Executive Dean-Urban Agriculture
EXECUTIVE DEAN - URBAN AGRICULTURE
Olive-Harvey (OH) College is developing an Urban Agriculture Department to serve as Chicago’s leading partner for cannabis and urban agriculture education and a gateway to careers in the cannabis industry. Plans include establishing a Cannabis Research Institute to serve as a hub for cannabis product research in partnership with area universities and completion of a campus greenhouse with a cultivation lab to provide a broader workplace training platform and to support equitable industry access and community mobility through education.
OH’s Cannabis Studies program provides a Cannabis Dispensary Operations certificate program as well as continuing education/professional development courses relating to the business and economic side of the cannabis industry.
Reporting to the Vice President of Academic Affairs, theExecutive Dean of Urban Agricultureworks collaboratively with faculty, staff and key stakeholders to create an environment of academic excellence, professionalism and teamwork that fosters student success and collaboration.
TheExecutive Dean of Urban Agricultureprovides vision, leadership and management in key areas to include:
- Developing academic programs and instruction offered through the Urban Agriculture Department;
- Developing vocational, certificate programs and continuing education courses in collaboration with advisory councils to educate and prepare students for careers in the growing cannabis industry;
- Partnering with regional employers to develop work training opportunities, as well as pathways to employment;
- Creating a Cannabis Research and Training Institute and facilitating partnerships with 4-year universities for clinical research opportunities;
- Managing social equity inclusion plan donations and fundraising activities in relation to the Cannabis Regulation and Tax Act, Bill 1438; and
- Enterprise opportunities to produce, extract and sell CBD oil to partner research universities
- Partners with faculty and college administrators to develop academic programs and courses in urban agriculture, agribusiness, science and technology leading to degree completion and transfer pathways to four-year universities.
- Provides direction in the development of curriculum, labs and operations for vocational training programs, including the college’s Cannabis Dispensary Operations Program, and continuing education courses supporting the cannabis industry.
- Ensures integrability and compliance with district policies, state and federal laws and legal requirements and compliance with Higher Learning Commission (HLC) accreditation program procedures and policies.
- Meets with the Cannabis Advisory and the Industrial Hemp Advisory Councils. Recruits industry employers and community members to council(s), and develops partnerships to obtain guidance on curriculum development and equipment to ensure programs align with industry workforce needs and best practices.
- Supervises Program Director accountable for community programming and managing social equity initiatives.
- Implements best practices to ensure future program growth.
- Oversees and participates in the interviewing and selection of vocational instructors, training specialists and support staff.
- Works with college administrators and staff to establish performance measures in key areas including curriculum development, enrollment and retention efforts, career planning and placement, and related academic support areas.
- Develops and implements strategies to assess effectiveness of academic programs and quality of instruction. Ensures student learning outcomes are aligned with the needs of industry partners and CRI enterprises.
- Develops and monitors operating budgets and determines staffing needs for the Cannabis Research Institute and training programs.
- Monitors staff accountability for standard business practices involving purchasing of training program(s) equipment, materials and supplies.
- Ensures teaching facilities are appropriately maintained and makes recommendations for needed repairs and updates. Supports the acquisition and implementation of appropriate new technologies.
- Works collaboratively with Marketing Department and support staff on external and internal program marketing, community outreach, and sales promotion activities.
- Works with managers/ supervisors to address and resolve complaints or problems involving level and quality of services provided in any of the Urban Agriculture programs.
- Reviews operational and revenue reports for individual operating units and prepares management reports on financial status of units including cost/profit analysis and profitability of operations.
- A Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Business Administration, Education or a related field
- Five years of management experience with a track record of progressive responsibility, preferably in the areas of agricultural, a science field, or cannabis industry
- Experience in program and budget management operations
- Knowledge of Illinois cannabis laws and regulations
- Familiarity with dispensary/cultivation operations
- Must be self-directed and innovative, able to assess current operations and implement changes for continuous improvement of department operations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work within a culturally diverse environment
- Strong background in building teams and working across departments to deliver on outcomes.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships within and outside the organization
- Ability to exercise tact and diplomacy in handling sensitive situations
WE OFFER : Excellent benefits include Full health benefits, retirement plan, investment plans, paid vacation/holidays and tuition reimbursement. For more detailed overview of benefits please visit our benefits page.
Chicago residency is required for all full-time employees within 6 months of hire.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
Thank you for your interest in City Colleges of Chicago!
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Agriculture & Animal Sciences Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Administrative Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago
- Business & Administrative Affairs Executive Not specified Full Time jobs in Chicago