DE Assistant Dean of General Education
At Unity, sustainability isn’t a buzzword. It’s the foundation of our entire approach and has been for more than 50 years.
We apply sustainability principles to everything we do, from our properties around the State of Maine, to our online degrees offered to students everywhere, to our enrichment experiences and entrepreneurial endeavors at locations from northern Maine to Arizona to Brazil.
Engage with Unity College and you’ll start to ask tough questions, challenge the status quo, and envision new possibilities. If taking the lead in creating a more sustainable future sounds like the future you want, we can make it happen.
The Assistant Dean assists the Dean in providing leadership in the Distance Education general education curriculum, which includes the Environmental Professional Core, and in their area of expertise. Distance Education Deans are expected to recruit students to programs, hire, train, and supervise faculty, assess programs, provide student support, career advice and mentoring, market programs, and develop new audiences/partnerships for programs. All Distance Education Faculty teach, oversee program viability and relevance, recruit for programs, conduct scholarship, advise students, mentor capstone projects, and provide other services as needed.
Faculty conduct all teaching through the institutions LMS, implement appropriate pedagogical techniques for the online environment, and provide course materials in a professional, appropriate, clear, and rigorous manner. This position works closely with the Dean of General Education and Environmental Studies.
- Oversee hiring and supervision of qualified general education course instructors; responsible for helping Dean maintain general education program integrity, including any accreditation requirements.
- Professionally represent Unity College Distance Education through scholarship, outreach, and professional platforms.
- Develop and deliver general education curriculum as assigned.
- Be knowledgeable in the appropriate delivery of the content in an online format.
- Teach up to 240 student contact hours per calendar year as assigned.
Please see the full job description attached for a comprehensive list of essential duties.
The ideal candidate will possess a PhD in Environmental Studies, Environmental Humanities, or other equivalent degree.
- The Assistant Dean will have leadership experience in higher education, teaching, and assessment. Experience teaching online courses in an adult market is preferred.
- Candidates must have strong oral and written communication skills, including facility with technical terminology appropriate to the position.
- Excellent initiative, time management and organizational skills with ability to work both autonomously and in a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability and willingness to work with students from diverse political/socioeconomic backgrounds and a wide range of physical and academic abilities.
- Good skills in word processing, spreadsheets and computerized database systems.
- Personal commitment to the environmental focus and mission of the college.
Unity College has its Hybrid Learning campus in Unity, Maine. As our distance education team rapidly grows, we have also acquired space at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, Maine where our enterprise and distance education teams will be located. This position will be located at 49 Farm View Drive, New Gloucester, Maine.
Unity College offers a generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, short term disability, long term disability, life insurance, PTO, and a company match on our 403b retirement plan. Waiting periods will apply.
Interested and qualified candidates should click on the “Apply Now” button and submit a resume and cover letter.
At Unity College, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our students, and our community. Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative