Biological Scientist II - Animal Husbandry
Biological Scientist II
The Department of Anesthesiology is seeking candidates with proven knowledge in animal care and has ability to humanely and compassionately work with animals for medical research. This position will be responsible for the day-to-day organization and management of a preclinical research laboratory specializing in rodent models of brain and spinal cord injury.
Duties to include:
- Perform pre/post-surgery animal care and monitor following brain and spinal cord surgeries; assist to collect behavioral data and perform computer analysis as needed; perform histology and immunostaining and microscopic image analysis.
- Review and improve the assigned experimental protocols. Prepare and submit animal protocols renewals/amendments, and all protocols/paperwork for lab compliance related issues, and prepare the lab for all inspections. Plan and conduct laboratory research in accordance with stipulated protocols and quality and safety standards.
- Monitor the quality of a team’s work and report on the accuracy of their results; advise undergraduate students related to their assigned lab work. Oversee daily activities of volunteers and supervise OPS staff.
- General laboratory maintenance, including ordering, inventory, managing compliance with hazardous waste and biological safety requirements, routine record keeping, maintaining stock solutions. Order lab supplies, maintain an inventory of lab supplies, and prepare justification for lab equipment requests. Operate requisite laboratory equipment and instruments; record data; maintain and make minor adjustments to equipment. Responsible for and required to protect laboratory intellectual property. This includes maintaining confidential data accurately and safely in accordance with laboratory notebook SOPs and UF IP policy. Archive and sign lab notebooks. Prepare and collect lab monthly reports.
- Assist in data compiling and data analysis, quantification, graphs to prepare figures for presentation in abstracts and manuscripts for publication.
$40,000 - $50,000
Bachelor’s degree in biology or a closely related field and three years of relevant experience; or a Master’s degree in biology or a closely related field and one year of relevant experience; Doctoral degree in biology or a closely related field.
- Proven knowledge in animal care and has ability to humanely and compassionately work with animals for medical research.
- Experience in laboratory management and/or willing to learn to manage an active preclinical research laboratory to adhere with all State and Federal regulatory requirements.
- Organizational skills with respect to data and time management.
- Ability to communicate clearly using both oral and written routes.
- Skills with working with various computer software and willing to work as a team member.
In order to be considered, you must upload your cover letter and resume.
The University of Florida is committed to non-discrimination with respect to race, creed, color, religion, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, marital status, national origin, political opinions or affiliations, genetic information and veteran status in all aspects of employment including recruitment, hiring, promotions, transfers, discipline, terminations, wage and salary administration, benefits, and training.
The UF Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) verifies that all personnel listed on new and continuing animal use protocols are included in the Animal Contact Program , a medical monitoring program. Access to Animal Care Services managed facilities or vivaria also requires program participation.
This is a time limited position.
This requisition has been reposted. Previous applicants are still under consideration and need not apply.
Application must be submitted by 11:55 p.m. (ET) of the posting end date.
Health Assessment Required: Yes
More searches like this
- Faculty Positions Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Health & Medicine Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Veterinary Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Science, Technology & Mathematics Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge
- Biology & Life Sciences Not specified Full Time jobs in Flamingo Lodge