Special Assistant to the President
Community College of Philadelphia
The Special Assistant to the President supports the President in the planning and execution of a wide range of College-wide initiatives. The Special Assistant will work collaboratively with the President's Cabinet and Board of Trustees to provide assistance, resources, and/or additional staff support for follow-up on issues/concerns, projects, or programs emanating from the Office of the President. As a member of the President's senior leadership team, this position provides operational leadership, support and/or, supervision for high priority projects, and ensures coordinated implementation of high-level decisions. The Special Assistant will assist the President in planning and directing all administrative, financial, and operational activities for the Office of the President, and represent the President at internal and external events, when needed. The Special Assistant will maintain an informed understanding of the President's immediate priorities, deadlines, and expectations for projects and/or responses to issues and concerns; while maintaining a high level of confidentiality in discussing faculty, staff, student, and, or, Board of Trustees matters.
• Organizes and prioritizes critical issues and required information for the President to facilitate efficient decision-making.
• Organizes ongoing and new presidential initiatives, as directed, as well as manages projects assigned by the president that support fostering of an organizational culture that values innovation, celebrates employee success, promotes inclusion, and inspires excellence.
• Acts as a point of contact or gatekeeper between the President and other internal and external stakeholders.
• Builds and maintains mutually supportive relationships with all levels of management, staff, outside agencies and vendors, to coordinate and monitor assignments which must be accomplished in conjunction with other senior executives.
• Provides oversight and guidance to projects of high importance.
• Provides oversight, support, and guidance of the presidential executive support staff.
• Assists in advancing the mission and goals of the College while developing, monitoring, and executing the College's Institutional Effectiveness Plan, strategies, and all its component parts: planning, assessment, budgeting.
• Work closely with all areas of the College to ensure continuous improvement and ongoing compliance with the Characteristics of Excellence as set forth by the Middles States Commission on Higher Education.
• Manages all financial activities, including financial analysis and reporting, budgeting, and procurement for the Office of the President.
• Prioritizes requests and activities, using excellent judgement to determine which require the direct involvement of the President.
• Serves on planning and policy-making committees as directed by the President.
• Serves as the President's primary liaison with community leadership on key strategic and operational initiatives.
• Collaborates with the Enrollment & Strategic Communications division to coordinate special projects and events on behalf of the President.
• Assist in preparing reports and other communications on behalf of the President.
• Maintain confidentiality of privileged information and perform a wide range of duties that require sensitivity, independent judgment, diplomacy, discretion, and flexibility.
• In collaboration with Marketing & Communications provides assistance in the preparation of briefings, talking points, presentations, and proposals for the President for internal and external purposes.
• Represent the President and the College at internal and external meetings, as directed and needed.
• Master's degree in a related field required. Any and all degrees must be from a recognized institutional accreditor.
• Minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience in higher education.
• Knowledge and experience in models of continuous improvement for large complex institutions.
• Demonstrated ability to manage and meet multiple and constantly challenging deadlines.
• Self-directed and results-oriented with the ability to work with little supervision and the ambiguity of an ever-changing set of priorities.
• Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills.
• Highly collaborative and strong work ethic.
• A high level of professionalism, tact, discretion, confidentiality, and integrity required.
• Proven ability to collaborate well with others required.
• Excellent verbal, interpersonal, and written communication skills required.
• Strong attention to detail and ability to follow through and drive projects to completion required.
• Strong leadership skills and proven success leading projects of varying complexity required.
• Strong analytical, critical and strategic thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making skills required.
• An understanding of, and sensitivity to, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds of community college staff and students required.
• Doctorate degree preferred.
• Minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience in higher education preferably at a community college.
• Previous experience working directly for a member of a senior leadership team, college/president's cabinet staff member preferred.
Special Instructions to Applicants
*Interested persons should complete an online application.
*Cover letter of interest and resume REQUIRED.
*Names and contact information of 3 professional references OPTIONAL.
Review of applications will commence on May 13, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Applicants must be legally eligible to work in the U.S.
Community College of Philadelphia is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity and Equal Access Employer. The College encourages applications from individuals from traditionally underrepresented groups.
Salary Grade or Rank
Salary commensurate with relevant experience
Job Posting Open Date
Type of Position
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about Community College of Philadelphia?
- The Chronicle
- Veterans Job Fair
- Professional & Technology Diversity Career Fair
- AL DIA - Diversity Career Fair
- Community College of Philadelphia Website
- * If your answer to the above question is Other, please note
the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- No Response
- High School/GED
- Associates Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- * Do you have a minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience
in higher education?
- * Do you have previous experience working directly for a member
of a senior leadership team, college/president's cabinet staff
- * Do you have a minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience
at a community college?
- * Do you have knowledge and experience in models of continuous
improvement for large complex institutions?
- * Do you have strong leadership skills and proven success
leading projects of varying complexity?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application