IT Systems Engineer
At Unity, sustainability isn’t a buzzword. It’s the foundation of our entire approach and has been for more than 50 years.
We apply sustainability principles to everything we do, from our properties around the State of Maine, to our online degrees offered to students everywhere, to our enrichment experiences and entrepreneurial endeavors at locations from northern Maine to Arizona to Brazil.
Engage with Unity College and you’ll start to ask tough questions, challenge the status quo, and envision new possibilities. If taking the lead in creating a more sustainable future sounds like the future you want, we can make it happen.
Reporting to the Director of Information Technology, and working closely with the Systems Administrator, the IT Systems Engineer is responsible for the effective and timely design, provisioning, implementation, administration/management, monitoring, and security of hosted and local server, network, storage, voice/video and POS systems of the College. The IT Systems Engineer will be responsible for enterprise-wide authentication / directory systems, including Active Directory, single sign-on and network level authentication solutions and associated applications and systems. The IT Systems Engineer is a team player with a keen eye for detail and great problem-solving and troubleshooting skills. The IT Systems Engineer will participate in design meetings and consult with internal clients to design, deploy and support complex IT solutions to meet business needs and may interact with third party partners in the achievement of business and technology initiatives.
Please see the attached job description for a full list of essential responsibilities.
The ideal candidate will possess a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline, or the equivalent combination of education, technical training, or work experience. Must be well versed in both technology and business process perspectives.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience, including focused responsibility for deployment and maintenance of enterprise class hardware, Microsoft server and client operating systems and related enterprise applications, services and protocols, including integrations with 3rd party COTS and custom developed applications within an enterprise environment.
- Knowledge of standard IT concepts, best practices, policies and procedures, including capacity management, performance and change management, fault management, routine maintenance and configuration management.
- Experience designing, implementing and managing Windows Active Directory domains, sites, users, groups, policies, replication topology, and schema, logons scripts and profiles.
- Experience deploying and managing network services such as Exchange, SharePoint, SQL, IIS, DNS, DHCP, RDP, VoIP, VPN, SSL certificates, anti-virus, backup and recovery, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to implement and manage a variety of standard network architectures, topologies and protocols, including TCP/IP, Ethernet, 802.11 wireless, 802.1X / RADIUS authentication, etc.
- Experience implementing and managing enterprise server hardware including SAN and/or NAS storage arrays and server virtualization solutions (Hyper-V preferred.)
- Knowledge of one or more industry standard scripting languages (VB Script, Powershell, etc) and the ability to leverage that knowledge in developing custom script solutions.
- Working knowledge of Linux and Mac OS systems, including interoperability with Windows.
- Ability to understand and comply with relevant department and/or College policies, procedures and guidelines as they pertain to data and information technology services.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, effectively communicate regarding, and implement solutions for complex system problems with a sense of urgency.
Unity College has its Hybrid Learning campus in Unity, Maine. As our distance education team rapidly grows, we have also acquired space at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, Maine where our enterprise and distance education teams will be located. This position will be located at 49 Farm View Drive, New Gloucester, Maine.
Unity College offers a generous benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, short term disability, long term disability, life insurance, PTO, and a company match on our 403b retirement plan. Waiting periods will apply.
Interested and qualified candidates should click on the “Apply Now” button and submit a resume and cover letter.
At Unity College, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our students, and our community. Unity College is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.