Visiting Instructor of Business
The Harold Walter Siebens School of Business at Buena Vista University (BVU) seeks a dynamic teacher who is committed to excellence in undergraduate business education. The successful candidate will be a generalist who is prepared to teach a variety of business courses in the undergraduate curriculum in business, management, economics, entrepreneurship, personal finance, consistent with his/her credentials and interest. The position is a one-year visiting position. The start date is August 2021.
The Business major in the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business is designed to develop in students strong analytical, interpersonal, and professional skills grounded in a comprehensive understanding of contemporary business. The curriculum emphasizes experiential learning through opportunities such as internships, practicums, attendance at professional conferences, and partnering with faculty on research.
The Harold Walter Siebens Forum and the Harold Walter Siebens School of Business recently completed a $15.1 million-dollar renovation project to include state of the art classrooms, trading room, and refreshed office, gathering and dining spaces. The Harold Walter Siebens School of Business is an endowed school whose generous donors make it possible to support excellent value-added learning and professional development opportunities for students and faculty.
- Teach 12 credit hours per fall and spring semesters
- Deliver current, innovative business courses designed to grow key skills and knowledge in our students
- Practice quality interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Interact effectively with students and colleagues, function as an independent professional and work effectively as a team member
- Support and assist school and the University with projects and events
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Management, or a closely related field.
- Ability to teach a variety of courses in the business curriculum
- Ability to teach and guide the professional development of students
- Ability to build connections with colleagues and work effectively with the BVU community
- Experience teaching business courses at the post-secondary/university level
- Terminal degree in business or related area
- Relevant professional experience in industry
To apply, submit your letter of application, graduate school transcripts (photocopies acceptable with application; official copies will be required for appointment), teaching philosophy statement, current vita, and at least four professional references (including title, address, e-mail address and telephone number). Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled, with the priority deadline for submission of applications being April 30, 2021 for an August 2021 start date.
A background check will be conducted on the final candidate. Buena Vista University is an EOE/ADA/Smoke-Free Employer, and especially welcomes applications from individuals who will contribute to any aspect of the university’s diversity.
This position is not eligible for an employer-sponsored visa and all applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.
Buena Vista University
Buena Vista University is located on the shores of beautiful Storm Lake, a 3,200-acre natural lake located in Northwest Iowa. Since 1891, we have prepared students for lifelong success and blended liberal arts with real-world applications. BVU expands access to a quality education by empowering the people who propel Iowa forward in order to power rural vitality and personal prosperity. We foster an environment based on success both for our students and our employees, and we strive to build and support a diverse community. BVU firmly stands behind our motto, Education for Service, and was recently awarded the 2020 Carnegie Community Engagement Classification.
In Storm Lake you will find impressive amenities perfect for families, students, young professionals, and retirees alike. Residents and visitors enjoy an energetic downtown that is home to a variety of locally-owned retail stores that complement several national chains. There is an array of shopping, dining, and professional services, as well as a vibrant arts and multicultural environment. We are a diverse community in both population and opportunity. Most important, Storm Lake residents enjoy a relatively low cost of living and a high quality of life. Learn more at www.BVU.edu/StormLake .