Part-time Instructor of Aviation
Posting Number: 06001841 Position Title: Part-time Instructor of Aviation Posting Date: Closing Date: Open Until Filled (notes): POOL posting Length of Position: Contracts are on a term-by-term basis Anticipated Start Date:
Position Type/Employee Class: Part-Time Instructor FTE: Salary Level: Part Time Instructor Starting Pay Range $616 per load unit (1 LU ~= 1 class credit) as per PT Salary Schedule, Step 1 Hours per Week: Depending on class schedule Work Schedule: Depending on class schedule Days of the Week: Mon-Fri typically Job Summary/Purpose:
PRIMARY PURPOSE : To provide instruction in Aviation. Part-time instructors direct student discussion and evaluate student performance in the classroom.
• This is a part-time (< .50 FTE ) non-benefited position, hired on a term-by-term basis. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty compensation begins at Step 1 / $616 per load unit (LU). Load Unit is equivalent to class credit; and shall include both teaching and other assignments.
• Part-Time Faculty positions are not represented by the Faculty Forum Collective Bargaining Agreement.
• May include travel throughout the College district.
• Official transcripts are required upon hire. Applicants anticipating Degree completion must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
• COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at the time their work is being performed.
• The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United States to be considered for this position.
• Upon hire, must pass criminal background check and/or driving history; only information relevant to the position will be considered.
1. Provide instruction in aviation subjects. This includes lecturing and guiding in classroom activities, providing individual conference time to guide and evaluate student progress. Teaching assignments may include courses taught during the day and/or evening, delivered in-person (as conditions allow) or online, synchronously, or asynchronously.
2. Utilize resources, including technological resources such as a Learning Management System, to support teaching activities as appropriate.
3. Participate in collaborative efforts related to curriculum development and the evaluation of courses and academic programs.
4. Perform other essential duties and tasks specific, as assigned.
Marginal Job Functions
1. Cooperate with other College personnel to assist students with career planning, and follow-up studies.
2. Act as a resource person for students.
3. Work within the Aviation Program to write proposals for curriculum changes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Individuals must possess these knowledge, skills and abilities or be able to explain and demonstrate that the individual can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
1. Thorough knowledge in the field of aviation.
2. Knowledge of teaching and instruction of various audiences and group dynamics.
3. Visual ability, corrected, to enable instructor to observe, direct, and supervise students in classroom situations.
4. Familiarity with and ability to operate or oversee the operation of audio-visual equipment, including overhead projectors, film, sound systems, video, television, interactive video and audio equipment including computer controlled mixed media presentations.
5. Ability to operate or oversee the operation of computers, and other written materials.
6. Ability to orally communicate effectively with others, using the English language, with or without the use of an interpreter.
7. Ability to communicate effectively in writing, using the English language, with or without the use of auxiliary aids or services.
8. Ability to review, understand and apply concepts presented in training programs, conferences, and/or professional literature.
9. Ability to work with aviation faculty and other COCC staffs at all levels.
10. Willingness to teach at various hours and campus locations, as required.
11. Ability to work effectively and sensitively with constituents from diverse cultural backgrounds and perspectives.
Physical Demands and Other Ergonomic Requirements:
The ability to work in classroom and office environments using computers, white boards, projectors, and other basic office equipment. All individuals are required to be able to perform the essential functions with or without reasonable accommodation.
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Statement
It is the policy of Central Oregon Community College that there will be no discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, disability, sex, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, citizenship status, veteran status, or any of the classes protected under Federal and State statutes in any education program, activities, or employment. Persons having questions about equal opportunity and nondiscrimination should contact the Equal Employment Officer, c/o COCC’s Human Resources office, 541.383.7216.
In support of COCC’s EEO statement, employees with bilingual fluency in English and Spanish is considered a plus, along with experience working in a diverse multicultural setting.
1. Bachelor’s degree required.
2. Current FAA certified flight instructor certificate ( CFI ) required.
3. Evidence of excellence, or promise of excellence, in instruction.
4. Computer Literacy: Training in, or experience with, email, internet, word processing, and presentation applications.
The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants who do not meet minimum qualifications but present other qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be considered and are encouraged to apply. To qualify under equivalency, applicants must indicate how they qualify under equivalency by responding to the supplemental question presented during the application process.
1. Master’s degree in Aviation.
2. FAA Certified Flight Instructor ( CFI ) with instrument ( CFII ) and multiengine ( MEI ) ratings preferred.
3. Current FAA medical certificate preferred.
4. 100 hours of flight and/or simulator time within the past 12 months preferred.
5. Current FAA flight review preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Part-time instructor pools are posted for the academic year to obtain applications from those interested in teaching part-time as a non-benefited instructor, on a term-by-term basis. Positions may not necessarily be available at the time you apply. Your online application will remain active for consideration throughout the length of the posting unless you are notified otherwise.
COCC is not able to support work visas for this position. Candidates must be able to work in the United States at time of employment.
Note that you will be required to upload/create the required documents indicated in this posting at the time you apply. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable at application. It is the responsibility of the applicant to upload all required documents, including transcript(s). If you have questions please contact HR at 541-383-7216.
Is a Criminal History Check required? Yes Is a Credit History Check Required? No Open Until Filled Yes Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Choose your highest level of education:
- No High School Diploma or GED
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree in Progress
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree in Progress
- Masters Degree
- Ph.D. in Progress
- Other Doctorate Level Degree
- * How many years of COLLEGE LEVEL teaching experience do you
- Less than 1 year
- 1-2 years
- 2-3 years
- 3 years
- More than 3 years
- * Do you have a current FAA certified flight instructor
- * Please describe how you meet the minimum requirement of
training in or experience with email, internet, word processing and
(Open Ended Question)
- * COCC has campuses in Bend, Prineville, Redmond, and Madras.
Please indicate in which locations you are willing to teach.
(Open Ended Question)
- * COCC employees must work and reside in the state of Oregon at
the time their work is being performed. Are you, or will you be
residing in the state of Oregon by the start date of this position?
- * The College is NOT able to support Visa applications for this
position. Applicants must already be eligible to work in the United
States to be considered for this position. Are you, or will you be
eligible to work in the US by the start date of the position?
- The College recognizes the value of skills and knowledge gained
outside of formal higher education and paid employment. Applicants
who do not meet minimum qualifications, but present other
qualifications or experience equivalent to those required will be
considered and are encouraged to apply. There may be other
requirements where an equivalency is acceptable. Please be aware
that applicants who do not meet the minimum requirements and do not
provide an equivalency statement will not be selected for an
interview. Your statement should make clear the requirement you are
addressing. Example: The position requires a Master’s degree. You
have a Bachelor’s degree, additional applicable education, and work
experience that when combined you believe is equivalent to the
Master’s degree requirement. Please provide a clear statement why
you believe this combined education and experience is equivalent to
a Master’s degree.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you a U.S. military veteran? (COCC provides qualifying
veterans and disabled veterans with preference in employment. To
receive veterans’ preference in this recruitment process, you must
upload your DD214 and DD215 (if applicable) form(s) as supporting
documentation. You will have the opportunity to upload the document
in the next step of this application process.)
- Yes, I am a veteran
- No, I am not a veteran
- If you have identified yourself as a qualified veteran or
disabled veteran by submitting your DD214 and DD215 (if applicable)
form(s) as proof of veteran status, please describe any
transferable skills earned during your military service that you
feel relate to the requirements/preferences of this position.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Background checks are required for all employees of COCC.
Should an offer of employment be made to you and accepted by you,
you will receive an email from COCC / HireRight Screening
requesting your consent and basic information to complete the
check. The offer of employment will be conditional upon
satisfactory completion of the criminal background check. Confirmed
findings on a criminal background check will not automatically
disqualify you from being hired into a position. Results are
evaluated on a case-by-case basis, considering the job
responsibilities and other risk factors. Additional information
regarding COCC’s criminal history check policy can be found online
in the General Procedures Manual, Section HR-2-1. Please indicate
here if you will provide consent to the criminal history check when
requested by the College:
- Yes, I will provide my consent when requested
- No, I will not provide my consent when requested
- Cover Letter
- College Transcript 1 (unofficial)
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- College Transcript 2 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 3 (unofficial)
- College Transcript 4 (unofficial)
- US Military DD 214
- Other Document 1
- Other Document 2
- Other Document 3
- Other Document 4
- Other Document 5
- Teaching Philosophy/Evidence of Teaching Potential
- Placement File, if applicable