Accountant II - Department of Neurosurgery
Classification Title: Accountant II Job Description:
The Department of Neurosurgery is seeking experienced candidates in the areas of accounting, proposal processing and pre-award administration for Accountant II position. This is a highly responsible position within the department’s finance team that will be responsible for providing advanced professional financial support for the department and its Principle Investigators.
Sponsored Research Post Award Management: Responsible for all post-award activities for a subset of the department’s principal investigators. Duties will include, but will not be limited to:
o Manages all fiscal activity related to any contract or grant
o Responsible for monitoring and maintaining daily activities for all projects, including the release and transfer of funds into appropriate expenditure categories.
o Ensures expenditures and payments are appropriate and in accordance with agency and award stipulations
o Forecasts salary expenditures through the end of the budget period
o Responsible effort reporting requirements on projects, including information on required cost sharing
o Reviews subcontract certifications sent from Contracts and Grants (C&G) for PI approval. Investigates and handles accounting errors
o Provides progress reports for PI’s to keep them apprised of the project fiscal status, annual reviews, milestones, or other agency reports as needed
o Analyzes expenses, develops cost projections and provides financial tracking and fiscal control to fulfill reporting requirements
o Effort Reporting: Reviewing and editing, as necessary and submission of semester effort reports and creating of Faculty Assignment Reports (FAR)
o Creates Ad-Hoc reports
o Provides funding projections as requested
o Approves requisition and invoices submitted on research accounts
o Tracks approval on grants
o Payroll distributions
o Conducts annual budget meetings with assigned researchers
o Keeps PI’s abreast of changes in policies and procedures and varies funding agency requirements as they relate to contract and grant funding
Department Principal Investigator Support: Responsible for compiling data, running and providing fiscal reports in PeopleSoft, BA, Excel, and any other financial software to assist research leaders in making informed financial decisions. Assists Finance Manager and Grants Specialists with constructing and interpreting divisional reports and other reports as needed in order to assist leadership in making operational decisions. Duties to include, but not limited to:
• Compiles data, runs and provides fiscal reports in PeopleSoft, BA, Excel, and any other financial software to assist leadership in making informed financial decisions. Assists PIs with constructing and interpreting divisional reports and other reports as needed in order to assist leadership in making operational decisions.
• Oversight and tracking disbursement of funds related to core service utilization, research programs, and other commitments. Account set up processes, commitment control processes, and reporting.
• Ensures all expenditures adhere to the rules and regulations set forth by the University of Florida and applicable granting agencies regarding appropriate expenditures, authorizations, and frequency of reports; Advises leadership in the administration and set up of new processes and partnerships.
• Produces complex fiscal reports for Division Leaders, Managers, and Senior Leadership. Leads monthly financial update meetings with appropriate leadership, tailoring the report to their specific needs and providing additional supporting documentation and specific information as requested.
• Responsible for long-term financial forecasting and planning as well as cost containment and revenue growth strategies.
Department Financial Support. Works regularly with department finance manager in all aspects of department financials . Duties to include, but not limited to:
• Provides routine reports as needed.
• Planning, coordination and implementation of annual dept. budget
• Ad Hoc reporting as requested.
• Assists with the Dissemination of new UF Finance and Accounting policies to department faculty and staff
• Reviews and assists with changes to workflow and processes due to the continual growth of the Department both in size and complexity.
Back-up to Pre-award process. Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Serves as back-up to the Grant Administrator I and Grant Administrator III positions during absences and periods of high volume.
• Back up travel and expense approvals for department funds
$51,400 - $58,100
Bachelor's degree in an appropriate area and two years of relevant experience.
- 5+ years of UF finance experience preferred, including purchasing, research administration, payroll reconciliation and retro processing.
- Advanced knowledge of UF financial reporting platforms
- Advanced user knowledge of the UFirst System.
- Proficient in People Soft and Enterprise Analytics
- Knowledgeable of all aspects of proposal processing and pre and post award administration.
- Strong organization and time management skills; ability to plan, organize and coordinate work assignments
- Ability to professionally communication, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to work independently
For consideration, please complete an application and include a cover letter, resume and the names and email addresses of three to five references.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
This is a time limited position.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required: No