedules repair and transportation to/from body shops for repair.
- Verify and review all Damage Repair invoices for Fleet Services Fleet and Garage fleet for accuracy.
Outside Rental Vendor Liaison in charge of all aspects of outside vendor usage to include:
- Ordering vehicles (shared).
- Disputing incorrect charges with vendor, responsible for accurate invoicing from reservation thru submission for payment.
- Familiar with best business practices, enforcement & contractual obligation.
- Review and approve time sheets for FTE’s, student workers, verification of any OT hours recorded.
- Tasks in this category require a moderate/advanced background in business mathematics and practices.
- Must hold excellent knowledge of policies governing use of state vehicles.
- Must have moderate/advanced knowledge of accounts receivable/payable processes.
- Must have moderate/advanced accounting/mathematical skills.
- Maintain excellent skills in problem resolution.
- Manages & assists in controlling departmental costs.
- Reviews monthly billing statements (Budget, Enterprise and National Car Rental).
- Assists in inputting daily customer billing (VR’s and ET’s).
- Reconciles customer travel accounts as needed.
- Tasks in this category require good mechanical awareness and drivability skills.
- Ensures that no vehicle is dispatched knowing a defect or mechanical concern is present.
- Prepares daily and monthly dispatch logs.
- Assists in preparation of vehicle specifications and replacement needs.
- Makes recommendations to Assistant Director on how to improve dispatch operations and forms utilized.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license at all times. (See Minimum Req)
- Wash vehicles as needed.
- Assist in cleaning shop & warehouse.
- Must use proper PPE at all times in shop.
- Attend meetings and discussion with various university departments.
- On Call 24/7 After Hours emergency calls (Shared).
- High school degree, AND
- 1-2 years of management or supervisory experience AND,
- 2-4 years of relevant experience.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license at all times.
- A combination of related education, experience, and training may be used.
- Bachelor's degree in a field appropriate to the area of assignment and three years' supervision and administrative/coordinative program experience; OR,
- Five years' supervision and administrative/coordinative program experience; OR,
- Fleet operations experience in long term lease, short term rentals and fuel operations.
- Experience in organizational skills.
- Experience in communication skills, with an emphasis in training.
- Supervision experience with diverse employee groups, ability to direct, train & coach student employees.
- TMA experience.
- PeopleSoft experience.
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please click on the "Apply" button on this page. You must submit your application by clicking on the "Submit" button by midnight of the application deadline. If you need assistance completing your application there are instructions available on the Human Resources website or in person in the Human Resources Department located in Building 91 on the NAU Campus - on the corner of Beaver and DuPont Streets.
If you are an individual with a disability and need reasonable accommodation to participate in the hiring process please contact the Office of Equity and Access at: 928-523-3312/TDD - 928-523-1006 or PO Box 4083, Flagstaff AZ 86011.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Northern Arizona University is a committed Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. Women, minorities, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. NAU is responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
EEO is the Law Poster and Supplements
NAU is an Employer of National Service. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service alumni are encouraged to apply.