Target Hire Date
07/26/2021 - 2 months to go
Join our community and experience Emerson College!
The Technical Director is the driver of realizing student scenic designs as they move from concept, into preliminary, and then into final design phase and its full realization. The TD works closely with all other technical areas in support of the fully staged production both virtual and in-person.
- budget preliminary and final scenic designs
- create and implement shop/build plans and schedules
- supervise and participate in all scenic construction
- lead and supervise scenic load-in
- installation of rigging, scenery & automation
- support during tech and performances
- supervise scenic strike and load-out
- Supervises the carpenter
NOTE: We plan to have the posting up for a minimum of 30 days as one of several steps to ensure a more inclusive search process.
- Candidates should hold a MA/MFA in Technical Direction for Theatre or equivalent experience
- 5-8 years' experience, preferably at an institution of higher learning.
- Other required skills include CAD/AutoCAD, Vectorworks
- Excel; OSHA-30 Certification and
- drivers license, or ability to obtain one.
Preferred experience with Transmedia Production:
- Building and maintaining individual, networked acting studios with green-screens, computers, cameras, lights in a variety of small spaces on campus.
- For actors working remotely, conduct virtual site visits, determine, create and send the technical elements to support their inclusion in the production including green screen, rigging, networking elements, etc.
- Support the software/hardware needs of the effort including Watchout, vMix, AutoCad, Vectorworks, Photoshop and other digital modeling software.
- Fulfill the scenic goals of the production that possibly includes physical scenery and scenic elements, digital renderings in 3D, including lighting, 3D large-scale models of designs for productions and other duties as assigned.
There is additional salary available, up to $70,000.00 based upon experience..
Grade of Position: A16E
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 36.25
Hiring Range: $61,350.00 - $64,300.00
To apply, please visit: https://emerson.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Emerson_College_Staff/job/Boston-Campus/Technical-Director_JR002314
Emerson College is the nation’s only four-year institution dedicated exclusively to majors in communication and the arts in a liberal arts context. Its main campus is located in the center of the dynamic multicultural city of Boston, in close proximity to major publishing houses, arts institutions, and research centers. The college also has campuses in Los Angeles and the Netherlands. Emerson College enrolls over 4,300 graduate and undergraduate students from more than 70 countries and all 50 states.
Emerson College believes diversity enriches the educational experience by providing students with the opportunity to learn from individuals who may have different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. Engagement with diversity in the curriculum, in our co-curricular offerings, and all other aspects of the College enhances the personal and intellectual growth of all members of our campus community. Emerson is committed to strengthening communities, including our workplace, by fostering the development of the intercultural competencies necessary for meaningful citizenship in an increasingly complex, pluralistic society. Emerson College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender in its educational programs or activities. Emerson has designated the Associate Vice President, Title IX, and Clery Coordinator to respond to inquiries regarding the College Sexual Misconduct Policy. The Title IX Coordinator may be reached at 8 Park Plaza, Transportation Bldg, Room 230 Boston, MA 02116; Telephone: 617-824-8999; email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Annual Clery Report
In accordance with the federal Clery and Campus SaVE Acts, Emerson College commits to providing all current and prospective students and employees with access to the annual campus security reports for each of our campuses. This report may be accessed from the Emerson College Police Department website.
Information on Emerson College staff grade range