Audience Producer (16058)
WAMU 88.5 is the leading public radio station in the greater Washington, D.C. area, and DCist. is our digital outlet for local news. We provide in-depth and enterprise reporting alongside essential daily news and information that aims to reflect and serve the diverse communities of our region. We believe in news as a public service and put our current and future audience at the center of our work.
The Audience Producer serves as the primary producer for DCist and WAMU’s editorial social media accounts, promoting our journalism in a consistent, engaging voice and growing our following. This role also manages other direct communication with audience members, including the comment section on our websites. The Audience Producer effectively uses analytics tools to make data-informed decisions about story promotion, new initiatives, and experimental content. This position also works on additional engagement and digital production tasks, such as homepage management. Occasionally, the Audience Producer supports other Audience team members in their work, as needed, serving as back-up producer of newsletters, or in facilitating events.
1. Manage social platforms and presence
- Write and schedule posts for official DCist and WAMU social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram), with a particular emphasis on resurfacing content and promoting evergreen stories. Establish a consistent, creative, and (when appropriate) witty voice on these platforms, mirroring our brands’ identities.
- Work to increase unique pageviews to stories, consistently seeking to amplify the reach of our journalism through social media promotion.
- In conjunction with Growth Editor, establish and execute both organic and paid strategies to grow our audiences on all social media platforms.
- Monitor and moderate online discussions. Promptly respond to those who engage with WAMU and DCist on social media properties, over email, and in the site’s comment section.
- Actively collaborate with reporters and editors to creatively engage the community across social platforms around individual stories, projects, and events. Spearhead experimental strategic initiatives.
- Serve as in-house subject-matter specialist on social media platforms, helping amplify and improve both brand accounts and reporters’ presences.
2. Engage audiences
- In collaboration with the Engagement Producer, identify ways to connect with the audiences and members of WAMU and DCist where they are. Work with reporters and editors to directly connect their work to the needs of the community.
- Work with the rest of the Audience team to experiment with alternative platforms for connecting with community members, including events and analog initiatives. Work in collaboration with Engagement Producer; Managing Editor, Audience; the Marketing department, and other team members to plan and execute engagement initiatives focused on serving specific strategic communities.
Essential Functions (Continued)
3. Conduct research and analysis
- Work in collaboration with Growth Editor to evaluate a range of analytics to inform decision-making around story promotion and future editorial content. Advocate for purpose-built content based on successes.
- Research news events, developing discussions, and trends worthy of news and social media coverage.
4. Produce newsletters
- Serve as the secondary producer of a daily local newsletter as-needed.
- Coordinate with Engagement Producer to execute strategies to grow newsletter subscriptions, particularly as it relates to social media.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Full time
- Sr. Coordinator / Analyst A
- This position is covered by SAG-AFTRA
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent
- 3-5 years of relevant experience
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- 3-5 years’ experience writing or producing social media in a professional journalism environment.
- Ability to write in a creative, conversational, and distinctive voice while still maintaining accuracy and adhering to editorial standards.
- Strong editorial judgment, a journalistic compass and the ability to make independent editorial decisions on behalf of WAMU.
- Deep understanding of established and emerging social media platforms, with knowledge of how to best leverage each tool for optimum audience growth and engagement.
- An appreciation and comfort level with breaking news situations.
- Attention to detail and the ability to write and copy-edit quickly
- Keen understanding of how to use analytics to guide editorial decision-making.
- Experience and appreciation for the emerging genre of newsletter writing. The ideal candidate is comfortable handling all aspects of a newsletter: writing, editing and producing.
- Understanding of best practices for growing a newsletter list using everything from partnerships to content to leveraging analytics and email newsletter best practices.
- Creativity and a comfort level with experimentation and risk
- A collaborative and team-focused attitude, with a desire to do your work with empathy, generosity and good humor.
- Click here to learn about American University's unique benefit options.
Current American University Employees:
If you are a current full-time or part-time staff member at American University, please log intoAsuccessfulU through themyAU portal . Once in AsuccessfulU, please select the Careers tile which will take you to our internal career page.
For more information or assistance with the American University careers site, email email@example.com .
American University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution that operates in compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The university does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, disability, marital status, personal appearance, gender identity and expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, source of income, veteran status, an individual’s genetic information or any other bases under federal or local laws (collectively "Protected Bases") in its programs and activities.
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Communications Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Digital Media Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Professional Fields Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.
- Journalism Not specified Full Time jobs in Washington D.C.