Pre-College Coach - Admissions - EXTENDED DEADLINE - 17095
The Department of Admissions at the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater seeks two Pre-College Coaches (ASSOC STU SERV COORD).
This is an annual position and reappointment for subsequent terms is dependent upon needs of the position, university funding and external forces.
UW-Whitewater is seeking candidates for a University of Wisconsin System (UWS) pilot project to help increase college admission and college attendance of underrepresented minority (URM) and first-generation students into the University of Wisconsin – System. Pre-College Coaches will be home-based at designated rural or urban high school locations. The Pre-College Coach will work closely with local high school personnel, students, student families, and community-based organizations, to support students navigating academic paths and encouraging application to and attendance at UW System schools.
The Pre-College Coach assists prospective students in navigating the college selection process while helping to remove barriers to obtain post-secondary education while still in high school. This is a 12-month, full-time position that reports to the Director of Admissions, and will be responsible for working with high school students to add additional support to area high schools in a case manager approach. Coaches will have a case load of students to work with individually and collectively. This case load includes the families of the students as well. This position will establish and maintain relationships with prospective students, parents, and high school counselors. The Pre-College Coach will present information to high school students during scheduled daily presentations, will assist during campus open house events and will perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Admissions. Domestic travel is required.
- Earned Bachelor’s degree
- Valid driver’s license (or ability to obtain a valid driver’s license)
- Strong written communication and public speaking skills
- Demonstrated skill in working with populations having diverse socio-economic and racial backgrounds
- Strong customer service and case management experience
- Strong organizational and event planning skills
- Professional experience working with students and/or individuals from diverse backgrounds
- One-year experience in admissions, recruitment, higher education, or marketing related field
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to establish positive relationships with students, staff and faculty
- Bilingual in Spanish with the ability to speak, read, write and translate between Spanish and English
- Ability to convey the value of a university education and the University of Wisconsin System
- Willingness and ability to be an active participant in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills
- Ability to interact respectfully with people from diverse socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
The following examples of duties and responsibilities illustrate the general range of tasks assigned to the position, but are not intended to define the limits of required duties. Other essential duties may be assigned consistent with the general scope of the position.
- Market, recruit and provide customer support to prospects and applicants through face-to-face interactions, small and large group presentations, educational fairs, telephone and email inquiries, and high school visits. This includes extensive travel primarily in Wisconsin.
- Build relationships and coordinate recruiting activities with targeted community organizations and school districts. Cultivate relationships with community partners.
- Establish working relationships with high school counselors in assigned regions.
- Coordinate prospective student programming to further develop the commitment to UWW.
- The Pre-College Coaches will work directly under the supervision of UW-Whitewater.
- Serve as point of contact for prospective students, assist with navigating career paths and encouraging application to UW System schools in order to contribute to the system goal of increasing URM high school enrollment starting in 2021.
- In collaboration with UWS stakeholders, High School Stakeholders and Community Partners to provide career and post-secondary educational programing and planning services for prospective students. Ensure consistency with messaging.
- Work in collaboration with local staff (campus partners, school counselors, instructors, administrators, dual credit teachers, parents, and regional campus staff) to assist students in career decision-making.
- Provide comprehensive college information to students regarding programs and admissions processes/requirements at UW System schools, financial aid, and other services, making referrals when appropriate.
- Participate in recruitment activities (special events, open houses, parent teacher conferences, campus tours, etc.) when appropriate. Help with K-12 events, assist with coordination and implementation of activities.
- Stay current on UW System admission guidelines, programs, continuing education opportunities for students, and trends in student recruitment and advisement.
- Compile and create reports, with monthly interim progress milestones and final details as determined.
- Meet regularly (weekly, biweekly, monthly) with project teams
- Perform additional duties as requested.
- Assist and monitor student application processing and data entry.
- Be familiar with university policies and procedures, especially Housing, Financial Aid, First Year Experience, Center for Students with Disabilities, and Student Diversity Engagement and Success to communicate effectively with students and families.
- Participate in professional organizations, conferences and workshops when appropriate.
- Additional duties as prescribed by the Director of Admissions or SDES.
Founded in 1868, UW–Whitewater is one of eleven comprehensive universities in a public higher education system that also includes two doctoral institutions and a statewide Extension. In the fall of 2018, as a result of the University of Wisconsin System’s restructuring of the state’s 13 two-year campuses formerly known as UW Colleges, UW–Rock County began operating as a branch campus of UW–Whitewater under the new name of University of Wisconsin–Whitewater at Rock County. Together, these campuses form a preeminent academic institution driven by the pursuit of knowledge, powered by a spirit of innovation, and focused on transforming lives. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Main Campus and Rock County Campus are located conveniently near Milwaukee, Madison, and Chicago, and thus offers the advantage of beautiful small-town environments with easy access to the cultural and commercial opportunities of major metropolitan areas.
The Warhawk family — led by caring faculty and staff — is devoted to student success within a broad range of academic programs. UW-Whitewater has a special mission within the UW System to serve students with disabilities and, as such, embraces the principles of universal design and is one of the most accessible campuses in the state. The campuses have more than 200 student organizations and UW-Whitewater is a Division III NCAA university. UW-Whitewater is committed to seeking and sustaining a culturally and ethnically diverse campus environment, building a diverse faculty and staff with expertise and interest in serving students with diverse needs, backgrounds, ethnicities, abilities and other distinct characteristics in respectful, sensitive and understanding ways. The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, and actively seeks and encourages applications from women, people of color, persons with disabilities, and veterans.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater is part of the 13-campus University of Wisconsin System ( https://www.wisconsin.edu ).
Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(b) provides that applicants may indicate in writing that their identity should be kept confidential. In response to a public records request, the University will not reveal the identities of applicants who request confidentiality in writing, except that the identity of the successful final candidate will be released. See Wisconsin Statute 19.36(7)(a).
Per Regent Policy Document 20-19, University of Wisconsin System Criminal Background Check Policy and UW System Administrative Policy 1275 Recruitment Policies, UW-Whitewater requires criminal background checks as a contingency to employment. A criminal background check will be conducted prior to an offer of employment. All final candidates must be asked, prior to hire, whether they have been found to have engaged in, are currently under investigation for, or left employment during an active investigation in which they were accused of sexual violence or sexual harassment. When obtaining employment reference checks, these same sexual violence or sexual harassment questions must also be asked.
The University of Wisconsin-Whitewater requires that all employees be active participants in following applicable safety rules and regulations including necessary training and drills.
For UW-Whitewater Campus safety information and crime statistics/annual Security Report, see http://www.uww.edu/asfr . If you would like a paper copy of the report please contact the UW-Whitewater Police at 262-472-4660.
To learn more about UW-Whitewater's competitive benefits packages go to our: ALEX webpage, which is our interactive benefits decision support tool.
UW-Whitewater embraces AAC&U’s LEAP principles ( http://www.uww.edu/leap ) and emphasizes student, staff and faculty participation in High-Impact Practices ( https://www.aacu.org/resources/high-impact-practices ). The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs ( http://www.uww.edu/orsp ) provides support for faculty scholarly and creative activities as well as other opportunities to apply for reassigned time and/or other resources to support research activities. UW-Whitewater faculty and staff also have access to technology transfer and research resources provided by WiSys ( https://www.wisys.org ).
CONDITIONS OF APPOINTMENT:
University of Wisconsin-Whitewater does not offer H-1B or other work authorization visa sponsorship for this position. Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States at the time of hire and maintain work authorization throughout the employment term. If you have questions regarding this, please contact Human Resources.
The University of Wisconsin System is engaged in a Title and Total Compensation (TTC) project to redesign job titles and compensation structures. As a result of the TTC project, official job titles on current job postings is targeted to be implemented mid-2021. Job duties and responsibilities will remain the same. For more information please visit: https://www.wisconsin.edu/ohrwd/title-and-total-compensation-study/
The University of Wisconsin - Whitewater has the authority to implement temporary workforce reduction and cost saving measures to address financial challenges resulting from the COVID-19 Crisis, consistent with Wisconsin law and Board of Regents, UW System, and UW-Whitewater policy and procedure.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION:
Applications received by May 2, 2021 are ensured full consideration and the position will remain open until filled. The most qualified applicants will be invited to participate in the next step of the selection process.
If you have questions regarding this recruitment or if you are unable to complete the application online due to a disability or system problem, please contact us at (262) 472-1072 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
For questions regarding this position, please contact:
Talent Acquisition Coordinator
Only complete application packages will be considered. This includes online submission of the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Name and contact information for three professional references
Application Link : click here and type in the Job ID: Application
Before you get started with the online application process, we recommend you preview the frequently asked questions (FAQs) by selecting the link below.
Apply Online FAQs
More searches like this
- Administrative Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Business & Administrative Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Affirmative Action & Equal Opportunity Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Student Affairs Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater
- Admissions, Enrollment, Retention & Registrar Not specified Full Time jobs in Whitewater